Greasy Lake Community

The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

3 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Ooh! I thought it was just a stain on my one :lol: I'll have to look at it from a different angle today!

:)

Apparently it's a limited thing, just the initial pressings.  Same with the special inner sleeves.

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Whats on the inner sleeve?

From Bruce's FB page.

"

15 hrs  ·   · All first edition #LetterToYou vinyl features special vellum pages and sleeves plus a photo etching on Side D. "

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

From Bruce's FB page.

"

15 hrs  ·   · All first edition #LetterToYou vinyl features special vellum pages and sleeves plus a photo etching on Side D. "

Whats a vellum page ? :D

8 minutes ago, Frank said:

For those interested in vinyl, ect.

Nice one.  Tnx

A minor point, but my copy had the records in plain white sleeves in addition to the vellum sleeves.

Oh, and I think he handles the records and inners way too roughly.  :lol:

• Like 1

oddly i prefer the doc to the album, the doc feels like watching Bruce in concert and gives so much more feeling to the songs. normally the docs get buried not this one do hope it comes out on dvd.  downloaded it to ipad not sure if it has a time limit on it

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Eileen said:

What does he do with the throwaway plastic and sticker ... did I miss that bit?

I was initially worried he was just going to throw away the sticker 

I usually just restick mine to the cover

• Like 1

Love the album as a whole, but for me the first four songs are great, then there's a lull with Last Man Standing (melodically similar to Last To Die), The Power of Prayer and House of a Thousand Guitars.  I really like Rainmaker, which surprised me after reading some other reactions to it,  in fact if it is left over from Magic, I prefer it to a lot of songs that made the cut. The chorus reuses the melody Mary, Mary. The remaining four songs are all brilliant.

All in all the album exceeded my expectations which weren't that high based on Letter To You. Then again I liked Wrecking Ball, High Hopes and Western Stars. I did not like Magic, Working on a Dream, and only a few from The Rising. Letter To You seems a pretty straight forward rock album to my ears, and there's nothing wrong with that.

7 hours ago, Ciaran said:

I feel right now is a defining moment in all of our lives, and we are lucky to have this album. As the years go on hearing these songs will bring us right back to this time. Then we can look back, and it will all seem funny. But for now it's 58 minutes of escapism. The power of Bruce.

Hmm interesting to read your reflections . I would say that politics are eventful all of the time, there is always a drama , I wouldn’t say these political times are more tumultuous than others . The pandemic was bizarre especially during the national lockdowns , not sure the impact on our lives or how significant it will be in the long run yet as we wait to see the real truth of this pandemic which is yet to be revealed ( a new world order and screwed economies and job losses most likely ?)and realising how our modern lives are so money orientated and often selfish and the west was so ill equipped with their over population and liberalism. Yes we will look back on these times  and maybe Bruce will be part of our soundtrack but that applies in all times to different people in different ways . Is this culture or era defining Bruce which already many seem to think , I’m a little cautious with these statements . The world is now driven into saying this or that is the best ever / worst ever etc We live in a world where extremes have to be used to make a point and this thread is no exception, I blame social media !  

Anyway Covid is not the real world emergency people say it is, that is climate change - and if we don’t act quickly on that we are all screwed ! 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Hmm interesting to read your reflections . I would say that politics are eventful all of the time, there is always a drama , I wouldn’t say these political times are more tumultuous than others . The pandemic was bizarre especially during the national lockdowns , not sure the impact on our lives or how significant it will be in the long run yet as we wait to see the real truth of this pandemic which is yet to be revealed ( a new world order and screwed economies and job losses most likely ?)and realising how our modern lives are so money orientated and often selfish and the west was so ill equipped with their over population and liberalism. Yes we will look back on these times  and maybe Bruce will be part of our soundtrack but that applies in all times to different people in different ways . Is this culture or era defining Bruce which already many seem to think , I’m a little cautious with these statements . The world is now driven into saying this or that is the best ever / worst ever etc We live in a world where extremes have to be used to make a point and this thread is no exception, I blame social media !  

Anyway Covid is not the real world emergency people say it is, that is climate change - and if we don’t act quickly on that we are all screwed ! 

All valid points @Thunder Roadie! I wouldn't expect everybody to feel the same of course, as you said '... that applies in all times to different people in different ways'. And I too would be cautious making grandiose statements; is this his best, his worst? That's down to personal taste, and probably too soon to really say where it fits quality wise in the scope of all his work. But am I, personally, getting something more from this than other recent albums? Definitely. I think that's a wonderful thing, how albums or songs can just strike a chord at just the right moment. Personally this year has turned my whole life upside down, Covid has resulted in my business collapsing and I've had no work since March, I've felt very lost these last seven months, and I still don't know what I'm going to do next even now; this is exactly like you said, probably quite selfish in that way, I'm lucky to have my health. When WOAD was released I can't remember specifically what was going on in my life at the time of release, Wrecking Ball I have no idea, High Hopes the very same. But this release feels important to me right now, and for that I am thankful.

• Like 2
  • Hug 1

Another musing on listening to the album, they absolutely nailed the drum sound! Max sounds so good, you can hear everything he is playing very clearly. In fact the overall sound captures the band so well, it's not overproduced in anyway

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1