Greasy Lake Community

The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I like the most about this album is that there is something for everyone on it. Depending on what era you prefer, what style of song you prefer, whether you like acoustic Bruce, rock Bruce, pop B

Received from a friend by WhatsApp 

The wife was out with friends last night, so as I was cooking and eating dinner. Listened to the album, after dinner Moma still wasn't home so I watched the movie again. I can honestly say I have neve

Posted Images

I was never a fan of If I Was The Priest. And in general not of most pre-Greetings songs; the songs known from various semi-legal releases in the 90s, and before that from bootlegs. Wordy songs with the heavy influence of Dylan all over it; some are just bad Dylan imitations. Also, it seems most, if not all, of those songs never quite left the demo stage.

A notable exception is Song For Orphans, which I have loved since I first heard the very beautiful  live version from 1972 on the All Those Years bootleg; which was, indeed, all those years ago (in 1988).

Anyway. The new version of If I Was The Priest is a revelation, a very pleasant surprise.

• Like 6

I just listened to the album and I’ll have to say I think this is his best since Magic. It certainly has an “E Street” sound to it. My favorites after a first listen are three songs in the middle, Last Man Standing, The Power of Prayer, and House of a Thousand Guitars. Bruce’s voice sounds great and the mixing is excellent.

The only track I don’t like is Rainmaker, which I found to be a plodder. The album gives justice to Janey, Orphans, and Priest. I’m looking forward to hearing these songs live which will be in 2022 at the earliest I assume.

I haven’t watched the documentary yet because I don’t have Apple TV. I guess I’ll have to subscribe...

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, Declansk said:

I just listened to the album and I’ll have to say I think this is his best since Magic. It certainly has an “E Street” sound to it. My favorites after a first listen are three songs in the middle, Last Man Standing, The Power of Prayer, and House of a Thousand Guitars. Bruce’s voice sounds great and the mixing is excellent.

The only track I don’t like is Rainmaker, which I found to be a plodder. The album gives justice to Janey, Orphans, and Priest. I’m looking forward to hearing these songs live which will be in 2022 at the earliest I assume.

I haven’t watched the documentary yet because I don’t have Apple TV. I guess I’ll have to subscribe...

Same favourites and the same negative one. 

• Like 1

My second listen to the cd, and I like it except I think the lyrics to 'Janey Needs a Shooter' should've stayed in the 1970s.

I'd never heard it before so I have no prior attachment or alternative to lean on, so for me the lyrics are an unwelcome throwback to outmoded attitudes to women, and that opening verse gives me the creeps, frankly.

So I made up a different verse and chorus, imagining a happier outcome for put-upon Janey:

Now Janey's found her spine, Janey won't whine and suffer men to fix her,
She'll throw their rigged cards out and their bent dice about,
she'll deal out butt-kicks, mister!
She'll turn away from controllers and fake holy-rollers, all those Me-first guys,
She'll keep to herself, she's not a doll on a shelf who needs to be a prize.

Janey needs to shoo them off
And maintain her own pride
And not be taken for a ride,
C'mon Janey, turn the tide.

10 hours ago, Royston Vasey said:

What a great record it undoubtedly is......and when the tour hopefully one day happens, can there be a more rousing way to kick off the evening than with Burning Train. Incredible !

I completely get that. The band first take up their positions on the stage and start up that intense intro for 2 -3 minutes, getting louder and louder, then Bruce finally walks on stage up to the mic and......zero’s my number, time is my hunter....

I’m imagining it now. And it’s exciting. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, JoleBlonAlba said:

My second listen to the cd, and I like it except I think the lyrics to 'Janey Needs a Shooter' should've stayed in the 1970s.

I'd never heard it before so I have no prior attachment or alternative to lean on, so for me the lyrics are an unwelcome throwback to outmoded attitudes to women, and that opening verse gives me the creeps, frankly.

So I made up a different verse and chorus, imagining a happier outcome for put-upon Janey:

Now Janey's found her spine, Janey won't whine and suffer men to fix her,
She'll throw their rigged cards out and their bent dice about,
she'll deal out butt-kicks, mister!
She'll turn away from controllers and fake holy-rollers, all those Me-first guys,
She'll keep to herself, she's not a doll on a shelf who needs to be a prize.

And maintain her own pride
And not be taken for a ride,
C'mon Janey, turn the tide.

Same here, never heard it before and find it very disturbing.  For me, the narrator comes across as an obsessive stalker and he's the only one she needs to stay clear of.   Thankfully it sounds as though the cop is on to him.
Shame about the hot priest though :P

• Like 1

Loving the new album - classic E Street sound. Powerful too. Also watched the film 3 times now - it's simply a wonderful and thought provoking watch on life and death. 

Song for Orphans is one of the best tracks I've heard for a long time, love the Dylan influence. SVZ licks on this track could have been lifted off Blonde on Blonde. And I love the smile that Bruce and Steve share during the recording of this song. 

Of the newer tracks, think my favourite is Burnin Train. Can't wait to hear that one live. 

• Like 1

Watching the documentary again, the internet simply cut out just after Bruce sang the last line, unaccompanied, "I'll see you in my dreams" - I think my heart stopped when the film completely froze at the end of that, freezing the image of Bruce like a last photo! Goosebumps galore!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, JoleBlonAlba said:

Watching the documentary again, the internet simply cut out just after Bruce sang the last line, unaccompanied, "I'll see you in my dreams" - I think my heart stopped when the film completely froze at the end of that, freezing the image of Bruce like a last photo! Goosebumps galore!

Its ok

He's safe on his farm with Patti and  working on his next project

14 hours ago, Royston Vasey said:

What a great record it undoubtedly is......and when the tour hopefully one day happens, can there be a more rousing way to kick off the evening than with Burning Train. Incredible !

Maybe. But I think Ghosts would be a better opener . I find Burnin Train an incredible song , but the chorus is just frustratingly not up to the rest of the song its just a little of a letdown. This may change over time as I give it more listens!