Greasy Lake Community

Ghosts, Guitars, and the E Street Shuffle - New RS article

Bruce confirms that a tour was originally on the docket to support this record in 2021. Now, it seems that time is ticking away:

Were it not for the intervention of a once-in-a-century global catastrophe, Springsteen — who turns 71 on September 23rd — would right now be preparing for that world tour with the E Street Band. It was supposed to start, he reveals, in the spring of 2021. Instead, he says, “My antenna tells me, at best, 2022. And I would consider the concert industry lucky if it happens then.… I’m going to consider myself lucky if I lose just a year of touring life. Once you hit 70, there’s a finite amount of tours and a finite amount of years that you have. And so you lose one or two, that’s not so great. Particularly because I feel the band is capable of playing at the very, very, very top, or better than, of its game right now. And I feel as vital as I’ve ever felt in my life.… It’s not being able to do something that is a fundamental life force, something I’ve lived for since I was 16 years old.”

• Sad 2

Really digging the rawness and honesty ("I'm on drugs!") in this interview, providing us with very thought-provoking and eerie perspectives about death like this:

The loss of Clarence and Danny still echoes every day in my life,” says Springsteen. “I still don’t believe it. I’m like, ‘I’m not gonna see Clarence again? That doesn’t sound quite possible!’ I live with the dead every day at this point in my life. Whether it’s my father or Clarence or Danny, all those people sort of walk alongside you. Their spirit, their energy, their echo continues to resonate in the physical world.… A beautiful part of living is what we’re left by the dead.”

And he really does see his friends in his dreams. Terry Magovern, his friend and longtime assistant, who died in 2007, stops by “a couple times a year.” “I see Clarence every once in a while,” he says. “I’ll see the houses I lived in as a child. I’ll walk through their halls. We see all those folks in our dreams until we become a dream ourselves.”

• Love Love Love! 3

Letter to You is also full of the signature stylistic flourishes that Springsteen has largely avoided in the studio for decades: glockenspiel, lyrical piano intros, swelling organ chords, Jake’s uncanny evocation of Clarence’s call-to-arms solos. At one point in the sessions, Springsteen actually told Bittan to play more “E Street.” 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

It mentions on several occasions that Bruce has been hard at work on Tracks Vol. 2, and that he has "lost albums" and plenty of unreleased gems waiting to see the light of day. With that being said, there's this:

Could this be the last E Street Band album? “I think what he has come to realize is, it could be,” says Van Zandt. “Confronting one’s mortality is both truthful and realistic, and it can assist people who are in that frame of mind — who may be leaving, or who had someone pass right now that they love. And by the time this comes out, it could be 200,000 of us. It could be cathartic for those people. It could also be literal. At this point, if you have something to say, you better say it now! Don’t wait too much longer! Because who knows? I don’t think he meant it literally. And if it is the last album, y’know, we went out swinging. And if it’s not, we’re gonna have to come back, and we’re gonna have to beat it!”

Springsteen acknowledges that “no tomorrows are guaranteed,” but that’s as far as he’ll go on the subject.

• Like 1

He asks Aniello to break out a bottle of ice-cold Cuervo, and we sit down in front of a flatscreen to take in Thom Zimny’s movie of the Letters to You sessions. His longtime documentarian was there to capture every moment of recording, in evocative black and white, right where we’re sitting. (“There were, like, 20 cameramen there,” Weinberg recalls.) Springsteen’s plan is to show only 10 minutes or so of the movie, which will be out to accompany the album.

Instead, we end up watching the whole thing, for an hour and a half

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I got a freaky ole lady name a Cocaine Katy
Who embroiders on my jeans
I got my poor ole grey haired daddy
Drivin' my limousine
Now it's all designed to blow our minds
But our minds won't really be blown
Like the blow that'll gitcha when you get your picture
On the cover of the Rollin' Stone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Rizla said:

It sounds as though we have plenty to look forward to, even though no tour is imminent.

Just finished reading it and that’s the feeling I get - the new album, a 1hr30 movie  documenting the recording (after watching Neil Young’s Colorado session movie I’m very excited), Tracks II, several ‘lost’ albums, mystery projects, archives... wow 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

Just finished reading it and that’s the feeling I get - the new album, a 1hr30 movie  documenting the recording (after watching Neil Young’s Colorado session movie I’m very excited), Tracks II, several ‘lost’ albums, mystery projects, archives... wow 

And we already had a one new Springsteen single, a new From My Home to Yours radio show and a Archive series 1984 show in one weeks time

• Love Love Love! 1

Springsteen in his Colts Neck studio last fall. At the soundboard (from left): Roy Bittan, Jon Landau, Bruce Springsteen, Ron Aniello, Ross Petersen. Background (from left): Garry Tallent, Matt Payne, Kevin Buell.

Springsteen_Dstudio.thumb.jpg.f417c82a7d182ba0c4c97b971e7af81c.jpg

Who is Matt Payne?

• Like 3