Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lights out Max starts playing Good evening fiiiiiine citizens of *insert city here* - is there anybody alive out there? One, two  One, two, three, four "I hear the sound of yo

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. It's a song full of those complex (and yet perfectly simple) contradictions that Bruce so brilliantly draws together in his music.  The melody, the band, is a starburst

Played the song four times back to back on big headphones tonight whilst watching the video. So powerful watching 50 years of his career like that. Brilliant song, and fittingly great video. Feel so p

Posted Images

Archive footage I've spotted:

Ahmanson Theater 1973 - I think! Clips available in the BTR boxset

Widener 1975 - nothing more than what we've seen before

Red Bank 1976

Madison Square Garden 1979 (No Nukes) - can't recall seeing the shots from the bleachers before. Footage looks great.

San Siro 2016 

There's probably more - people who have been to the Zimny talks will probably recognise more!

1 minute ago, Nick21 said:

Archive footage I've spotted:

Ahmanson Theater 1973 - I think! Clips available in the BTR boxset

Widener 1975 - nothing more than what we've seen before

Red Bank 1976

Madison Square Garden 1979 (No Nukes) - can't recall seeing the shots from the bleachers before. Footage looks great.

San Siro 2016 

There's probably more - people who have been to the Zimny talks will probably recognise more!

Bottom Line ’75 is in there and it’s _goddamn_ frustrating!!

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, DennisC said:

Bottom Line ’75 is in there and it’s _goddamn_ frustrating!!

Ah, of course, that head-on camera angle! 

Haven't noted every piece of archive footage, but here's what I've clocked on second look (ignore what I may have written before, I've crosschecked this!)

0:59 looks like a cleaned up 1973-12-15 Nassau College (lacks the green tint we're used to).

1:10 is Bottom Line 1974-07-xx (date unknown, but it's the footage with Bruce wearing glasses that we've seen before).

1:12 is the first shot from 1975-08-16 Bottom Line

1:54 studio shots of Clarence and Danny - no idea on these! 

2:09 WOW. 1979-09-22 MSG No Nukes, surely?

2:13 first shots from No Nukes (1979-09-22, I imagine)

3:01 given the closing shots are from San Siro 2016, I suspect this is, too.

3:38 1976-08-xx Red Bank (we know it's shot on three camera, Bruce's black shirt makes it obvious)

4:00 2016-07-03 San Siro - the signs are the giveaway here http://brucebase.wikidot.com/gig:2016-07-03-stadio-giuseppe-meazza-milan-italy

4:27 Likely 1979-09-22 again, but definitely No Nukes

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

Love the archive footage. Some nice words in there, but  meh, it's Bruce by numbers. Two songs in and his writer's block is evident.

I couldn't agree more, Paul. When I heard the drum intro I thought I'd accidentally clicked on the video for "We Take Care Of Our Own". A fairly generic and overall very bland rock tune, and those super-clichéd lyrics to me are his worst since "Queen Of The Supermarket". Loved the 1970s footage though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, thunderoad02 said:

I have felt like this for his past few band albums. Western Stars was good. But his last decent album of band material was Magic IMO. 

His band work since has just felt generic. Nothing particularly bad...just not great either. 

im still looking forward to the rest of the album, but the first two releases don’t do much for me sadly. 

I feel the same. Always a little disappointed to hear these new full e-street band songs. The bombast big sound had its time in the 70’s-90’s and Bruce was the Boss. But these new songs, and a lot from everything beyond The Rising feels like generic Bruce. Absolutely loved Western Stars and it’s hard to believe this vanilla retro sound is what is following it. 

Just now, Jerm23 said:

I feel the same. Always a little disappointed to hear these new full e-street band songs. The bombast big sound had its time in the 70’s-90’s and Bruce was the Boss. But these new songs, and a lot from everything beyond The Rising feels like generic Bruce. Absolutely loved Western Stars and it’s hard to believe this vanilla retro sound is what is following it. 

I just think when he writes for the band he pull out with his focus. It’s less detailed and more about the thunder. 

3 minutes ago, Jerm23 said:

It’s funny how we all hear different thing. I can’t think of anything more “vanilla retro” sounding that Western Stars. While it was certainly a different sound for Bruce, it wasn’t breaking new ground overall.

After a few listenings: I really like it. It conveys the perfect feeling of a live in the studio album. It makes me think of a mix between We take care of our own (the drumming) and I'll work for you love, but it sounds more agressive and raw.

It has the classic E Street feel, but it also remind me of a Rolling Stones song.

Thumbs up, as far as I'm concerned.  

• Like 2