Greasy Lake Community

The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

I'm listening to the album for the third time.  I'm up to If I Was The Priest.  I just love his voice on this.  And the drum roll before the band kicks in before the last chorus :wub:.  I like the '72 piano version and I LOVE Allan Clarke's one but this tops the lot.

One Minute You're Here ... for his mum?

I like when he starts an album with a 'different' song like Ain't Got You, Hitch Hikin', One Minute.  They set the scene for the story ahead.  Blimey, I'm getting all poetic!

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I'm finding the album disappointing. 

The opening and closing songs are both heartbreakingly lovely, and I loved "Letter To You" straight away. 
I love "Burning Train" as well.

But then .... oh dear. 
I hate the Janey song and I've already said enough about that.
"Last Man Standing" and "Power Of Prayer" sound the same to me.  Some nice lyrics but the songs don't stand out. 
Same goes for "House Of A Thousand Guitars" which could have been much better.

"Rainmaker" is a pretty good song that's growing on me.
"Ghosts" - the music is great but the lyrics don't seem to be very well thought out.  Are the ghosts/spirits with Bruce or is he on his own? Which is it?  And what's all that about coming home?  That seems to have strayed in from a different song.

I'm not a fan of early Bruce songs and find the wannabe Dylanesque word salad lyrics embarrassing - unless they have meaning.  "Song For Orphans" is sailing close to the wind, it's so derivative.  I like "If I Was The Priest" better, but I would like it more if Bruce could explain all the references, and what it means.   It needs to mean something, otherwise it's just a load of pretentious nonsense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rizla said:

The opening and closing songs are both heartbreakingly lovely, and I loved the song "Letter To You" straight away. 

But then .... oh dear. 
"Last Man Standing" and "Power Of Prayer" sound the same to me.  Some nice lyrics but the songs don't stand out. 

"Ghosts" - the music is great but the lyrics don't seem to be very well thought out.  Are the ghosts/spirits with Bruce or is he on his own? Which is it?  And what's all that about coming home?  That seems to have strayed in from a different song.

I'm not a fan of early Bruce songs and find the wannabe Dylanesque word salad lyrics embarrassing.  "Song For Orphans" is sailing close to the wind, it's so derivative.  I like "If I Was The Priest" better, but I would like it more if Bruce could explain all the references to me, and what it means.   It needs to mean something, otherwise it's just a load of pretentious nonsense.

I love wordy Bruce, even if it's a load of tosh :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Gotta hope the film gets a blu ray release like Western Stars did. I guess it depends how long Apple TV have it for. 

Well we're still waiting for SOB as its still on Netflex 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Gotta hope the film gets a blu ray release like Western Stars did. I guess it depends how long Apple TV have it for. 

I really, really, really hope so. We should be allowed the opportunity to document this period for ourselves.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2020 at 6:04 PM, Rizla said:

I don't like the sort of promotion that forces people to sign up to a subscription service to view it.
Yes, I know a free trial is available but that's not the point. 
I also want to watch it on my TV which I could have done easily if they'd packaged this as a DVD with the album. 

I agree with you on this.  Certainly in the UK this makes it seem less accessible.

Happily we have got a free trial and thought the film was beautiful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JaneyJaney said:

I agree with you on this.  Certainly in the UK this makes it seem less accessible.

Happily we have got a free trial and thought the film was beautiful.

It was. If I haven't cancelled to free trial, I will be watching it a few more times.

16 minutes ago, jmw said:

It was. If I haven't cancelled to free trial, I will be watching it a few more times.

Hopefully you will be able to watch until the end of the week.  We just had to persuade son to access the free trial via his account and are on a hiding to nothing if we don't cancel by the weekend!

As above for me the film is absolutely beautiful and the music sounds even better than on the album I think.  It just seems to have that concert feel to it.  Love Patti's vocals which you don't hear so much and think Max's drumming is such a powerhouse. It was great to see how he takes his cues from Bruce and how all the band

Loved the album instantly which was not the case for WS.  Bruce has captured how we all might feel as we get older.  So still writing his letter to us. 

Song For Orphans is favourite - just majestic.  We'll have to take his word for what the lyrics are actually about!

Not at all keen on the lyrics for Janey.  Whatever sort of abuse is going on for this girl - who is my namesake - is not really handled as well as other songs and would not be comfortable to sing along with.   I agree with others that part of that is the legacy of it being written right at the early part of his career.  Interesting that JNAS and Rainmaker are the only ones not to appear in the film. (unless i missed them) 

ISYIMD is a great end to the album. I can imagine that he could end a concert with this and the "I'll see you in my dreams" replacing the usual "we'll see you next time".  Or is that just too sad to contemplate? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

It’s still below WS for me . There is not a bad track on that album . This one has one or two ‘skippers’ already ! <_<

For me it’s the other way around. There are only 2 or 3 songs I like from Western Stars. I can’t listen to this album. It don’t work for me even with the movie I saw in the cinema. Here in the Netherlands you can’t find the dvd in the stores. And online I can only buy an import version for double the price as normal (almost 40 euro instead of the normal 18 euro). Way to much for me.

i really hope we get a proper release of the Letter to you documentary which I really appreciate. 
Although I miss the more relevant themes on this records which there were on The Rising, Wrecking Ball and even Magic I really enjoy this ESB album very much. 

• Like 2

A little disappointed there was no download code with the vinyl. I guess the site never said it came with one but it's usually a given for new vinyl releases. I always like to have a digital copy along with a physical (but without having to pay twice).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PaleGreenEyes said:

A little disappointed there was no download code with the vinyl. I guess the site never said it came with one but it's usually a given for new vinyl releases. I always like to have a digital copy along with a physical (but without having to pay twice).

Last time i brought vinyl with a down load code it didnt work and no one returned by email 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, jmw said:

Those who cancel free trial did you get confirmation of this?  really not sure I have cancelled trial.

Just looked online and it is saying to cancel on TV, I did try this and nothing happened, I cancelled or thought I cancelled visa the original email I received. 

5 hours ago, jmw said:

Those who cancel free trial did you get confirmation of this?  really not sure I have cancelled trial.

I didn't get an email, but my Status confirms that my subscription will end tomorrow.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rizla said:

The opening and closing songs are both heartbreakingly lovely, and I loved "Letter To You" straight away. 

But then .... oh dear. 

I'm not a fan of early Bruce songs and find the wannabe Dylanesque word salad lyrics embarrassing - unless they have meaning.  "Song For Orphans" is sailing close to the wind, it's so derivative.  I like "If I Was The Priest" better, but I would like it more if Bruce could explain all the references, and what it means.   It needs to mean something, otherwise it's just a load of pretentious nonsense.

Now, this I find funny. When I criticized Western Stars you scolded me for using terms like “embarrassing” and “crap”. Now that he has put out an album you don’t like, you are using terms like “embarrassing”, “pretentious”, and “nonsense”. It’s a bit hypocritical, isn’t it?

• Bruuuuce! 1