Greasy Lake Community

New Rolling Stone interview.... The Lost Albums ?

I will listen to whatever he releases. It’s just a fact of the matter. That said, I just can’t imagine he is keep much of high quality in the vault. What he has deemed worthy or releasing lately from older songs (Western Stars, High Hopes) has not been great. If those are the best of what he’s hiding then I would be fine with it staying hidden. 
That said, this new stuff sounds promising so he’s always capable of surprising me.

4 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Bruce expresses his intention to release ‘lost albums’ in the near future....

Electric Nebraska ? 
Any other thoughts ? 

The 'RnB' album.

I looked into this a bit following the article and thought about posting a similar thread. From what I can tell, there is:

Electric Nebraska (if it exists)

The 1994 ‘hip hop’ album a la streets of Philadelphia 

An album recorded with the 1992/3 tour band

Some swing/country album (pre Tunnel of Love? I can’t remember)

An album written around the time of Wrecking Ball and Western Stars that Bruce says is ‘in the can’ as per the Rolling Stone article

Am I missing anything? I’m sure if there was some awesome E Street record in the vault we’d have heard about it by now?

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

I looked into this a bit following the article and thought about posting a similar thread. From what I can tell, there is:

An album written around the time of Wrecking Ball and Western Stars that Bruce says is ‘in the can’ as per the Rolling Stone article

Am I missing anything? I’m sure if there was some awesome E Street record in the vault we’d have heard about it by now?

I'll take em... release the lot Bruce. Open. The. Vault.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BobbyJames said:

I think also a band record pre -Rising but how many of those songs are left ? Well who knows (probably not even Bruce  unless he's  spent  all lockdown in his own fault ...which would put a silver linning on the nver ending cluster fuck that is 2020)

Now's  the time to empty that  fault if ever there was one - do it now Bruce 

Time is running away on each and every one of us 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Time is running away on each and every one of us

No no no we will all live well into our 90s , Bruce will release an album in 2035 called Live 21-31 just before he releases his 30th studio album called Wasn’t Covid 15 years ago Pants But We are Stronger now ! :)

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1
42 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

No no no we will all live well into our 90s , Bruce will release an album in 2035 called Live 21-31 just before he releases his 30th studio album called Wasn’t Covid 15 years ago Pants But We are Stronger now ! :)

Even Bruce  would get a,laugh at that :lol:

Well, Tracks was an incredible release back in the days (and it still is), but by no means it represented the sessions outtakes, album after album. Quite the opposite. The Darkness & The River boxset material, Devils & Dust and (to a lesser extent) The Seeger Sessions clearly show that back in '98 most of the true album outtakes were put aside and saved for future releases (despite Bruce's white lies about not liking X, not finding a complete recording of Y, or just having live takes of Z, etc). With the exception of what was later re-released on The Ties That Bind, what's on Tracks is basically what wasn't useful or worthy enough to be spared for a later project, be it some album boxset content, or a brand new album. That's why a lost-album-based Tracks II might really be special. It might finally show us what was kept so secret and truly valued by Bruce&Co for so many many years. More than a bunch of old and well-known outtakes from the '80, it might present us with an alternative side of Bruce's career.

• Like 4
21 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

The 1994 ‘hip hop’ album a la streets of Philadelphia; An album recorded with the 1992/3 tour band

The 1994 'hip hop', 'electronic' album and the album recorded with the 1992-1993 band are the same album. Some of the songs supposed to be on that album were released on other albums (Secret Garden, Nothing Man, maybe also Back In Your Arms).

The 'Western Swing' album was recorded in the 90s.

The sessions with country musicians in 1987 are still mysterious after all those years. Nothing is known what was recorded: if it werre only a few songs, or a complete album and/or Tunnel of Love songs (one of the country musicians played harmonica on Spare Parts; which was BTW a song rumoured originally already written in the early 80s).

There is also a country album recorded around 2010-2011 (as Bruce said himself in interviews around that time).

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Frank said:

Quite the opposite. The Darkness & The River boxset material, Devils & Dust and (to a lesser extent) The Seeger Sessions clearly show that back in '98 most of the true album outtakes were put aside and saved for future releases (despite Bruce's white lies about not liking X, not finding a complete recording of Y, or just having live takes of Z, etc). With the exception of what was later re-released on The Ties That Bind, what's on Tracks is basically what wasn't useful or worthy enough to be spared for a later project, be it some album boxset content, or a brand new album. 

That (the whole post, not only the quoted part) is very interesting; and maybe also one of the reasons Tracks was 'only' 4 discs and not 6 discs as originally intended.

In hindsight, it was a little bit strange in 1998 Darkness was so under-represented on Tracks comparted to the River and BUSA. Looks like the Darkness outtakes were indeed 'saved' for a future project. However, I would add that the songs chosen for inclusion on Tracks were the songs that were already mostly finished during the original sessions, while the songs on The Promise and The River box were the songs that needed more work (i.e. 2010 en 2015 vocals and overdubs).

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, Lampi said:

That (the whole post, not only the quoted part) is very interesting; and maybe also one of the reasons Tracks was 'only' 4 discs and not 6 discs as originally intended.

In hindsight, it was a little bit strange in 1998 Darkness was so under-represented on Tracks comparted to the River and BUSA. Looks like the Darkness outtakes were indeed 'saved' for a future project. However, I would add that the songs chosen for inclusion on Tracks were the songs that were already mostly finished during the original sessions, while the songs on The Promise and The River box were the songs that needed more work (i.e. 2010 en 2015 vocals and overdubs).

You're certainly right about The Promise and The Ties That Bind material having 21st century touch-ups, but the question is, were these additions absolutely necessary, or was Bruce's perfectionism at work (with time to kill and a professional home-studio at his disposal)? Also, if we exclude the b-sides (and the previously released This Hard Land), even the Born in the U.S.A sessions appear somewhat weak, if not underrepresented on Tracks. We'll probably discover the reason when a Born in the U.S.A boxset hits the market.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Frank said:

if we exclude the b-sides (and the previously released This Hard Land), even the Born in the U.S.A sessions appear somewhat weak, if not underrepresented on Tracks.   

Yes that is true, and a very good point. Especially when not counting Frankie as a 'real' BUSA outtake but a BUSA sessions recording of an older song. And one of the strongest BUSA outtakes, Murder Inc., already released on Greatest Hits.

Same for the Tunnel outtakes (again, not counting the two B-sides), but this really seems to be -almost- all there is (Lucky Man, Two For The Road, The Wish, When You Need Me, The Honeymooners). Maybe The Wish was not released earlier because it clearly did not fit on Tunnel and Bruce thought the song was too good to put it on a B-side, so it was saved for a future album.

• Like 2

In the poccast series "None But The Brave" they make references to this interview, and here Bruce should have confirmed Tracks 2, and it being a work in progress. The Rolling Stone Magazine reporter also listened to the new album a saw "The Film" that accompanies the album.....is that a film like the Western Stars film???

12 minutes ago, MichaelU1230 said:

In the poccast series "None But The Brave" they make references to this interview, and here Bruce should have confirmed Tracks 2, and it being a work in progress. The Rolling Stone Magazine reporter also listened to the new album a saw "The Film" that accompanies the album.....is that a film like the Western Stars film???

No more the Blood Brothers documentary 

• 2 weeks later...