Greasy Lake Community

Based on the title song and Ghosts

4 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Yes. There HAS to be room here to criticise Bruce if we feel it justified. Even severely criticise. For whatever reason. After all, he does have feet of clay.  When he's brilliant  I say so. When he's rubbish or under par, I say that too.

But, how it's said is equally important.

I tried to edit my original response but it didn’t work for some reason.

Is your saying “he’s rubbish” not more offensive than me saying some songs or an entire album is “garbage”? I mean, rubbish and garbage are the same thing only I’m applying the term to a person’s artistic output while you are applying it to the person. I think the issue may be more about who is saying it than what is being said.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I haven’t seen the video but I love the song - it’s just a fun song, what’s not to love?  The way I see it is we are lucky to be getting anything from Bruce. Tom Petty died suddenly aged 5 years

Granted the songs are no WIESS, BTR or Darkness caliber...nothing will ever come close to those again.  It's not possible.  Bruce raised the bar all the way up with those releases.  But these songs ar

Love both songs. This is going to be a great album. 

in my opinion Bruce wrote some of the best pop songs in the 70s and 80s  never on general release until a lot appeared on tracks, this album has partially it seems been originally written years ago, perhaps it could be a forerunner of tracks 2, simple,generic maybe but still brilliant

On 9/24/2020 at 3:58 PM, Promise61 said:

Aye. I'm uninspired so far. They're OK, and Brian Fallon would probably donate a kidney to have written them, but so far not so good.

There are at least 4 songs on the new Fallon album (and the previous one) that are infinitely better; try Vincent for one.

On 9/25/2020 at 2:11 AM, Demos said:

I'm a bit underwhelmed too - so far. But the signs were already there in some his comments. It's simply not possible to create new, original and melodically interesting music at the kitchen table on an acoustic guitar and then invite your old pals around for a few days to do full band versions in the home studio. The risk is you end up at best with a rush job which is competent but generic sounding. 

Truly great music like all great art takes time to craft. 

Unless it's Nebraska....

On 9/26/2020 at 3:11 AM, Jertucky said:

I don’t think it has to say much. Ramrod doesn’t say much but it’s fun to listen to. Out in the Street isn’t exactly breaking any new ground in lyrical depth but is a great song. Western Stars sounds like crap but (from what people say on here) has great lyrics. This sounds like an album to roll the windows down, turn up the volume, start the car and hit the road. I’ll take that everyday of the week as opposed to Western Stars where the inclination is to insert the hose, roll the windows up, start the car and close the garage door.

I must have missed this post before

While i do love WS (Im a Glen Campbell fan at heart) i almost fell of my chair laughing reading your words 

Mind you i also find WS too sad to listen to 

• Like 1
On 9/26/2020 at 8:42 AM, rosiejaneymary said:

We can agree to disagree about WS.  

I know you don’t care for it, you know I absolutely looooove it.  

For many reasons, I personally hate comparing albums to begin with.

I too don’t get why if we’re taking about the new one, we have to bring up any other album; especially one some feel the need to constantly slam.  

Anyway... I love both new releases. 

More so every time I hear them.  

While we're all repeating ourselves :)

What i love about Bruce is no two, and certainly no consecutive two albums ever sound the same 

Darkness was no BTR 2, TOL was no BITUSA 2

No way is letter to you going to sound like WS

I would  describe every Bruce album as It  sounds like Bruce, just not quite how ive heard him before 

What is generic Bruce anyway ?

I love the river - if it sounds like that ill lap it up like a thirsty 'horse

I very much look forward to this new album and also a time when i can really appreate the beauty that abounds in WS

• Like 2
On 9/24/2020 at 12:11 PM, Demos said:

I'm a bit underwhelmed too - so far. But the signs were already there in some his comments. It's simply not possible to create new, original and melodically interesting music at the kitchen table on an acoustic guitar and then invite your old pals around for a few days to do full band versions in the home studio. The risk is you end up at best with a rush job which is competent but generic sounding. 

Truly great music like all great art takes time to craft. 

Tell that to Van Morrison who made Astral Weeks in 48 hours and John Hiatt who recorded Bring the Family in one week.  Contrast that with Human Touch in which Springsteen slaved over that record for well over a year ... then he recorded Lucky Town in just weeks.  Which one is better?  The length of time to make a record is not directly proportional to its quality.

• Like 3
On 9/30/2020 at 9:12 PM, The_Magic Rat said:

There are at least 4 songs on the new Fallon album (and the previous one) that are infinitely better; try Vincent for one.

I like Brian Fallon but match the songs in general and Bruce’s are way ahead . The other problem I have with Fallon is that he tosses GA away like a used match whereas Bruce would never do this to ESB .... ESB more like a infinite gas powered lighter :D

• Like 2
On 10/3/2020 at 11:00 PM, Thunder Roadie said:

I like Brian Fallon but match the songs in general and Bruce’s are way ahead . The other problem I have with Fallon is that he tosses GA away like a used match whereas Bruce would never do this to ESB .... 

Eh? He did toss them away once. And didn't untoss them for donkey's years.

• Sad 1
On 10/5/2020 at 9:45 AM, Promise61 said:

Eh? He did toss them away once. And didn't untoss them for donkey's years.

Exactly. And when I saw them live it looked like Fallon did not want to be with them . The only time he looked like he was having fun was when Dave Hause came on stage to join him .

On 10/3/2020 at 10:48 PM, G-Man said:

Tell that to Van Morrison who made Astral Weeks in 48 hours and John Hiatt who recorded Bring the Family in one week.  Contrast that with Human Touch in which Springsteen slaved over that record for well over a year ... then he recorded Lucky Town in just weeks.  Which one is better?  The length of time to make a record is not directly proportional to its quality.

Astral Weeks  is an album of largely overlong three chord vamps with 'the man' warbling aimlessly  over them the way he does. It sounds like it was made in 48 hours. Sorry, I just never got the appeal of the blandness of Val Doonican - sorry, Van Morrison. 

On 9/24/2020 at 10:24 PM, Wbt774 said:

I thought Letter to You was meh but Ghosts is outstanding!

I am the opposite. I much prefer LTY, it’s mature and majestic.

There’s something a bit off with Ghosts. The tone of the guitar is a bit grating. The ‘shouted”, abrupt vocals. And it reminds me of Sing This All Together by the Stones on Satanic Majesties. The last couple of minutes anyways. 

I think a lot of the critcism has to do with time. I'm sure many who love deep album tracks from 30 or 40 years ago would totally burn these same songs down if they were released today. Half of the River album are generic, superficial, 3 1/2 min songs, that today most would consider to be rubbish. But when he now plays them live the same people go nuts.

• Like 2