Greasy Lake Community

My Biggest Bruce Regret ?

59 minutes ago, A Saint in the city said:

Two main regrets... 

1. Listening to my wife (not a Bruce fan) after the Cardiff concert in 2008, that I did not need to go the hotel bar in Celtic Manor but should go straight up to the room. Apparently found out the next morning that Bruce and the band had been in their drinking. 

2. Listening to my wife that it was a waste of money to go to Brazil for a weekend just to see Bruce do Rock in Rio, and that she forbid me to go. Watching it on YouTube it looked like an amazing experience.... 

FYI - we are now no longer together... I should have spotted the signs...

Very sad to read that

Im very fortunate i was allowed to go to Canada for WB and also to see Bruce since here in NZ - but its never plain sailing living with someone who doesn't like Bruce

People who have Bruce- tolerant and Bruce- supportive partners (never mind actual like minded  fans) have no idea what  we have to go through to get what we need

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2020 at 8:37 PM, Jimmy James said:

My biggest regret is not joining sooner to this bandwagon. I seen Bruce in 78, not impressed, seen Bruce in 84, great but The tunnel of love happened, not interested. 2007 when my daughter turned me back to this is when I finally got it. Obsessed since. 

This. Bruce's music really hit me at the right time in my life (if that makes any sense). I just wish that moment had come a little sooner. I can so relate to your story: if somebody had dragged me to see Bruce live in 2003/2004-2011 when I was only a little bit interested in his work, I certainly wouldn't have been impressed. There's just no way I would've got it back then even though I did have a feeling there was something about this guy...

• Like 1

I have had a blast for the last 40 years, BUT I regret Bruce cancelling the Greensboro show in 2016 to make a political statement at the expense of his fans!! part of my fanaticism died when he did that! 

One can only assume that he won't tour the USA if Trump wins in November?

• Haha 1

My sad, crushing regret. I have never, not once seen Bruce live in concert. It looked like I was going to go to the Denver show the day before the Bossman's birthday, 9/22/03, but that fell through. The closest I ever got. In general I have a hard time seeing concerts anymore because of money and work (It's heartbreaking to me that I never got to see Bob Seger live, now that he's done, his music goes back to childhood with me, thirty-five years or something. I always said to myself that there would be other tours, until there weren't any more.)

I hate it that I missed Danny and Clarence. What a fool am I.

• Sad 4

On 9/29/2020 at 10:12 PM, Beautiful Loser said:

My sad, crushing regret. I have never, not once seen Bruce live in concert. It looked like I was going to go to the Denver show the day before the Bossman's birthday, 9/22/03, but that fell through. The closest I ever got. In general I have a hard time seeing concerts anymore because of money and work (It's heartbreaking to me that I never got to see Bob Seger live, now that he's done, his music goes back to childhood with me, thirty-five years or something. I always said to myself that there would be other tours, until there weren't any more.)

I hate it that I missed Danny and Clarence. What a fool am I.

Does Bruce ever get close to Colorado ?

I feel so sad reading your post 

This isnt fare at all

2 hours ago, Beautiful Loser said:

If he does indeed tour again in 2022 at the earliest according to his comments, I’ll save up, see if I can work extra if necessary and go see him. I’ll crawl over broken glass. Here’s hoping. 

We will give you all the extra encouragement you may or may not need :)

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 1

Not going to a free 1973 show on a Saturday afternoon at a small room at my college (Seton Hall in NJ). Bruce got no radio play back then and all I heard was that he was a "Dylan wannabe." I was stupid.

Two years later, I would see him in the Seton Hall Gym - my second Bruce show after the Bottom Line show changed my life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’m happy I can say I have no big regrets concerning Bruce. I only proper one world be getting into Bruce for real a few months too late to catch the World Tour 1992/1993.

• Bruuuuce! 1

I guess I kinda have another one. When I was a kid, back in the mid to late '80s, my mom (who is directly responsible for me falling in love with the music of Bob Seger as a boy, my first taste of the wonders of not only rock n' roll but music as a whole) would play Born In The USA allll the time in the car and I...hated it. This was the guy that was a rocker in the same vein as Seger? I couldn't hear that. Most of all, I found Bruce's voice lacking compared to the warm Detroit rasp of Seger (whose voice is very nearly as familiar to me as my mom's or brother's).

It took me a good 17 years to realize what an idiot I was. I discovered Nebraska and lost my sh*t at the unreal brilliance of the songwriting and went to pick up everything, even warming up to BITUSA. Ah well, Mr. Slow on the Uptake over here.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Beautiful Loser said:

I guess I kinda have another one. When I was a kid, back in the mid to late '80s, my mom (who is directly responsible for me falling in love with the music of Bob Seger as a boy, my first taste of the wonders of not only rock n' roll but music as a whole) would play Born In The USA allll the time in the car and I...hated it. This was the guy that was a rocker in the same vein as Seger? I couldn't hear that. Most of all, I found Bruce's voice lacking compared to the warm Detroit rasp of Seger (whose voice is very nearly as familiar to me as my mom's or brother's).

It took me a good 17 years to realize what an idiot I was. I discovered Nebraska and lost my sh*t at the unreal brilliance of the songwriting and went to pick up everything, even warming up to BITUSA. Ah well, Mr. Slow on the Uptake over here.

For me Nebraska is not so much a regreat so much as a missed opertunity 

I got BITUSA for either my birthday or Christmas 1984 

I didn't know to ask for Nebraska so Dad didn't know to buy it

But if i had had Nebraska, even as a 13 year old i would not have got off this train back in the day and had to wait till early this century to get back on 

3 hours ago, Elbow said:

My biggest Brucie regret is that as a 9 year old in 1975 I saw the future of Rock & Roll and it's name was the Wombles_50577847_000528003-1.jpg

I got the cassette tape and it was crap

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I got the cassette tape and it was crap

Those Wombles songs are brilliant pastiches of all sorts of musical styles. One of those songs was co-written with Mozart, and that guy didn't co-write with just anyone. Mike Batt is a genius.

I was gutted that one of the concerts I lost this year was Mike Batt. I had hotel and train booked, but then came lockdown. Fingers crossed for a suitable re-arrangement next year that can go ahead.

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Those Wombles songs are brilliant pastiches of all sorts of musical styles. One of those songs was co-written with Mozart, and that guy didn't co-write with just anyone. Mike Batt is a genius.

I was gutted that one of the concerts I lost this year was Mike Batt. I had hotel and train booked, but then came lockdown. Fingers crossed for a suitable re-arrangement next year that can go ahead.

Oh dear,

well in my defence Its not the first time i havn't been impressest by the musical genius of certain other artists

The Wombles  (and i actually love the Wombles) are in good company sitting in that corner with Sting and Bono :lol:

On 9/26/2020 at 4:34 AM, jag3004 said:

I have had a blast for the last 40 years, BUT I regret Bruce cancelling the Greensboro show in 2016 to make a political statement at the expense of his fans!! part of my fanaticism died when he did that! 

One can only assume that he won't tour the USA if Trump wins in November?

Wasn’t a tour as such but he did quite a lot of shows on Broadway post-Trump’s unfortunate election in 2016. Unless I am mistaken, Broadway is in the US. 

2 hours ago, Tenthavenuefreezeout said:

I probably will never go to his concert .Since he don't held concerts in Asia

You must not give up hope

We have several members who live off the Bruce Springsteen  map

Not that long ago NZ, South Africa and South America was far off the map

This covid thing won't last for ever

I never thought i would get to see Bruce Springsteen and i ended up seeing him in Canada the first time

No matter how unlikely you think things are right now please don't give up hope

Anything is possible

And welcome to greasylake 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2020 at 11:45 AM, BITUSA said:

Wasn’t a tour as such but he did quite a lot of shows on Broadway post-Trump’s unfortunate election in 2016. Unless I am mistaken, Broadway is in the US. 

But getting voted in twice? would that be unfortunate? again? but it was a rhetorical question, as are these