Greasy Lake Community

The Promise - Band performance or Solo Bruce?

3 hours ago, stillilllife said:

Surprised to see that so many seem to enjoy the 18 Tracks version a lot. All I've heard about it before from people is that they feel it's an uninspired take of a great song.

That’s probably because the full band version has been out for ten years now, and it has lost most of its “holy Graal unreleased masterpiece” status. As it is often the case, people tend to desire the most what they cannot have, just to lose interest when the finally get it. The lukewarm reaction to the 18 Tracks version back in 1999 had much to do with that, IMHO. Fans wanted a proper take of the power ballad they had listened to for years/decades on crappy bootlegs, not a newer and different version of the song, regardless of its intrinsic quality. That’s human nature. Over the last ten years however, most fans have probably had the time to reevaluate the 1999 version in a fairer way.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Frank said:

That’s probably because the full band version is now “ten years old”, and it has lost most of its “holy Graal unreleased masterpiece” status. As it is often the case, people tend to desire the most what they cannot have, just to lose interest when the finally get it. The lukewarm reaction to the 18 Tracks version back in 1999 had much to do with that, IMHO. That’s human nature. Fans wanted a proper take of the very song they had heard on crappy bootlegs for decades, not a newer and different version of the song, regardless of its Intrinsic quality. Over the last ten years however, most fans have probably had the time to reevaluate the 1999 in a fairer way.

Your making me nervous for Electric Nebraska

What you say is true for me for both the promise and LOHAD me preferring my LINYC versions over newer studio album versions

3 hours ago, stillilllife said:

Surprised to see that so many seem to enjoy the 18 Tracks version a lot. All I've heard about it before from people is that they feel it's an uninspired take of a great song.

I wouldn't mind it if it had all the words 

49 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Your making me nervous for Electric Nebraska

I may be completely wrong, but I guess the mystique of Electric Nebraska lies in its name more than in anything else. It’s true that all Nebraska songs were recorded by the band, but I doubt that everything  morphed into a ‘Born in the USA’, or into an Atlantic City (live) E Street rocker. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if most of the so-called “electric” Nebraska actually sounded like ‘Wages of Sin’ or ‘A good man is hard to find’(with a couple of additional rockabilly numbers)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Frank said:

That’s probably because the full band version has been out for ten years now, and it has lost most of its “holy Graal unreleased masterpiece” status. As it is often the case, people tend to desire the most what they cannot have, just to lose interest when the finally get it. The lukewarm reaction to the 18 Tracks version back in 1999 had much to do with that, IMHO. Fans wanted a proper take of the power ballad they had listened to for years/decades on crappy bootlegs, not a newer and different version of the song, regardless of its intrinsic quality. That’s human nature. Over the last ten years however, most fans have probably had the time to reevaluate the 1999 version in a fairer way.

Yes. Much good sense here. But.....

I revisited the 18 Tracks version recently and discovered that I hate it as much now as I did in '98.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Frank said:

As it is often the case, people tend to desire the most what they cannot have, just to lose interest when the finally get it. 

The whole post (not only the quoted part) is a very good observation; the same could probably be said for the Greatest Hits version of This Hard Land.

And maybe also for the Human Touch versions of Soul Driver, 57 Channels and -especially- Real World. And, talking about Christic Institute, for the studio version of When The Lights Go Out on Tracks, which lacks most of the tension and menace of the Christic versions (which could be a reason it is on Tracks and not on Human Touch); but then, not for the studio version of The Wish.

• Like 1