Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

New Single - GHOSTS


Recommended Posts

Archive footage I've spotted:

Ahmanson Theater 1973 - I think! Clips available in the BTR boxset

Widener 1975 - nothing more than what we've seen before

Red Bank 1976

Madison Square Garden 1979 (No Nukes) - can't recall seeing the shots from the bleachers before. Footage looks great.

San Siro 2016 

There's probably more - people who have been to the Zimny talks will probably recognise more!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nick21 said:

Archive footage I've spotted:

Ahmanson Theater 1973 - I think! Clips available in the BTR boxset

Widener 1975 - nothing more than what we've seen before

Red Bank 1976

Madison Square Garden 1979 (No Nukes) - can't recall seeing the shots from the bleachers before. Footage looks great.

San Siro 2016 

There's probably more - people who have been to the Zimny talks will probably recognise more!

Bottom Line ’75 is in there and it’s _goddamn_ frustrating!!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, DennisC said:

Bottom Line ’75 is in there and it’s _goddamn_ frustrating!!

Ah, of course, that head-on camera angle! 

Haven't noted every piece of archive footage, but here's what I've clocked on second look (ignore what I may have written before, I've crosschecked this!)

0:59 looks like a cleaned up 1973-12-15 Nassau College (lacks the green tint we're used to).

1:10 is Bottom Line 1974-07-xx (date unknown, but it's the footage with Bruce wearing glasses that we've seen before).

1:12 is the first shot from 1975-08-16 Bottom Line

1:54 studio shots of Clarence and Danny - no idea on these! 

2:09 WOW. 1979-09-22 MSG No Nukes, surely?

2:13 first shots from No Nukes (1979-09-22, I imagine)

3:01 given the closing shots are from San Siro 2016, I suspect this is, too.

3:38 1976-08-xx Red Bank (we know it's shot on three camera, Bruce's black shirt makes it obvious)

4:00 2016-07-03 San Siro - the signs are the giveaway here http://brucebase.wikidot.com/gig:2016-07-03-stadio-giuseppe-meazza-milan-italy

4:27 Likely 1979-09-22 again, but definitely No Nukes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

Love the archive footage. Some nice words in there, but  meh, it's Bruce by numbers. Two songs in and his writer's block is evident.

I couldn't agree more, Paul. When I heard the drum intro I thought I'd accidentally clicked on the video for "We Take Care Of Our Own". A fairly generic and overall very bland rock tune, and those super-clichéd lyrics to me are his worst since "Queen Of The Supermarket". Loved the 1970s footage though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thunderoad02 said:

I have felt like this for his past few band albums. Western Stars was good. But his last decent album of band material was Magic IMO. 
 

His band work since has just felt generic. Nothing particularly bad...just not great either. 
 

im still looking forward to the rest of the album, but the first two releases don’t do much for me sadly. 

I feel the same. Always a little disappointed to hear these new full e-street band songs. The bombast big sound had its time in the 70’s-90’s and Bruce was the Boss. But these new songs, and a lot from everything beyond The Rising feels like generic Bruce. Absolutely loved Western Stars and it’s hard to believe this vanilla retro sound is what is following it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jerm23 said:

I feel the same. Always a little disappointed to hear these new full e-street band songs. The bombast big sound had its time in the 70’s-90’s and Bruce was the Boss. But these new songs, and a lot from everything beyond The Rising feels like generic Bruce. Absolutely loved Western Stars and it’s hard to believe this vanilla retro sound is what is following it. 

I just think when he writes for the band he pull out with his focus. It’s less detailed and more about the thunder. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jerm23 said:

I feel the same. Always a little disappointed to hear these new full e-street band songs. The bombast big sound had its time in the 70’s-90’s and Bruce was the Boss. But these new songs, and a lot from everything beyond The Rising feels like generic Bruce. Absolutely loved Western Stars and it’s hard to believe this vanilla retro sound is what is following it. 

It’s funny how we all hear different thing. I can’t think of anything more “vanilla retro” sounding that Western Stars. While it was certainly a different sound for Bruce, it wasn’t breaking new ground overall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After a few listenings: I really like it. It conveys the perfect feeling of a live in the studio album. It makes me think of a mix between We take care of our own (the drumming) and I'll work for you love, but it sounds more agressive and raw.

It has the classic E Street feel, but it also remind me of a Rolling Stones song.

Thumbs up, as far as I'm concerned.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...