Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Recommended Posts

Difficult to get good internet out here but finally managed to hear it. Radio Nowhere on steroids for me love the lyrics it is a fact as you get older you dwell more in the past. It is perhaps A bit generic but still brilliant. It’s Bruce and could be no one else can’t wait for the album

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lights out Max starts playing Good evening fiiiiiine citizens of *insert city here* - is there anybody alive out there? One, two  One, two, three, four "I hear the sound of yo

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. It's a song full of those complex (and yet perfectly simple) contradictions that Bruce so brilliantly draws together in his music.  The melody, the band, is a starburst

Played the song four times back to back on big headphones tonight whilst watching the video. So powerful watching 50 years of his career like that. Brilliant song, and fittingly great video. Feel so p

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, BruceHistory said:

I’d say this is a shower opener! Great song! Sounds better every time ......

 

Brad

You sing several songs in the shower, then?

  • Haha 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2020 at 7:25 PM, Ciaran said:

 

Yeah definitely hearing that, I couldn't quite think what it reminded me of but that's it. Mediocrity borrows and genius steals, as they say...

It's a pretty standard guitar riff, used in probably thousands of songs. Steve can't lay claim to it anymore than Bruce. In any case only the first half of the riff sounds like the Steve Earle song, the second half resolves itself on a different note, therefore altering the riff enough anyway to make it 'original'.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm clearly on my own here in finding "Ghosts" a bit depressing.
I'm alive and I'm out here on my own
I'm alive and I'm coming home

Sounds like it's lonely being the only one left alive, and he's looking forward to "coming home" aka dying.
Sorry.

I don't like the la-la-las at the end either - I could see that going on for a boringly long time live.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I'm clearly on my own here in finding "Ghosts" a bit depressing.
I'm alive and I'm out here on my own
I'm alive and I'm coming home

Sounds like it's lonely being the only one left alive, and he's looking forward to "coming home" aka dying.
Sorry.

I don't like the la-la-las at the end either - I could see that going on for a boringly long time live.

Well, the lyrics are the blues, the tune is the gospel. Pretty classic for A Bruce song.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kooly said:

That main riff sounds like something from XTC.

That's interesting... any particular XTC song (or songs) or more a general sound?

XTC were better on 45 than on 33 (but like everyone says these days, that's only an opinion:)).

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I Ain't Ever Satisfied.

Ah yes  I hear that , but as someone else said on this thread Steve can’t lay claim to that one rising succession of notes . The rest of the song is quite different . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lampi said:

That's interesting... any particular XTC song (or songs) or more a general sound?

XTC were better on 45 than on 33 (but like everyone says these days, that's only an opinion:)).

I hear Generals and Majors in there.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really liked this song a lot. The music, lyrics and the overall theme of the song and the music video feels very typical Bruce, and that's OK with me.

Since the song was released the day after mom died these lyrics felt very special and personal right now:

It’s just your ghost
Moving through the night
Your spirit filled with light
I need, need you by my side
Your love and I’m alive

Thank you Bruce.

  • Like 3
  • Hug 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, High Lonesome said:

I really liked this song a lot. The music, lyrics and the overall theme of the song and the music video feels very typical Bruce, and that's OK with me.

Since the song was released the day after mom died these lyrics felt very special and personal right now:

It’s just your ghost
Moving through the night
Your spirit filled with light
I need, need you by my side
Your love and I’m alive

Thank you Bruce.

I'm sure they did. I'm sorry for your loss.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, High Lonesome said:

Thanks.

Yeah, it was a fitting song for me these days.

Did your mom just die two days ago or was that the anniversary of the day she died? Either way, sorry for your loss and I could see how this song could nail your feelings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

Did your mom just die two days ago or was that the anniversary of the day she died? Either way, sorry for your loss and I could see how this song could nail your feelings. 

Thank you.

My mom got cancer a little more than three years ago, and we knew from the start that she had at most five years left. Earlier this year we started to realize that she most likely wouldn't make it to the next year. And this summer her disease got a lot worse, and the latest month (especially the last two weeks), was basically only a long wait for her to be released from her pain. 

And Wednesday, September 23, this week she passed away. 

Bruce Springsteen's music have been so important to me this time, and so many of his songs have felt very meaningful. And the release of Ghosts was no exception.

I actually started a thread about this named ”Bruce Springsteen's music as consolation in times of grief”. It's a lot of personal text, but I felt I wanted to write down some of my thoughts. 

  • Like 1
  • Hug 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, High Lonesome said:

Thank you.

My mom got cancer a little more than three years ago, and we knew from the start that she had at most five years left. Earlier this year we started to realize that she most likely wouldn't make it to the next year. And this summer her disease got a lot worse, and the latest month (especially the last two weeks), was basically only a long wait for her to be released from her pain. 

And Wednesday, September 23, this week she passed away. 

Bruce Springsteen's music have been so important to me this time, and so many of his songs have felt very meaningful. And the release of Ghosts was no exception.

I actually started a thread about this named ”Bruce Springsteen's music as consolation in times of grief”. It's a lot of personal text, but I felt I wanted to write down some of my thoughts. 

Watching a parent worn down until death is not an easy experience but I found it to be a pretty enlightening one (my own mother died a very slow and painful death over about a 15 year period, passing away 24 years ago).  As a person of faith I found it important and helpful to lean on God initially. As time has gone on I’ve taken solace in enacting her (and my father’s) principles in my life. When Bruce sings and talks about the connectedness we have with the deceased I find it to be true. Other then seeing and speaking to them in the flesh, they are as alive to me now as they were when they were on this earth. Godspeed to you on this next step of your journey.

  • Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Hug 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rizla said:

I'm clearly on my own here in finding "Ghosts" a bit depressing.
I'm alive and I'm out here on my own
I'm alive and I'm coming home

Sounds like it's lonely being the only one left alive, and he's looking forward to "coming home" aka dying.
Sorry.

I don't like the la-la-las at the end either - I could see that going on for a boringly long time live.

I know what you mean, the getting together to make album in 5 days for Bruce is extraordinary as well, don’t like to make predictions but I think no more tours

Link to post
Share on other sites

Over mu dead body touring and concerts are over

I've only  seen Bruce  5 times  and i want  my 78 intro and my long kitty 

Reading that rolling stone article gives me all the hope i need  

  • Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

It's a pretty standard guitar riff, used in probably thousands of songs. Steve can't lay claim to it anymore than Bruce. In any case only the first half of the riff sounds like the Steve Earle song, the second half resolves itself on a different note, therefore altering the riff enough anyway to make it 'original'.

I doubt there is much that is "original" anymore in rock music. Artists have been using the same building blocks for decades. I am sure many will remember the great John Fogerty once getting sued for plagiarizing his own song!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! I just listened to it for the first time. I got shivers and started smiling during the first chorus and those shivers barely left me during the rest of the song...This is the Bruce I love the most! That chorus is one of his best and most soaring in ages! An instant modern day Bruce classic for me! I'm so happy that I really liked this!

If I were to nitpick I would want the song to end just before the la-la-la's though. I like that part in itself, but to me the song feels fulfilled already before that part starts. I think the 80's Bruce would've ended the song before that part, but this is 10's Bruce...Which is fine since the song is so great anyway. <3

  • Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also: While I have nothing against Soozie Tyrell or strings in general, I'm so glad that we probably will mostly get piano, guitar and organ melodies this time around instead of something like the Lonesome day or Waitin' on a sunny day strings. They're beautiful too, but generally I kinda get tired of that type of sound more easily compared to piano or guitar melodies.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 10:23 PM, NorthSideJimmy said:

There won't be concerts in years to come.

Well, it's way too early to know, but given how tiny album sale margins are these days, I doubt live concert won't be back. For sure it won't be for early next year, as Bruce himself pointed out in his recent RS interview.

My guess is big acts (who weren't on tour early this year) will carefully watch how the rescheduled shows of their pairs actually work out in 2021, before making their move. Too much money is involved.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank said:

Well, it's way too early to know, but given how tiny album sale margins are these days, I doubt live concert won't be back. For sure it won't be for early next year, as Bruce himself pointed out in his recent RS interview.

My guess is big acts (who weren't on tour early this year) will carefully watch how the rescheduled shows of their pairs actually work in 2021, before making their move. Too much money is involved.  

Elton John's final farewell tout jist got rescheduled into 2023 here

He got sick mid show a while  back and had to postpone the rest of his kiwi shows 

Gotta admit im a bit disgusted how the fans (not to sure of their degree of fandom) have reacted throughout the whole sorry drawn out episode 

The man was sick - they are still getting a concert 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...