Greasy Lake Community

The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I like the most about this album is that there is something for everyone on it. Depending on what era you prefer, what style of song you prefer, whether you like acoustic Bruce, rock Bruce, pop B

Received from a friend by WhatsApp 

Sometimes an album will come along and its release is coincidentally timed with an event, either personally or on a larger scale, of significant importance. And it becomes a musical time capsule of th

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Eileen said:

That's how I watched it last night ... telly via the laptop.

Who knew I could do that? Certainly not me until Kate showed me.  New tricks during hibernation ... excellent!

Vga, or hdmi?

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

A Magic outtake, it seems. About George Bush Junior; but like songs like Living In The Future, the song Magic and Long Walk Home, just as, or even more, a song for the current times.

Thanks; the thing that makes me doubt that it’s a Magic outtake is that Brendan O’Brien was the producer on that album and he hasn’t been given a credit in the LTY credits. Could’ve worked something out with him I guess.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MacBruce said:

I keep seeing people saying this song and that song from LTY are outtakes from previous albums, but didn't Bruce say he wrote all the songs (bar 3) from the guitar given to him by the fan outside the Walter Kerr Theatre ? That was only two years ago. 

He also said on Colbert in the week that the Super Bowl half time show was 2008. Rainmaker is definitely one from the archives. I suspect the next None But The Brave podcast will reveal when it’s from. 

• Like 1

Enjoying the general positivity about the new album . I’m still absorbing and letting it evolve in my ears ! 
a couple of silly comments though - that it’s better than BITUSA and a few unnecessary digs at the magnificent Western Stars  - it’s only been out 36 hrs ffs !!!!:D

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Eileen said:

That's how I watched it last night ... telly via the laptop.

Who knew I could do that? Certainly not me until Kate showed me.  New tricks during hibernation ... excellent!

I did that for years when we'd watch something on Netflix.  Plug in the USB cable from laptop to tv, switch the input and voila :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, richevs said:

How do you do this, please? 

Use an HDMI USB cable to plug into your computer/laptop and the other end into your tv, HDMI 1 or 2 slot.  You change the input from your remote on your tv to HDMI 1 or 2, which ever HDMI slot you plugged into on the tv.  You first have to register on iTunes to watch it https://appleid.apple.com/account and you select LTY from the iTunes screen on your computer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Enjoying the general positivity about the new album . I’m still absorbing and letting it evolve in my ears ! 
a couple of silly comments though - that it’s better than BITUSA and a few unnecessary digs at the magnificent Western Stars  - it’s only been out 36 hrs ffs !!!!:D

Two of Bruce’s best songs released of the last 20 years for me are Western Stars and If I Was The Priest. Many other greats on these last two albums, but those two tracks are on a whole different level as far as I’m concerned. 

• Like 5

The album is beautiful with the exception of Rainmaker. I wish he had included an updated version of Homestead instead. It makes a similar political statement with better lyrics, story telling, and melody. I doubt I will ever listen to Rainmaker again after today. But overall, it is a great release. The opener is beautiful. I love the 3 songs from 73 as well as track 5, 6, and 7. 

3 hours ago, Jono2u said:

Went for a walk today to listen to the album for the first time all the way through. By the time I arrived back home I had listened to it 3 times! 
The kids a star ️ 

Genius 

Yeah I think the kid might have a big future..as long as it doesn't go to his head

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, rockaway88 said:

The album is beautiful with the exception of Rainmaker. 

I though that at first too....but it grew on me like Covid-19 on coke and steroids. It's top half of the LP now for me.

• Like 1

Really really like this album.  First listened to it yesterday in the car.  I was eagerly anticipating hearing what he had done with If I Was The Priest cause that's been a favorite of mine for a long time.  The first 30 seconds I was kinda bummed with the pace, but then it kicked in and boy do I love it.  Hit repeat 4 times before moving on to the rest of the album.  The only negative thing I could say about the album is that I don't hear Nils at all.  But then that's hardly surprising since he's been underutilized since day one in the band.  And it is after all a Bruce Springsteen effort, so a very minor thing.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

If he ever tours this album, the merchandise stands absolutely have to stock souvenir snow domes.   It's a no-brainer!

That's what i thoight when i saw the xmas bauble on the website

• Like 1

Just back from a walk with Bruce in the hot sun, still a bit wobbly on the old vertigo

I think i like a spring release over an Autumn one 

Really really love the album

I now think the opening track is a great opener 

Really enjoying those old tracks

They just make me smilie im rnjoying them so much

How wonderful to be 71 with an entire career behind him and be able to make those historic songs work in 2020 

That says something for 20 year old him 

• Like 1

After a number of listens now, I'm really enjoying this album! I'm totally loving If I Was the Priest; it's my favorite, followed by Ghosts and Janey. So far, the only songs I'm not feeling are Burnin' Train and Rainmaker, but they are starting to grow on me a little.

I agree that the opener sounds like something off Joad- not a bad thing. Song for Orphans reminds me of the Wallflowers, also not a bad thing. 

I loved the documentary as well. The scene near the end where Bruce is toasting the band had me in tears. :( I miss these guys so much!

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
11 hours ago, Rizla said:

I don't like the sort of promotion that forces people to sign up to a subscription service to view it.
Yes, I know a free trial is available but that's not the point. 
I also want to watch it on my TV which I could have done easily if they'd packaged this as a DVD with the album. 

I didn't subscribe to a thing.

3 hours ago, Ciaran said:

Sometimes an album will come along and its release is coincidentally timed with an event, either personally or on a larger scale, of significant importance. And it becomes a musical time capsule of that time and event, and what you were feeling then. Letter to You is one of these albums.

This year is arguably the most dramatic, traumatic and significant years of our time. A global pandemic, a death toll of 1.15 million so far, turmoil in America for a multitude of reasons, a majorly important election looming, Brexit... the list goes on. Then in the midst of all these things we are gifted with 58 minutes of escapism. Bruce Springsteen. The E Street Band. An album. A film.

When these songs were recorded Bruce could not have imagined the world in which they would be coming into. The melodies and words will forever hold memories of this moment in time, and in the years to come they will take us back to this weird time in our lives. Listening to the album on repeat since Wednesday (when I was lucky enough to end up with the vinyl in my hands two days early) I find I have been through somewhat of a roller coaster of emotions. At times I was looking back to both recent memory, and further back in time, as is natural to do with some of the subject matter here. And at times I was firmly in the now thinking of all that is happening and that has suddenly changed around the world, and in my little world. Some parts of this album hit me like tonne of bricks and made me want to cry, other parts filled me with euphoria and joy. I also found myself looking to the future, and I remember that what is going on currently is only temporary, a short blip in our lives. I imagined someday being in a room (or a field), filled with like minded people while Bruce and the band take to the stage. It gave me hope. The power of prayer in 180 seconds. The power of Bruce.

I feel right now is a defining moment in all of our lives, and we are lucky to have this album. As the years go on hearing these songs will bring us right back to this time. Then we can look back, and it will all seem funny. But for now it's 58 minutes of escapism. The power of Bruce.

Thanks, I really like your post! Nicely written and that’s how I feel as well.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Flagofpiracy said:

Use an HDMI USB cable to plug into your computer/laptop and the other end into your tv, HDMI 1 or 2 slot.  You change the input from your remote on your tv to HDMI 1 or 2, which ever HDMI slot you plugged into on the tv.  You first have to register on iTunes to watch it https://appleid.apple.com/account and you select LTY from the iTunes screen on your computer.

Thanks very much for this. 

• Like 1