Greasy Lake Community

my review of the album from the zoom listening party

overall - i like it, no real surprises here, it's an esb record in the vein of the river and bitusa. very little republican bashing which is good to see. i only herd it on zoom once but here are my notes

"One Minute You’re Here" – really quiet song to start the album bit like hitch hiker on western stars. spooky. gave me stolen car vibes

"Letter to You" – weve all heard it

"Burnin’ Train" – massive rocker it kocked me in the ass. chorus is him screaming "all aboard the burnin train"

"Janey Needs a Shooter" – its the 78/79 version. honestly sounds out of place. bruces voice sounded rough. not sure why its on album

"Last Man Standing" – bit acoustic. shimmering piano. soft/spooky bit.

"The Power of Prayer" – gospel-like, probably the least esb sunding of the album. one lyric i caught "im a god fearing american and im goddamn proud of it" preach it boss

"House of a Thousand Guitars" – not a rocker. plodding, mid-tempo. dont get the hype

"Rainmaker" – bit like devils and dust. doesnt mention trump by name but clearly about him.

"If I Was the Priest" – again, really out of place. i suppose its faithful to the original but bruce strains too much

"Ghosts" – weve all heard it

"Song for Orphans" – it was ok, again i refer the original

"I’ll See You in My Dreams" – another one that kocked me in the ass this one is like dream babby dream, it builds and builds and builds

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I try.

overall - i like it, no real surprises here, it's an esb record in the vein of the river and bitusa. very little republican bashing which is good to see. i only herd it on zoom once but here are my no

If you have been kocked in the ass, that may not have been a listening party....

Posted Images

For me it goes a bit different.

One Minute You’re Here , Next Minute You’re Gone - softly spoken opener that sets the tone for album , a meditation on loss. 

Letter To You- for me yes we’ve all heard, very solid rocker that is reflecting on 45 years of blood sweat and tears, remaining true to yourself and us the audience.

Burnin’Train - angry type rocker. Liked it a lot . Had a Lucky Town / Living Proof vibe.

Janey Needs A Shooter- pretty true to original. Definitely has a Darkness type feel from that period.

Last Man Standing - great story telling song. Loved it. Some nice sax from Jake.

The Power Of Prayer- title worried me , expected a morbid downer. Surprising more upbeat , boppy with some more sax from Jake.

House Of A Thousand Guitars - people were divided on this. Personally loved it. Another great story telling song however not the full on rocker I expected.

Rainmaker - great track . Rootsy rock. Had a This Hard Land feel. Loved it. 

If I Was The Priest - impressive 71 year old pulling off sounding like 23 year old Bruce.

Ghosts- absolutely love it. Instant classic for mine.

Song For Orphans - I enjoyed this the most of the 3 older songs. 

I’ll see You In My Dreams - beautiful closer. Feels like a good bye of sorts. Loved it.

Opener and closer bookended nicely.

Throughout the album it’s all about reflection, reminiscing , hope, faith, loss, blood, sweat and tears. 

Look forward to hearing it with pure sound. 

1 hour ago, the highway is alive said:

overall - i like it, no real surprises here, it's an esb record in the vein of the river and bitusa. very little republican bashing which is good to see. i only herd it on zoom once but here are my notes

"One Minute You’re Here" – really quiet song to start the album bit like hitch hiker on western stars. spooky. gave me stolen car vibes

"Burnin’ Train" – massive rocker it kocked me in the ass. chorus is him screaming "all aboard the burnin train"

"Janey Needs a Shooter" – its the 78/79 version. honestly sounds out of place. bruces voice sounded rough. not sure why its on album

"The Power of Prayer" – gospel-like, probably the least esb sunding of the album. one lyric i caught "im a god fearing american and im goddamn proud of it" preach it boss

"House of a Thousand Guitars" – not a rocker. plodding, mid-tempo. dont get the hype

"Rainmaker" – bit like devils and dust. doesnt mention trump by name but clearly about him.

"If I Was the Priest" – again, really out of place. i suppose its faithful to the original but bruce strains too much

"I’ll See You in My Dreams" – another one that kocked me in the ass this one is like dream babby dream, it builds and builds and builds

You were the plonker who was saying the album (or single) would be called House is on Fire, were you not?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, the highway is alive said:

“Kocked me in the ass” that’s some tune

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
6 hours ago, the highway is alive said:

If you have been kocked in the ass, that may not have been a listening party....

• Haha 4
4 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Is this the listening party that @Humphrey B Bear got to zoom  ?

Mr Bear is too much of a gentlemen to give much away 

Based on their comments I am sure THIAT has heard the album.  No factual errors in any of that as far as I can remember.  I agree with the comments on One minute, you're here, especially.

Sony have released the album to industry insiders and some journalists as a 48k stream.  One of those insiders played it to a handful of their friends over Zoom, which is how I experienced it.  I suspect the same applies to THIAT.  No idea if THIAT is one of my co-conspirators or these Zooms are happening all over the world.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
2 hours ago, Humphrey B Bear said:

Based on their comments I am sure THIAT has heard the album.  No factual errors in any of that as far as I can remember.  I agree with the comments on One minute, you're here, especially.

Sony have released the album to industry insiders and some journalists as a 48k stream.  One of those insiders played it to a handful of their friends over Zoom, which is how I experienced it.  I suspect the same applies to THIAT.  No idea if THIAT is one of my co-conspirators or these Zooms are happening all over the world.

Mrs Bear is a lucky woman :)

3 hours ago, Humphrey B Bear said:

So you’re saying that Power of Prayer actually has that lyric in it?

I’d be amazed.....

17 hours ago, the highway is alive said:

"

Why are you constantly trying to goad people into political discussion when it's clearly not allowed?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

So you’re saying that Power of Prayer actually has that lyric in it?

I’d be amazed.....

No, I'm not saying that.  The sound varied over Zoom from poor to appalling, and I don't rememember that lyric, but I can't say for sure.  Seems doubtful doesn't it?  Maybe THIAT is trolling

Just now, Humphrey B Bear said:

No, I'm not saying that.  The sound varied over Zoom from poor to appalling, and I don't rememember that lyric, but I can't say for sure.  Seems doubtful doesn't it?  Maybe THIAT is trolling

I think it does indeed!!

What was your take from what you heard? Any standout tracks?

Good album?

11 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I think it does indeed!!

What was your take from what you heard? Any standout tracks?

Good album?

I am excitied about it - I'm an E Street Band fan. I need to hear it more (and in good quality) before I'm going to rate it.  But on first listen, it sounds pretty good to me. It always takes me many listens before I process favourite songs etc., but Rainmaker, Burnin' Train and the opener caught my attention.

General consensus in the post listen discussion was that the old tracks were fantastic, but Priest was the one that stood out to me.  Not sure if it belongs on this record though, but, I'll wait and see.
You will start reading reviews after October 15 which is when the review embargo is over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
23 minutes ago, Humphrey B Bear said:

I am excitied about it - I'm an E Street Band fan. I need to hear it more (and in good quality) before I'm going to rate it.  But on first listen, it sounds pretty good to me. It always takes me many listens before I process favourite songs etc., but Rainmaker, Burnin' Train and the opener caught my attention.

General consensus in the post listen discussion was that the old tracks were fantastic, but Priest was the one that stood out to me.  Not sure if it belongs on this record though, but, I'll wait and see.
You will start reading reviews after October 15 which is when the review embargo is over.

Great info - thanks!