Greasy Lake Community

The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I like the most about this album is that there is something for everyone on it. Depending on what era you prefer, what style of song you prefer, whether you like acoustic Bruce, rock Bruce, pop B

Received from a friend by WhatsApp 

Sometimes an album will come along and its release is coincidentally timed with an event, either personally or on a larger scale, of significant importance. And it becomes a musical time capsule of th

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Perisic said:

Just can't get into Rainmaker. Starts out very promising but the chorus doesn't do it for me.

Man, I love that Rainmaker chorus, so bad so bad so bad!

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

He’s never sounded more Dylan than Song for Orphans .... love it ! 

I hear some Warren Zevon in this one.  Or maybe just the Bob Dylan influence on Warren’s song writing?

54 minutes ago, maccawings said:

I never subscribed or “signed up” for anything.

I don't care how you got it.  Some people will have had free access from owning a new Apple device, and I expect some will have illegally downloaded it.  My point was that a lot of people will have had to sign up to Apple TV to get access. 

• Like 1
On 10/23/2020 at 8:54 PM, G-Man said:

Rainmaker is brilliant.  My favorite song on an album of highlights.

I'm glad to hear people saying this, because I already feel like I can sing along with this one. Feels like the right song at the right time--delivered with enough empathy and insight to make it feel vital. And while I love it, I pray it turns out not to be part of the setlist if the band returns to the stage, because it no longer feels so relevant.

But holy cow, what an album. Maybe the best start-to-finish album since BitUSA. In my opinion, it's odd that so few of the reunion-era albums have the rhythm of a live show, considering that building a narrative through songs is maybe the most important part of his live performances. This one really feels like a mini-show, with all the emotional ups and downs. Heck, it even includes my bathroom break in the middle (Power of Prayer, no offense). It's amazing to have an album about aging and loss that is so shot through with youthful energy.

Please, please let us hear these songs live in 2021.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, BadcatCupboards said:

Please, please let us hear these songs live in 2021.

I reckon 2022 if covid vaccines go to plan and enough people are protected. But I feel sure that an E Street tour will be the next live project for them all, and the hunger for live music from each and every band member, as well as the fans there in the arena or stadium, will make every show a ‘new world’ life affirming experience, for us all to behold. 

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 2

I've still only been able (had the time) to listen to the album once all the way through when it arrived on the 23rd. Hard to believe! I like to be alone with a new album so I can read the songwords, admire the artwork etc ^_^ But today is a great day! Mr jmw, who's had a week off, has a dental appointment. Not that I'm hoping he'll be in the chair a long time or anything. I think 58 minutes is about right? :lol:

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

I've still only been able (had the time) to listen to the album once all the way through when it arrived on the 23rd. Hard to believe! I like to be alone with a new album so I can read the songwords, admire the artwork etc ^_^ But today is a great day! Mr jmw, who's had a week off, has a dental appointment. Not that I'm hoping he'll be in the chair a long time or anything. I think 58 minutes is about right? :lol:

What time's his appointment? Two Thirty?

• Haha 3
24 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

In our house we have already had turn that #*#*#*#* down argument :(

• Bruuuuce! 1
9 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

The guitar melody in Last man standing sounds so much like another song, but I can't remember which one...The same thing goes for the verse melody in House of a thousand guitars.

Power Of Prayer.  I can't hear much difference between that and LMS.

• Like 1

The best combination has to be Priest into Ghosts. The songs compliment eachother so well and flow just right. The same lyrics of buckskin jacket boots and spurs in both tracks, yet the two songs being written a half century apart, is confirmation of how these songs knit so perfectly as an album. 

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1
5 hours ago, stillilllife said:

The guitar melody in Last man standing sounds so much like another song, but I can't remember which one...The same thing goes for the verse melody in House of a thousand guitars.

terrible when you cant think aint it but If I was the Priest has a bit  sounding like from the Beatles I got a Feeling

• Like 1

So it seems the album and film were recorded last November, just a few short weeks after I met Bruce on October 11th. No wonder he was so keen to announce that next up for him was E Street, at the Western Stars film premiere. Zimny and Bruce clearly knew when they talked on stage in the Q&A what was very soon about to be recorded. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Whoever it was on this thread who commented on how great they got Max’s drum sound on this record is spot on. They sound phenomenal. 

Not the first time Aniello has perfected this: Max’s drums on Wrecking Ball (the song) and LOHAD sound immense, too. As much as I love WB (the album), it would have been incredible as a fully-blown ESB decors. 

12 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

In our house we have already had turn that #*#*#*#* down argument :(

I have not heard any complaints from my upstairs neighbors yet, so I think they are enjoying the new album too!:)

God bless I don't have downstairs neighbors.:D

• Haha 1
On 10/25/2020 at 6:39 PM, stevie54uk said:

oddly i prefer the doc to the album, the doc feels like watching Bruce in concert and gives so much more feeling to the songs. normally the docs get buried not this one do hope it comes out on dvd.  downloaded it to ipad not sure if it has a time limit on it

Haven't seen the doc yet.   Certainly with Western Stars I preferred the film... but part of that was that the performances of the songs were different (and in my view better)

• Like 1