Greasy Lake Community

New Single - GHOSTS

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

Steve Earle has just announced on his website that he's contacted Bruce's music publisher for a share of the royalties.

Yeah definitely hearing that, I couldn't quite think what it reminded me of but that's it. Mediocrity borrows and genius steals, as they say...

1 hour ago, the highway is alive said:

GRAMMYS NOTNIN BUT LIBS PATTING EACH OTHER IN THE BACK.....NO GRAMMY WINS FOR TOBY KEITH IS A DISGRACRE

We need more "react" emoticons on the board for some of these posts, I swear. Maybe one that mutes Caps Lock.

Jokes aside, digging this new single. This driving rock feels like what Human Touch and Lucky Town should've been. Triumphant and upbeat, but with appropriate passion and perspective.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jertucky said:

I like it. I hear it as a solid B level song, of which Bruce has a ton (with Born to Run, Thunder Road, etc..... being A level songs). I think, from hearing the first two songs, that it could make an A level album. His albums typically are greater than the sum of their parts so I’m looking forward hearing the whole product.

14 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

I think this is one of those songs that will really take on new heights in concert. Can hear it already. Great song.

^ These two comments capture my thoughts very very well. I am digging it. Listened only once. Tired right now, too tired for this sort of music, but had to give it a listen. I'm enjoying it. I will take "generic Bruce" if that's what this is, since, well, I like Bruce. lol. 

14 hours ago, gaityr said:

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH.

It's a song full of those complex (and yet perfectly simple) contradictions that Bruce so brilliantly draws together in his music. 

The melody, the band, is a starburst of joy; the lyrics are defiantly full of life and love, yet are leavened with grief and loss. Life and death in the same breath, the same musical phrase.

The ghosts are gone. The ghosts live on.

As with the best rock songs, it's a reminder of our mortality. Not simply in the Grim Reaper, 'everyone dies' sense, but a reminder that the flip side is also true - 'everyone lives'. So we live while we're here. With the life and time we have, with the ghosts who have left us but will never leave us. 

I'm so glad to be alive at the same time that Bruce Springsteen is making music.

This, too, was an excellent comment. With the implicit mortality in "Letter To You"'s meta reflection, really really interested in doing a deeper dive on this one and the album as a whole and the commentary about 'ghosts' - too tired to be too eloquent about it now - but, this seems like a very very interesting album to me thematically

• Love Love Love! 1

First listen.really loved it

Who doesn't  have a few  ghosts  in their head  as we all get older 

But after my one listen i don't hear anything sad infact i found it upbeat and optimistic 

He's  a survivor 

• Like 4

No this is one the great ones. 

First song by bruce I've listened to seven eight times consecutively in a really long time (others being the one two punch of "Girls in their Summerclothes/I'll Work For Your Love", Outlaw Pete, Queen of the Supermarket and I'm Alive).

I'm not kidding, but this sounds seriously better than anything on Born in the USA and takes the sentiment of Bobby Jean and No Surrender to another eternal level.

It is probably one of the epicest power music i've heard -- much because of the length and chanting aura which makes it grow and grow and grow. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

First listen.really loved it

Who doesn't  have a few  ghosts  in their head  as we all get older 

But after my one listen i don't hear anything sad infact i found it upbeat and optimistic 

He's  a survivor 

It really is a survivor's song. Looking back on things and people lost who are never really lost and feeling the love that once shared without getting stuck in the past because you're still alive and kicking.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

30 minutes ago, Breakaway said:

It really is a survivor's song. Looking back on things and people lost who are never really lost and feeling the love that once shared without getting stuck in the past because you're still alive and kicking.

I think we will enjoy the record Breakaway

• Like 2

A great song in a year where alot of us have been forced to look at mortality,death is perhaps the last great taboo to be discussed.

I feel that alot of the ghosts here are his own & possibly the fans,alot of old footage of times that aren't going to repeat themselves,they are ghosts walking among us & Bruce,no he can't give what he could 40 years ago but he'll do what he can even if there is stone & gravel in his voice,he still wants to count the band in & kick into overdrive,in a way this might be more of a letter to us than the first song,though a letter to himself aswell,so many ghosts amongst us.

• Like 2

Oh yes what a song. I find it a blend of his later rockers esp wrecking ball songs together with his RiverBITUSA outtakes sound . I think the outro is fabulous - the piano and sax - these could well have improved the song sprinkled within the main body of song too. Couple of people saying they hear particularly Steve Earle in this. I hear it too but can’t nail it to a particular song. Besides Earle would be celebrating any comparison with Bruce for sure !!! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, balboa08 said:

First listen i liked it but thought it was ok, not great. But on subsequent listens this has really grown on me.

Is George Theis's ghost in on this song?

Maybe. The guy wearing a buckskin jacket seems to be someone else, though.

2 hours ago, Breakaway said:

The guy in a buckskin jacket in the Castiles was Curt Fluhr.

He is wearing it in three pictures.

castilesdotnet_springsteen_the_castiles_9.jpg

And the guy under the “I” is Simon Helberg. ;) (or his biological father).

4 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Oh yes what a song. I find it a blend of his later rockers esp wrecking ball songs together with his RiverBITUSA outtakes sound . I think the outro is fabulous - the piano and sax - these could well have improved the song sprinkled within the main body of song too. Couple of people saying they hear particularly Steve Earle in this. I hear it too but can’t nail it to a particular song. Besides Earle would be celebrating any comparison with Bruce for sure !!! 

I Ain't Ever Satisfied.

• Like 1