Greasy Lake Community

Based on the title song and Ghosts

49 minutes ago, Cozmic Kid said:

It's time to call it quits.

Or atleast stick to releasing old songs.

Aye. I'm uninspired so far. They're OK, and Brian Fallon would probably donate a kidney to have written them, but so far not so good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

The sleight of hand here is the production of the two videos. Nostalgia city, playing to the core fanbase. This is not a forward looking album by the sound of it, and I find sadness in that.

Give me good nostalgia over some forlorn attempt at being 'forward looking'.   

Should he be releasing an alternative R&B album?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Growin' Up said:

Give me good nostalgia over some forlorn attempt at being 'forward looking'.   

Should he be releasing an alternative R&B album?

I would take 'good' nostalgia, yes.

If he uses the '79 arrangement, the new version of JNA Shooter will be the album's storming highlight. And possibly a career highlight. Can't wait for that triple guitar fest attack.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Aye. I'm uninspired so far. They're OK, and Brian Fallon would probably donate a kidney to have written them, but so far not so good.

Maybe he has written them?

As you say, they are okay. But nothing special. Far from it. More like covid-19 of music.

Not what I expected. I thought we were past these "disappointments".

I'm a bit underwhelmed too - so far. But the signs were already there in some his comments. It's simply not possible to create new, original and melodically interesting music at the kitchen table on an acoustic guitar and then invite your old pals around for a few days to do full band versions in the home studio. The risk is you end up at best with a rush job which is competent but generic sounding. 

Truly great music like all great art takes time to craft. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Demos said:

I'm a bit underwhelmed too - so far. But the signs were already there in some his comments. It's simply not possible to create new, original and melodically interesting music at the kitchen table on an acoustic guitar and then invite your old pals around for a few days to do full band versions in the home studio. The risk is you end up at best with a rush job which is competent but generic sounding. 

Truly great music like all great art takes time to craft. 

Dylan finished the masterpiece that is  Highway 61 in six days, start to finish. Clearly, he rested on the seventh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It’s always best to withhold judgement on a Springsteen album until hearing the whole thing. For instance, I was encouraged by Tucson Train but it turned out to be an outlier and the rest of the album stunk. I’m not expecting Born to Run from him at 71. I’d be happy to have Magic or even The Rising at this point. I’m getting the sense of a cohesive, rocking album which is a definitely a positive.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Well, all information indicate this is a burst project, recorded to be as fresh and as classic E Street live as possible. Self-referential Rock 'n Roll is also probably the driving theme of the album, if it has any. We have Ghosts, which is basically an ode to present and past (and passed) band camrades. We know House of A Thousand Guitars will be a sort of R'n'R heaven, and the known lyrics of Last Man Standing refers to playing in a bar band.

So in this respect, both Letter to You and Ghosts bode well, if you asked me. More importantly, I wouldn't aspect anything new or progressive from this album.  

Finally I would not be surprised if Letter To You turned out being among the weakest numbers on the album. I'll go out on a limb and suggest it might have been chosen as a title track because it has the most suitable title for an album. Time will tell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

It’s always best to withhold judgement on a Springsteen album until hearing the whole thing. For instance, I was encouraged by Tucson Train but it turned out to be an outlier and the rest of the album stunk. I’m not expecting Born to Run from him at 71. I’d be happy to have Magic or even The Rising at this point. I’m getting the sense of a cohesive, rocking album which is a definitely a positive.

I loved Tucson Train but Moonlight Motel was the highlight for me. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jertucky said:

I beg to disagree. Western Stars was a masterpiece (and I mean that literally), it was the first time we have heard 'Springsteen' songs (depth, lyricism, philosophy) for about a decade.

I like this Ghosts but I hope the whole album does not come off as rushed in comparison to WS.

One observation for me, and it seems to be happening more and more, is the clunky way in which lyrics are delivered, the often feel forced, disjointed. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Dylan finished the masterpiece that is  Highway 61 in six days, start to finish. Clearly, he rested on the seventh.

Yeah, but in 1965 rock was still young and Highway 61 comprises for the most of a fairly generic set of blues tunes normally sung over repeating chord sequences. Tombstone Blues has just 2 chords repeated over and over. It was fresh and original then but 55 years later rock audiences have high expectations.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nick21 said:

Based on the title song and Ghosts...

...I’m less excited about this album than I was after hearing the first two singles from Western Stars. 

For me it is just the other way around. But I also see this from what i have heard as a kind of farewell album with the ESB. Maybe we get hopefully one more ESB tour if it´s possible (with age and Covid 19). And futher on Bruce is gonna clean up his vaults with releasing box-sets with outtakes. That is my prediction for now

• Like 2

I am unsure at this point about the 2 songs released, musically they certainly haven't reached out and grabbed me by the throat. I do like the sentiment of the lyrics and I am very keen to hear the album in its entirety and give it a good listen.

But whether or not I end up liking this album, I want Bruce to put out new music for as long as he can and wants to because that next release may be one that resonates with me and give me that kick inside.

Plus I also love the thrill of anticipation when a new album is announced.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Western Stars is amongst my favourite ever Bruce albums. I remember feeling a little let down after the first two singles. Nice enough songs, and they sounded beautiful, but they didn’t match the pre release blurb about detailed, character based songwriting. The rest of the album sure did.

So, I’ll wait for the full album here. Again, we have two good enough songs (Ghosts is by far the better for me) and let’s see what follows. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2

2 hours ago, The_Magic Rat said:

I beg to disagree. Western Stars was a masterpiece (and I mean that literally), it was the first time we have heard 'Springsteen' songs (depth, lyricism, philosophy) for about a decade.

I like this Ghosts but I hope the whole album does not come off as rushed in comparison to WS.

One observation for me, and it seems to be happening more and more, is the clunky way in which lyrics are delivered, the often feel forced, disjointed. 

You know, you’re right (as am I) because it’s just an opinion.

That said, a “Springsteen song” is not just lyrics. If it was just about lyrics they would be poems. And I think some of the lyrics are laughable anyway, but that is all personal preference as well. 

• Bruuuuce! 1