Greasy Lake Community

21st Century Springsteen Recordings

While the average fan who purchases 'Devils’; 'Woad'; 'Hopes' and now 'Letters' .. won’t  realize how old some of the songs are on these records, let alone if they are 'covers’ or not - us 'Tramps' do.

I happen to love these albums, especially 'Hopes' - but for someone who’s been a serious 'Tramp’ since 1980, I have to say that I really miss him making CURRENT/NEW Material for albums. And I’m not talking about the tunes he’ll try out live a couple years prior to it’s release either like  “Ties” or “Further Up”.

The inclusion of these ancient songs on "Letters”; the 'covers’ & outtakes on 'Hopes’; the number of outtakes (let alone time span of writing) on 'Devils’ .... etc, etc - all make me feel that he’s rushing into releasing ANYTHING this century! This guy NEVER used to use lyrics from another artist for his music! I mean, when we saw that even Roy had credits to 'Roll Of The Dice' back in 92, we all raised our eyebrows! Basically, his records were current; his own and took time to make them so special. Even “Tunnel” took longer to manufacture than anything he’s done since 'The Rising’.

I feel the Rising; Magic & for the most part - Wrecking Ball, don’t follow in this category. Those were solid, thought-thru - hard hitting E Street records!

But what do I know? I’ve never written a song or played an instrument in my life! Hence, is he just fulfilling his contract with Sony? Is this what happens when you get older and better in your craft that what used to take two years now takes "5 Days” (are we supposed to be impressed)? Does he give as many shits as he once did? I mean, could he REALLY have not had another song laying around for "Letters” that he HAD to use something he wrote when he was 22?!?! Really?

Whatever the case - new, old, ancient - I love it all! However, this 50 Yr old 'Tramp’ sometimes misses those old days ... 

Take the good with the bad,

Brad

PS: My above mostly pertains to his work with the band. Hence, I’ve always expected less from his solo work; as unfair as that sounds. 

If you are trying to say that his albums released in the 2000s outside of Rising, Magic, and Wrecking Ball have been well below his established standard then I would agree with you. One is dreadful, the others largely uninspiring. But he’s not a passionate 30 year old anymore. Time moves on.

44 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

What lyrics from another artist has he used ?

He pinched a line from a book for a song on LT. The line popped up again in a song on Tracks. In fairness, he did give full credit. Unlike Bob, who has 'borrowed' for most of his career.:D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BruceHistory said:

While the average fan who purchases 'Devils’; 'Woad'; 'Hopes' and now 'Letters' .. won’t  realize how old some of the songs are on these records, let alone if they are 'covers’ or not - us 'Tramps' do.

I happen to love these albums, especially 'Hopes' - but for someone who’s been a serious 'Tramp’ since 1980, I have to say that I really miss him making CURRENT/NEW Material for albums. And I’m not talking about the tunes he’ll try out live a couple years prior to it’s release either like  “Ties” or “Further Up”.

The inclusion of these ancient songs on "Letters”; the 'covers’ & outtakes on 'Hopes’; the number of outtakes (let alone time span of writing) on 'Devils’ .... etc, etc - all make me feel that he’s rushing into releasing ANYTHING this century! This guy NEVER used to use lyrics from another artist for his music! I mean, when we saw that even Roy had credits to 'Roll Of The Dice' back in 92, we all raised our eyebrows! Basically, his records were current; his own and took time to make them so special. Even “Tunnel” took longer to manufacture than anything he’s done since 'The Rising’.

I feel the Rising; Magic & for the most part - Wrecking Ball, don’t follow in this category. Those were solid, thought-thru - hard hitting E Street records!

But what do I know? I’ve never written a song or played an instrument in my life! Hence, is he just fulfilling his contract with Sony? Is this what happens when you get older and better in your craft that what used to take two years now takes "5 Days” (are we supposed to be impressed)? Does he give as many shits as he once did? I mean, could he REALLY have not had another song laying around for "Letters” that he HAD to use something he wrote when he was 22?!?! Really?

Whatever the case - new, old, ancient - I love it all! However, this 50 Yr old 'Tramp’ sometimes misses those old days ... 

Take the good with the bad,

Brad

PS: My above mostly pertains to his work with the band. Hence, I’ve always expected less from his solo work; as unfair as that sounds. 

Agree and I even felt this way about Wrecking ball... there was no need for the three previously released songs to be on it.

The antithesis of this for me was Western stars which was honed over nearly a decade.... and you know what? It REALLY shined through. It is without doubt a late career masterpiece which i consider one of his best ever records.

I hope he doesn't water down those recent efforts with a rushed release. He's also, reputedly, been recording loads in lockdown but I doubt we will see any of that for 2-3 years!... if he wants to get loads out why not publish with his own record label, god knows he has enough money.

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

He pinched a line from a book for a song on LT. The line popped up again in a song on Tracks. In fairness, he did give full credit. Unlike Bob, who has 'borrowed' for most of his career.:D

'Poison snake bites you, your poison too'?

The whole D&D album (which I love), draws heavily from Cormac McCarthys boarder trilogy (beautiful books)  

• Like 2

I don’t mind older songs being used/re-recorded if they lend to the theme and arc of the album. I thought Land of Hope and Dreams fit on Wrecking Ball. High Hopes, however, was just mish mash of songs thrown together and called an album. I feel the new album will be the same way. If  I was the Preist, Song for Orphans, Janey, and Letter to You don’t seem to be related at all. I fear this will just be another collection of songs, albeit some strong and enjoyable, but not a true album.

54 minutes ago, Wbt774 said:

I don’t mind older songs being used/re-recorded if they lend to the theme and arc of the album. I thought Land of Hope and Dreams fit on Wrecking Ball. High Hopes, however, was just mish mash of songs thrown together and called an album. I feel the new album will be the same way. If  I was the Preist, Song for Orphans, Janey, and Letter to You don’t seem to be related at all. I fear this will just be another collection of songs, albeit some strong and enjoyable, but not a true album.

I have a similar feeling. Hope it's wrong.

I've never treated High Hopes as a proper Springsteen album. Listening to it now, it is as you say just a collection of songs written at different times thrown together. Some of the outtakes were great and i'm glad he released them, but some of them...well, let's just say you can see why they didn't end up on an official album. 

Regarding Letter to you, I'm struggling to get my head around the inclusion of these ancient nearly 50 year old outtake songs being given a new life, re-recorded and put on an official album right near the end of his recording career. These were songs from a completely different time, and even though they were beautifully written and very intense songs, they were composed when he was a very young man, hugely influenced by Dylan, and trying to find his way and desperate to get a record contract.

I might be completely wrong and Letter to you turns out to be yet another great Springsteen album, but I have to say the whole thing seems a bit rushed to me, and coming a year after the release of a truly magnificent album in Western Stars, I just hope it doesn't turn out to be an underwhelming effort from the great man.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

7 hours ago, BruceHistory said:

While the average fan who purchases 'Devils’; 'Woad'; 'Hopes' and now 'Letters' .. won’t  realize how old some of the songs are on these records

Which older songs on WOAD?

9 hours ago, MacBruce said:

I have a similar feeling. Hope it's wrong.

I've never treated High Hopes as a proper Springsteen album. Listening to it now, it is as you say just a collection of songs written at different times thrown together. Some of the outtakes were great and i'm glad he released them, but some of them...well, let's just say you can see why they didn't end up on an official album. 

Regarding Letter to you, I'm struggling to get my head around the inclusion of these ancient nearly 50 year old outtake songs being given a new life, re-recorded and put on an official album right near the end of his recording career. These were songs from a completely different time, and even though they were beautifully written and very intense songs, they were composed when he was a very young man, hugely influenced by Dylan, and trying to find his way and desperate to get a record contract.

I might be completely wrong and Letter to you turns out to be yet another great Springsteen album, but I have to say the whole thing seems a bit rushed to me, and coming a year after the release of a truly magnificent album in Western Stars, I just hope it doesn't turn out to be an underwhelming effort from the great man.

Exactly this

On 9/22/2020 at 12:11 PM, Jertucky said:

If you are trying to say that his albums released in the 2000s outside of Rising, Magic, and Wrecking Ball have been well below his established standard then I would agree with you. One is dreadful, the others largely uninspiring. But he’s not a passionate 30 year old anymore. Time moves on.

Just, what’s with the rush? 

Meaning, how do you go from taking years to make a record to it taking less than a week?  Again, I don’t know shit about making/playing music but something doesn’t seem right with this .... again, what ever happened to making a shit load of different songs to come up with something great? 

Brad

5 minutes ago, BruceHistory said:

Just, what’s with the rush? 

Meaning, how do you go from taking years to make a record to it taking less than a week?  Again, I don’t know shit about making/playing music but something doesn’t seem right with this .... again, what ever happened to making a shit load of different songs to come up with something great? 

Brad

Maybe at 71 he doesn’t see time to make a pile of songs before paring them down to 12 or so quality ones? I don’t know. It seems like over the years he found those early records to be somewhat torturous. He fixated on them to a point that, while they served us well with some phenomenal music, may not have been mentally healthy for him. I am intrigued to see what this quick and live approach produces.

On 9/24/2020 at 9:16 AM, Jertucky said:

Maybe at 71 he doesn’t see time to make a pile of songs before paring them down to 12 or so quality ones? I don’t know. It seems like over the years he found those early records to be somewhat torturous. He fixated on them to a point that, while they served us well with some phenomenal music, may not have been mentally healthy for him. I am intrigued to see what this quick and live approach produces.

I hear ya dude .... your probably right. Meanwhile the new songs rock, especially "Ghost” .... so much for taking more time to make a record lol

Brad

• Bruuuuce! 1