Greasy Lake Community

The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

2 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Best song on the album in my opinion...just as well we don't all think the same.

That's what makes his albums so special, we all have our own personal favourites.

Absolutely, that's what's so magical about music. 

Despite all the rave reviews it's not gripped me like Magic did on first few listens

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ncsprngstn said:

Favorite track for me, by far on this album.   Appropriate emoji's added on my favorite lines.  Some of the best lyrics he's written in years...

"Burnin' Train"

Zero's my number, time is my hunter
I wanted you to heal me but instead you set me on fire
We were out over the borders, I washed you in holy water:P
We whispered our black prayers and rose up in flames

Take me on your burnin' train

White sun burnin', black wings beatin'
I ran my fingers 'cross the hollow of your stomach as you lay breathing:D
With our shared faith
Rising dark and decayed
Take me and shake me from this mortal cage:) (2020 feelings summed up in 9 words...)

Something's shining in the light 'neath your breast
The thick smell of you on my chest

On your bed of thorns, I brought you shining gifts
Wiped the sweat from your brow and I touched your lips
Sheets stained with sweat, outside the endless rain
Darlin', I'm blessed in your blood and marked by Cain:D (always love his Catholic imagery call-backs)

Have to say....I CANNOT STOP LISTENING TO THIS....

Just a straight forward rocker (which I've wanted from him and the band for some time now).  Just raw E Street power and I adore the Catholic imagery (washed you in holy water/marked by Cain).  Put on some headphones, crank this one and go for a run/walk.  You will thank me later.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ciaran said:

This probably has been mentioned already, but the final line ''I'll See You In My Dreams' is such a beautiful way to end the album. Dropping the band out just having Bruce and the piano; pure soul and raw emotion pouring through the speakers. A fitting end to an album which echoes these feelings throughout.

And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

Aye. I know all that, that's how I spotted the typo. My point was that he has no contribution in the film.

Ron as the producer makes a note / gives advice in the documentary (around the 34:30 mark) to Bruce during If I Was The Priest. Is that what you missed?

1207226690_Ronadvise.thumb.PNG.db1042b11f34648ef447c37dc3eff9cc.PNG

22 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

this new version of If I Was The Priest is just off the scale sublime. Ridiculously epic. 

Yes! All the old songs are fabulous, but this one is my very favourite. I didn't know what hit me the first time I listened to this version and I just can't get over how fantastic it is. Oh man...

Of the new songs, Rainmaker became an instant favourite. I really like it a lot! 

After a few listens, I think One Minute Your're Here (as someone said, this one could almost be from TGOTJ) and Burnin' Train are growing on me.

I'm kind of ambivalent about I'll See You in My Dreams. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the song, it makes me cry like a baby. I was an emotional wreck after hearing it for the first time.  

House of a Thousand Guitars and The Power of Prayer are my least favourite songs. Musically, HOATG just doesn't work for me at all and TPOP...I just don't get it. It reminds me of my least favourite songs on WOAD (I absolutely love the beautiful intro, though).

I'm not sure what I think of the album as a whole yet. 

• Like 1

After my fifth listen, I am still undecided about this album. I love the three old songs - really epic and intense- but not yet convinced by some of the new tunes just yet as it feels like I have heard it all before on previous albums but perhaps they will grow on me. Enjoy all!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

There have been a few discussions on here about I'm On Fire being a bit of a creepy song (I don't agree, but still ...). Well, y'all can forget about that one now. Janey NAS has got to be the creepiest song he's ever written, eh? And I love it. I can see a film being made with this as the soundtrack.

I don't really know what to make of it. 

I am, though, distracted by the priest verse because the picture that springs up in my mind is Andrew Scott in Fleabag :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jbWRtnebtA

First off, I really am loving “Letters to You” album. That said, last night I had the complete pleasure of seeing the Apple Documentary/film. Like Western Stars, just impeccably well done. I really like this sort of promotion, hearing Bruce talk about the songs Really brings a lovely dimension to the songs. Always been a fan of stripped down versions so watching him sit the band down and showing them the songs was great!   Cannot recommend any stronger to see this film!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, maccawings said:

First off, I really am loving “Letters to You” album. That said, last night I had the complete pleasure of seeing the Apple Documentary/film. Like Western Stars, just impeccably well done. I really like this sort of promotion, hearing Bruce talk about the songs Really brings a lovely dimension to the songs. Always been a fan of stripped down versions so watching him sit the band down and showing them the songs was great!   Cannot recommend any stronger to see this film!

I don't like the sort of promotion that forces people to sign up to a subscription service to view it.
Yes, I know a free trial is available but that's not the point. 
I also want to watch it on my TV which I could have done easily if they'd packaged this as a DVD with the album. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rizla said:

I also want to watch it on my TV which I could have done easily if they'd packaged this as a DVD with the album. 

That's how I watched it last night ... telly via the laptop.

Who knew I could do that? Certainly not me until Kate showed me.  New tricks during hibernation ... excellent!

1 hour ago, ifyouwalkaway said:

Sorry if covered already but anyone know the history of Rainmaker? 

A Magic outtake, it seems. About George Bush Junior; but like songs like Living In The Future, the song Magic and Long Walk Home, just as, or even more, a song for the current times.

• Like 1

After a few listens: I think the last time I was so exited about a new Bruce Springsteen album was The Rising; the album that brought me back into Bruce after some years as a sort of 'casual fan'.

Magic is the greatest Bruce Springsteen album post-TOL (closely followed by The Rising). But Magic took me some time and some really hard work to get into it; WOAD also.

• Bruuuuce! 1

8 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Aye. I know all that, that's how I spotted the typo. My point was that he has no contribution in the film.

Look ive tried to keep it a secret all these years but im here undercover

I never really had that dead end hardwear store job

I actually work for Bruce inc.

You'll see my name in the fine print if you know who to look for

I have the final sign off on all the printed material 

13 minutes ago, richevs said:

How do you do this, please? 

Well now, let's see. She got this free trial Apple thingy - she's got a posh phone, I don't. Then she went home to get a lead that goes from my laptop to the back of the tv. You press 'home' on the tv remote, move left until you have the arrow in the box and press home ... and then up to hmd1 (something like that) and press ... and hey presto!

That'll teach you for asking me a techy question.

:)

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Lampi said:

A Magic outtake, it seems. About George Bush Junior; but like songs like Living In The Future, the song Magic and Long Walk Home, just as, or even more, a song for the current times.

I keep seeing people saying this song and that song from LTY are outtakes from previous albums, but didn't Bruce say he wrote all the songs (bar 3) from the guitar given to him by the fan outside the Walter Kerr Theatre ? That was only two years ago. 

This album keeps growing on me. I love the treatment given the "old" songs. Priest is my personal favorite of the three. Burnin' Train and Ghosts are just fantastic.  I have my faves but there is not a weak tune in this bunch IMO.  The organ sounds amazing.  I'm gushing but haven't been so excited about a Bruce release in over a decade. 

This album does such a great job of capturing the power of the heart stopping, pants dropping, love making, earth quaking...E STREET BAND!

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

I've just watched the documentary twice (and it took some doing to get that second play for a novice like me!), and it is such a treat. Beautifully filmed and, my goodness, the E Street Band certainly do bring the Power when they play!

Long may they do so:-)

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1