Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

New Single - GHOSTS


Recommended Posts

On 9/25/2020 at 1:05 PM, Rizla said:

I'm clearly on my own here in finding "Ghosts" a bit depressing.
I'm alive and I'm out here on my own
I'm alive and I'm coming home

Sounds like it's lonely being the only one left alive, and he's looking forward to "coming home" aka dying.
Sorry.

I don't like the la-la-las at the end either - I could see that going on for a boringly long time live.

I like the la-la-las, the whole song, but that part's kind of like Sing This Song All Together

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2020 at 9:05 PM, Rizla said:

I'm clearly on my own here in finding "Ghosts" a bit depressing.
I'm alive and I'm out here on my own
I'm alive and I'm coming home

Sounds like it's lonely being the only one left alive, and he's looking forward to "coming home" aka dying.
Sorry.

I don't like the la-la-las at the end either - I could see that going on for a boringly long time live.

I see the coming home as dying,though I thought it more of accepting mortality than looking forward to dying but maybe it's not being afraid of it,there are friends in both places.

I can also see the point of view that it is depressing though I see it more positively.

The la la ending is possibly the only downside,the first time I heard the opening vocal I winced but the more I play it it seems to fit more.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Frank said:

Well, it's way too early to know, but given how tiny album sale margins are these days, I doubt live concert won't be back. For sure it won't be for early next year, as Bruce himself pointed out in his recent RS interview.

My guess is big acts (who weren't on tour early this year) will carefully watch how the rescheduled shows of their pairs actually work out in 2021, before making their move. Too much money is involved.  

 

Good point about the 2021 rescheduled shows. I think it would be very hard for an artist or band to organize a tour for 2021 as pretty much every tour from 2020 has been pushed to 2021, which would make it very difficult to organize a full tour around the few free days that venues would have available. And if things don't improve and 2021 shows start getting pushed again, 2022 seems to be the most likely for a fresh booked new tour I feel if we're lucky.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No touring means that Bruce might very well follow through on releasing the archival stuff.  As the Boss of a big money making business he has to keep his and Landau's staff busy.

In lots of ways I might actually prefer that, tbh. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

No touring means that Bruce might very well follow through on releasing the archival stuff. 

And writing, recording and releasing new music too.

The new album, with the 3 (very) old songs, is a combination of both.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Lampi said:

And writing, recording and releasing new music too.

The new album, with the 3 (very) old songs, is a combination of both.

Indeed. Actually your comment in another thread about Bruce reworking the outtakes on The Promise and The Ties That Bind made me listen to both compilation again after a long time. And I was amazed by the amount of new vocals on both projects, especially for the lesser known tracks. Stripped to a single CD, The Promise might well be considered a 2010 rerecording of old ideas, and some of its pop numbers are suspiciously close to what's on Working on a dream, with barely any resemblance to the classic Darkness material. Of course Letter To You is in a different category, but the inclusion of the three old songs is probably less surprising if we take the two most recent boxsets into accounts.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ciaran said:

 

Good point about the 2021 rescheduled shows. I think it would be very hard for an artist or band to organize a tour for 2021 as pretty much every tour from 2020 has been pushed to 2021, which would make it very difficult to organize a full tour around the few free days that venues would have available. And if things don't improve and 2021 shows start getting pushed again, 2022 seems to be the most likely for a fresh booked new tour I feel if we're lucky.

There are plenty of available venues, someone just needs to look around past the usual suspects, get new promoters ( all acts, not just Bruce)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ciaran said:

 

Good point about the 2021 rescheduled shows. I think it would be very hard for an artist or band to organize a tour for 2021 as pretty much every tour from 2020 has been pushed to 2021, which would make it very difficult to organize a full tour around the few free days that venues would have available. And if things don't improve and 2021 shows start getting pushed again, 2022 seems to be the most likely for a fresh booked new tour I feel if we're lucky.

There are plenty of available venues, someone just needs to look around past the usual suspects, get new promoters ( all acts, not just Bruce)

Dam it!

Cant post pictures 

Just imamgine a beautiful cripplingly exspensive Dunedin covered stadium - complete with real live turf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

There are plenty of available venues, someone just needs to look around past the usual suspects, get new promoters ( all acts, not just Bruce)

I think it could be difficult to just switch promoters in the U.S. or Europe, as many acts have contracts that exclusively tie them to certain promoters. These promoters again have contracts that tie them to certain venues.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

I think it could be difficult to just switch promoters in the U.S. or Europe, as many acts have contracts that exclusively tie them to certain promoters. These promoters again have contracts that tie them to certain venues.

 

Well hopefully they do a better job in your part of the world 

What ever frontal touring is called now are absolutely bastards the way they they dictate which cities/ countries  get shows and who gets left out in the cold and im sick to the back teeth of Jimmy Barnes as a support act

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any way just had another look at the video

I really like it and for once any nostelga doesn't make me in the least bit sad

It dies sound like a great opener like WTCOOO and also MMITCT 

I think Bruce is very fortunate to be visited by his freinds and Dad in good dreams - mine are always weird or horrible because i have too many blankets on or eat cheese before bed or something 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My optimism makes me believe that there will be one or more highly effective vaccines in global circulation by later next year and economic issues will slowly improve to the point where one last big ESB tour can begin in early 2022 through until 2023. 

I would like to think Bruce has already begun working on a solo acoustic album and he will use 2021 to record one or two more solo albums to keep in the can. By the time ESB is over in 2023 he will be 74 and god willing he will then spend the rest of his performing life playing acoustic shows from the material he will have had the time to produce next year. That is all a best case scenario and if it personally gives me another ten or so times to see the great man up on stage in concert then it will be a privilege so worth waiting for, and great occasions to add to our wonderful experiences of the past. 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

My optimism makes me believe that there will be one or more highly effective vaccines in global circulation by later next year

 

 

 

I'd say that's realistic, not optimistic. Or maybe that's just my optimism.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even with a vaccine, asking 50,000 people to squash into a stadium together is asking a lot of them. And of the promoters that have to book out the stadia and make financial  guarantees their end.

All responsibility goes back to Bruce, and on that basis I can't see any way they'll tour until at least 2022.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have watched this video more than any other since the days when videos were an actual huge thing. Don't know what it is about Ghosts video, maybe the old clips, the audience clips, Bruce and the gang looking well....

This video has also sent me back to the official video for Dream Baby Dream.  In the current climate, when it seems it will be a long time before standing in a pit, drinking cold beer from plastic glasses on warm days, having the Bruce craic, all seems so far away.  Maybe its that which makes the DBD dream induce tears. 

  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Even with a vaccine, asking 50,000 people to squash into a stadium together is asking a lot of them. And of the promoters that have to book out the stadia and make financial  guarantees their end.

I think you're right about that, especially when it comes to promoters. Covid-19 has been the perfect storm for them, and they must have been insured for that this time around, but things will probably change in the near future. Insurance companies will significantly raise their cost if they believe another general shutdown in possible.

I think it will be interesting to watch what happens with the (yet to be) rescheduled dates for The Rolling Stones, and for Guns N' Roses as well (a huge stadium tour covering more continents, and one of the last act to stop for the pandemic this year).  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've finally figured out what 'Ghosts' reminds me of.  It's The Adventures, 'The Sound Of Summer'.  I can hear a bit of resemblance in the chorus. 

It's a very different song, and probably not many people will know it.  Never released as a single, but if it had been it would probably be on every summer playlist ever.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I've finally figured out what 'Ghosts' reminds me of.  It's The Adventures, 'The Sound Of Summer'.  I can hear a bit of resemblance in the chorus. 

It's a very different song, and probably not many people will know it.  Never released as a single, but if it had been it would probably be on every summer playlist ever.

 

 

Thanks for linking. I enjoyed it. The sound reminds me of U2. Especially Red hill mining disaster during the last part of the verse.

Edit: Apparently the singer was in the power pop band Starjets before. Cool! I really like one of their songs.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Even with a vaccine, asking 50,000 people to squash into a stadium together is asking a lot of them. And of the promoters that have to book out the stadia and make financial  guarantees their end.

All responsibility goes back to Bruce, and on that basis I can't see any way they'll tour until at least 2022.

There will be no more tours ever again.

The last Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band show that will ever be was in Auckland, New Zealand, over 3 and a half years ago. (unless some "socially distanced" or "virtual" concert is attempted, and that's not the real thing)

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

There will be no more tours ever again.

The last Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band show that will ever be was in Auckland, New Zealand, over 3 and a half years ago. (unless some "socially distanced" or "virtual" concert is attempted, and that's not the real thing)

i-dont-believe-it.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...