Greasy Lake Community

Based on the title song and Ghosts

21 hours ago, Cozmic Kid said:

It's time to call it quits.

Or atleast stick to releasing old songs.

You're having a laugh. Are you an actual fan? WS was his best album since TOL and the two songs so far show great promise for the alum. Why do you want him to stay in the past? That's not what an artist does.

• Like 5
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven’t seen the video but I love the song - it’s just a fun song, what’s not to love?  The way I see it is we are lucky to be getting anything from Bruce. Tom Petty died suddenly aged 5 years

Granted the songs are no WIESS, BTR or Darkness caliber...nothing will ever come close to those again.  It's not possible.  Bruce raised the bar all the way up with those releases.  But these songs ar

Love both songs. This is going to be a great album. 

22 minutes ago, philipboyle said:

You're having a laugh. Are you an actual fan? WS was his best album since TOL and the two songs so far show great promise for the alum. Why do you want him to stay in the past? That's not what an artist does.

Agree re. Western Stars, its why my preference would be for him to work on honed solo albums. For example we have been told that he has been prolific during lockdown... at this stage of his career/life he shouldnt be afraid to release experimental stuff as an EP, straight to spotify... plenty of other artists do it.

• Like 1

Taste is all so very personal.  That's why professional song and album reviews are a laugh.  That and they always act like they know exactly what the artist is trying to say.

For me, Ghosts is the best E Street tune I have heard in a long time.  Letter to You is less appealing but still enjoyable.  I know zip about music production, but these new songs feel more raw and powerful and hearing that the album was recorded basically live in 5 days adds credence to that.  It feels less polished but in a good way, if that makes sense.  Again, just personal preference.  One of the reasons I love The River so much is it captures the intensity of the band so well.  These two songs, particularly Ghosts, remind me of that.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Marnix said:

For me it is just the other way around. But I also see this from what i have heard as a kind of farewell album with the ESB. Maybe we get hopefully one more ESB tour if it´s possible (with age and Covid 19). And futher on Bruce is gonna clean up his vaults with releasing box-sets with outtakes. That is my prediction for now

I totally agree... This is Bruce's last bit of fun with the ESB for sure... and for that I applaud him.

• Like 3

I watched the video for Ghosts a couple of times yesterday.

I heard it  on the radio for the first time this morning and I was slightly embarrassed. It really is a generic, heard it all before tune, and casual listeners could be forgiven for thinking that they've heard it all before.  I think the greatness of the video may have tricked some fans into thinking that it is actually a great song.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

I watched the video for Ghosts a couple of times yesterday.

I heard it  on the radio for the first time this morning and I was slightly embarrassed. It really is a generic, heard it all before tune, and casual listeners could be forgiven for thinking that they've heard it all before.  I think the greatness of the video may have tricked some fans into thinking that it is actually a great song.

I think you may be a little right

43 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

I think the greatness of the video may have tricked some fans into thinking that it is actually a great song.

I'm reminded of the SOB film where he says a couple of times how good he is at pulling off magic tricks, deceivingly. "That's how good I am."

2 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

I'm reminded of the SOB film where he says a couple of times how good he is at pulling off magic tricks, deceivingly. "That's how good I am."

It just a pure nostalgia track, which has its place. The emphasised count in. The piano interlude. The sax. But it says nothing, it isn't powerful. It is fairly generic dad rock-pop.... but I did enjoy it more than Letters.

I don’t think it has to say much. Ramrod doesn’t say much but it’s fun to listen to. Out in the Street isn’t exactly breaking any new ground in lyrical depth but is a great song. Western Stars sounds like crap but (from what people say on here) has great lyrics. This sounds like an album to roll the windows down, turn up the volume, start the car and hit the road. I’ll take that everyday of the week as opposed to Western Stars where the inclination is to insert the hose, roll the windows up, start the car and close the garage door.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Have to agree with the general sentiment on here. A little disappointed after the fresh-sounding treasure that is WS.

Mind, Ghosts is much better than Letter To You, which was a truly forgettable by-the-numbers track. I also agree with the person who said the song structure is generic yet clunky where the lyrics seemed forced into the verses i.e. the syllables are drawn out where they shouldn't be and vice versa.

Let's see what the rest of the album is like but for sure this is looks like a nostalgia-led project. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

I don’t think it has to say much. Ramrod doesn’t say much but it’s fun to listen to. Out in the Street isn’t exactly breaking any new ground in lyrical depth but is a great song. Western Stars sounds like crap but (from what people say on here) has great lyrics. This sounds like an album to roll the windows down, turn up the volume, start the car and hit the road. I’ll take that everyday of the week as opposed to Western Stars where the inclination is to insert the hose, roll the windows up, start the car and close the garage door.

We get it that you don't like 'Western Stars', but if you must keep telling us so, please do so in a less offensive way than saying "it stunk" or it's "crap". 
And you really have gone too far with that last comment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Rizla said:

We get it that you don't like 'Western Stars', but if you must keep telling us so, please do so in a less offensive way than saying "it stunk" or it's "crap". 

I'll stop saying WS is crap, when people stop saying how great it is! ;)

BTW: how are people comparing these two new songs to WS anyway? Two different genres! 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, philipboyle said:

No I hate Bruce.

Bon Jovi is 10 times better.

• Haha 3
24 minutes ago, Rizla said:

How about, “It’s embarrassing garbage  that should have stayed in the vault”?

Like Jimmy James said, when people stopping saying how great it is, I’ll stop saying how horrendous it is. And before I get labeled as some sort of a Bruce hater (though then again, label me as you wish. I really don’t care.) read the rest of my post complimenting the new stuff. I like what I like and don’t like what I don’t like. I’m not bothered in any way by people not liking what I do.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Can we please stop bringing up WS for this new album?  I think we heard enough about WS with the multiple threads on it when it was released.  

Uh oh. We lost a ton of Lakers due to censorship. Let's not go there again

:huh:

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

Western stars sounds glorious and it says a heck of a lot :P. We'll have to agree to disagree :)

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Can we please stop bringing up WS for this new album?  I think we heard enough about WS with the multiple threads on it when it was released.  

There should always be a place to appreciate it amongst his top 4-5 albums. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Ugh...no.  But to each his own.

OK, back to the new songs.

Good idea.

They are both great in my opinion.

He is doing what he does best....and is still producing wonderful material in his 70's.

Strange when Bruce tries something different there is a clamour from some for him to get back to some rock and roll with the ESB, then when he does that it's "well, he isn't doing anything different, it's all generic". Rock and roll is generic. Bruce has done all the masterpiece albums he is ever going to do with Western Stars in my opinion being his latest one. It's now a case of let's have some fun at the end of his career, and let's get the tons of unreleased material out in the next few years. Hopefully with a final tour to follow whenever that can be.

I loved Western Stars. I think the thing about Bruce that makes him stand out from anyone else in my opinion is the variety of styles he has used on different albums. Nebraska, Devils, Western Stars, The Rising, Joad...all different, but still have the Springsteen magic poured all over them. I'm confident this album is going to b another cracker like Magic. However if I genuinely don't like it when it comes out I will definitely say so.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1
58 minutes ago, The_Magic Rat said:

Western stars sounds glorious and it says a heck of a lot :P. We'll have to agree to disagree :)

I didn’t say it doesn’t have something to say. I can’t really hear what it has to say because it sounds terrible to my ears. It’s like most music at church. I’m sure it has a great message (the Bible is a heck of a book after all, in the written word) but I don’t like the way it sounds.

Anyway, here’s to hoping Letter to You is a solid rock album.

On 9/24/2020 at 10:10 AM, Cozmic Kid said:

It's time to call it quits.

Or atleast stick to releasing old songs.

Seriously? I happen to think "Ghost" is a good song and would make a nice show opener! I think we need to wait to hear the new 9 songs to pass full judgement. But I have a problem with these three songs written during WW2 appearing on a brand new album! It’s one thing to play a new tune a few years before it’s release but the time span for these should have seen them on the next "Tracks" .... I have a hard time believing he didn’t have a few others laying around, etc.

Brad