Greasy Lake Community

my review of the album from the zoom listening party

15 hours ago, Humphrey B Bear said:

Sorry if I was bragging.  I didn't mean to come across that way.  I had some info that I thought people would be interested in.  I will remove the posts I made.

Mr Bear - no

Your not a bragger 

I ment it went i said you were a gentleman, 

Surely here is the apprororate place to shear such a wonderful moment even with the media embargo (don't want to get your contact in trouble)

And for that matter why shouldn't  the OP  @the highway is alive have a bit of fun and give us a tease

Seems like he did hear the new record so why shouldn't  he also be entitled to tell us about his good fortune

What's the difference  between this and some other fans who have been to 100 plus shows 

I try really really hard to be happy for other people (even if im dying indide for just one 78 intro and my long kitty)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I try.

overall - i like it, no real surprises here, it's an esb record in the vein of the river and bitusa. very little republican bashing which is good to see. i only herd it on zoom once but here are my no

If you have been kocked in the ass, that may not have been a listening party....

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Mr Bear - no

Your not a bragger 

I ment it went i said you were a gentleman, 

Surely here is the apprororate place to shear such a wonderful moment even with the media embargo (don't want to get your contact in trouble)

And for that matter why shouldn't  the OP  @the highway is alive have a bit of fun and give us a tease

Seems like he did hear the new record so why shouldn't  he also be entitled to tell us about his good fortune

What's the difference  between this and some other fans who have been to 100 plus shows 

I try really really hard to be happy for other people (even if im dying indide for just one 78 intro and my long kitty)

THIAT didn’t hear the record. 

On 10/1/2020 at 2:08 PM, burgessliam22 said:

Some of what you're claiming goes against what was said in the Rolling Stone article, particularly about House of a Thousand Guitars

To be fair, the RS article simply described 1000 guitars as a sweeping anthem.  As soon as I heard that phrase, I assumed it meant a mid-tempo call to arms such as LOHAD rather than an outright banger like the Rising or Radio Nowhere...

• Like 1
On 10/1/2020 at 3:49 PM, Captain Chaos said:

What is a “real rocker” by the way?

I don’t think he’s done anything flat out “rock and roll” sounding since some of the stuff off Human Touch (Gloria’s Eyes, All Or Nothing At All).

Maybe Radio Nowhere. 

When I think of “rocking” Bruce I tend not to be too encouraged! I’m clearly getting old. 

Nah - Radio Nowhere, Rising, Further on up the Road, Worlds Apart, Lucky Day, electric Joad, Last to Die, Gypsy Biker to name just a few...

• Like 1
On 10/3/2020 at 2:37 AM, Captain Chaos said:

Worlds Apart and electric Joad are decent shouts. 

Lucky Day is a bit of a personal favourite for me too.  Plenty of nice riffs and great backing vox from Stevie.  He and Bruce channeling their inner Mick and Keef maybe given the overall Stonesy feel to the tune.  Should have been on Magic or an EP with the Wrestler and Jersey Devil.  Wasted on WOAD.

Not an outright rocker perhaps but as a southern rock fan, I do love American Beauty too, been playing that a lot lately.

• Like 1
On 10/1/2020 at 4:49 PM, Captain Chaos said:

I don’t think he’s done anything flat out “rock and roll” sounding since some of the stuff off Human Touch (Gloria’s Eyes, All Or Nothing At All). Maybe Radio Nowhere. 

On 10/3/2020 at 12:48 AM, Karembu said:

Nah - Radio Nowhere, Rising, Further on up the Road, Worlds Apart, Lucky Day, electric Joad, Last to Die, Gypsy Biker to name just a few...

Blood Brothers, electric version from the Blood Brothers EP. Long ago, but not as long ago as Human Touch (and Lucky Town: is Better Days not a rock and roll song? (and Lucky Town and Souls of the Departed?)).

As Electric Joad was mentioned, I'd throw in Electric Youngstown from the Reunion Tour too.

But all long ago indeed. Not counting Electric Joad, as the song Joad itself is a song from the mid-90s (originally it was even a rock song, re-written as an acoustic song for the Joad album), the last song which could classify as 'rock and roll' was My Lucky Day.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Blood Brothers, electric version from the Blood Brothers EP. Long ago, but not as long ago as Human Touch (and Lucky Town: is Better Days not a rock and roll song? (and Lucky Town and Souls of the Departed?).

As Electric Joad was mentioned, I'd throw in Electric Youngstown from the Reunion Tour too.

Love electric Blood Brothers.  Absolutely kills and one of Bruce’s best and most visceral vocals.

Lucky Town is a top quartile Bruce track for me.  The Plugged version is immense and the outro solo kills.

I went with electric Joad rather than electric Youngstown (which I also love) only because there is a studio version but could easily throw Magic-era Reason to Believe in there too by that note.

Leavin Train, 7 Angels and Trouble River were other great rockers from the HT sessions 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Blood Brothers, electric version from the Blood Brothers EP. Long ago, but not as long ago as Human Touch (and Lucky Town: is Better Days not a rock and roll song? (and Lucky Town and Souls of the Departed?)).

But all long ago indeed. Not counting Electric Joad, as the song Joad itself is a song from the mid-90s (originally it was even a rock song, re-written as an acoustic song for the Joad album), the last song which could classify as 'rock and roll' was My Lucky Day.

I have long been curious about the discarded rock version of Joad though. Unlikely to make Tracks 2 given the HH version but will always wonder what it would have sounded like...

16 minutes ago, Karembu said:

Leavin Train, 7 Angels and Trouble River were other great rockers from the HT sessions 

...and 30 Days Out, if that counts as a rock song.

I would not call any of them 'great' songs though. But that is not necessary; sometimes 'good and very enjoyable rock song' is more than enough.

The best (or greatest, if you like) 'rock' song from the HT sessions is the not-yet-mentioned Roll Of The Dice.

• Like 2

Good point.  I love all three and 30 Days Out too and though they will never have the gravitas of the Promise or the epic grandeur of BTR; as you say, it doesn’t make them any less enjoyable.  And all of those outtakes sound pretty damn good turned up nice and loud...

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Lampi said:

...and 30 Days Out, if that counts as a rock song.

I would not call any of them 'great' songs though. But that is not necessary; sometimes 'good and very enjoyable rock song' is more than enough.

The best (or greatest, if you like) 'rock' song from the HT sessions is the not-yet-mentioned Roll Of The Dice.

Roll... is a great track and the most classically E. St sounding track on either album for me.  Roy’s piano just elevates the whole thing.  

Even though I heard it live in 2016 and enjoyed the privilege, I have never found a live version that captures the snap, crackle and pop of the HT album version.  The 92/93 versions were too bloated as much as I loved Bobby King’s vocals.

4 hours ago, Karembu said:

I have long been curious about the discarded rock version of Joad though. Unlikely to make Tracks 2 given the HH version but will always wonder what it would have sounded like...

Devoid of any Morrelo influence i admit im curouse because while i do not like electrics Joad one little bit i do love electric Youngstown a hell of a lot

19 hours ago, Karembu said:

Roll... is a great track and the most classically E. St sounding track on either album for me.  Roy’s piano just elevates the whole thing.  

Even though I heard it live in 2016 and enjoyed the privilege, I have never found a live version that captures the snap, crackle and pop of the HT album version.  The 92/93 versions were too bloated as much as I loved Bobby King’s vocals.

Just listened to 'Roll of the Dice' for the first time in quite a while, I forgot how much it pops like a dozen Black Cats, over virtually every other song from its era. I haven't listened to either Human Touch or Lucky Town in a very long time, largely because they didn't do much for me. Still, I ought to revisit them.

• Like 1