Greasy Lake Community

The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

The Western Stars/LTY contrast and comparisons are really interesting.

I’m in the camp that has Western Stars at perfection level and LTY pretty close to it.

Western Stars creates a whole new world which you can live in with its detail, stories and characters.

LTY is a romp from start to finish. A bit of a time machine where you get dragged back and forward with a huge sound propelling it.

I’m still amazed he’s produced these two back to back at this point of his career.

• Like 6
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I like the most about this album is that there is something for everyone on it. Depending on what era you prefer, what style of song you prefer, whether you like acoustic Bruce, rock Bruce, pop B

Received from a friend by WhatsApp 

The wife was out with friends last night, so as I was cooking and eating dinner. Listened to the album, after dinner Moma still wasn't home so I watched the movie again. I can honestly say I have neve

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

Now, this I find funny. When I criticized Western Stars you scolded me for using terms like “embarrassing” and “crap”. Now that he has put out an album you don’t like, you are using terms like “embarrassing”, “pretentious”, and “nonsense”. It’s a bit hypocritical, isn’t it?

No, it is not.
First, I don't believe I "scolded" you for using the word 'embarrassing' (if you did).  

Secondly, context is all.  It's fine to criticise a song if you explain what it is that you don't like about it.  That's very far from dismissing a whole album wholesale, and using playground terminology like "crap" and "it stinks".  And doing so repeatedly.

I thought I had made it clear that my criticism of the wordier songs hangs on whether or not they have meaning.  
I don't think you have properly read or understood my last paragraph.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

I’m still amazed he’s produced these two back to back at this point of his career.

Agreed, but the songs for Western Stars are likely a decade old - probably written at the tailend of that insane creative run he had from 2002 - 2012.

Beyond the 70s songs (and Rainmaker?), LTY is very much 2019/2020 Bruce - post-book, post-Broadway, post-huge writer's block. 

I think there's a huge difference in quality. Western Stars is a masterpiece which he slaved over for years. Letter To You is an ok album that he banged out in a week. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

@Rizla, aren't we moving the goal post a bit? So as long as we explain how terrible WS is, it's OK? 

BTW: I thought you had him on ignore? ;)

The goal posts are swaying all over the place. Not that it matters to me. I’m fine with everybody’s opinion. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of it. Which was then defended in a hypocritical way. Context.

4 minutes ago, the highway is alive said:

I think there's a huge difference in quality. Western Stars is a masterpiece which he slaved over for years. Letter To You is an ok album that he banged out in a week. 

Well I think it matters what you enjoy more, Country/Americana or Rock n Roll! 

Masterpiece? Compared to what? Compared to other Americana artist/albums? Surely not other other Bruce albums! Wait, you could call it a masterpiece against D&D! ;)

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Masterpiece? Compared to what? Compared to other Americana artist/albums? Surely not other other Bruce albums! Wait, you could call it a masterpiece against D&D! ;)

I don’t mind country music and I really like some Americana (Wilco type stuff). I don’t consider that album to fit in there. I’d rate it as a below average ABBA album though.

OK, enough of that album. On to better music!

• Bruuuuce! 1
46 minutes ago, the highway is alive said:

Looking like it will debut at #2 in US behind Luke Combs (an album from 2019, no less).

I think his days of topping the US charts is over, unless he gets lucky when no other big releases are coming.

American chart is so different from UK charts .looks like It more depend on popularity trends .

But It still a pity Bruce didn't get No .1 

They really should do more promotion.

Like U2 kind of promotion. 

25 minutes ago, Tenthavenuefreezeout said:

American chart is so different from UK charts .looks like It more depend on popularity trends .

But It still a pity Bruce didn't get No .1 

They really should do more promotion.

Like U2 kind of promotion. 

Streaming is the king of the US charts now, yet the vast majority of sales for Bruce this week will be pure album sales.

He's projected to sell 80-85k, which I think is really good given Western Stars did 66k, and High Hopes did 99k nearly 7 years ago.

He's doing a lot more promo for LTY - a big contrast from Western Stars, where he did zero. I don't blame him, he's probably bored in lockdown...

Bruce could fart out an album made up of alternate takes of Queen Of The Supermarket and it would still go number 1 in the UK charts. 

• Bruuuuce! 1
42 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

I don’t mind country music and I really like some Americana (Wilco type stuff). I don’t consider that album to fit in there. I’d rate it as a below average ABBA album though.

OK, enough of that album. On to better music!

On 10/23/2020 at 10:43 AM, stevie54uk said:

if and its a big IF Western stars was a masterpice this should replace  the Mona Lisa in the Louvre

10 minutes ago, the highway is alive said:

Streaming is the king of the US charts now, yet the vast majority of sales for Bruce this week will be pure album sales.

He's projected to sell 80-85k, which I think is really good given Western Stars did 66k, and High Hopes did 99k nearly 7 years ago.

He's doing a lot more promo for LTY - a big contrast from Western Stars, where he did zero. I don't blame him, he's probably bored in lockdown...

Bruce could fart out an album made up of alternate takes of Queen Of The Supermarket and it would still go number 1 in the UK charts. 

Yeah .hope next album he tour first .keep promoting .in the middle of the tour find a good date drop the album .So he can get a US  No .1 again .

UK seems love 60.70s artists .even The Rolling Stones got a No .1 with a reissue album this year .

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

You know the words already? :o

:lol:

Ok, a couple of lines, :D So break me now Big Mama and the next line and of course The confederacy is in my name now.:)

• Bruuuuce! 2
6 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

The Western Stars/LTY contrast and comparisons are really interesting.

I’m in the camp that has Western Stars at perfection level and LTY pretty close to it.

Western Stars creates a whole new world which you can live in with its detail, stories and characters.

LTY is a romp from start to finish. A bit of a time machine where you get dragged back and forward with a huge sound propelling it.

Great post. Have to agree. We've had two brilliant albums inside a year. 

Letter to You is top notch album. Nostalgia in it is off the scale. Genuinely delighted to love a Bruce and the band modern album. I've liked  The Rising, MAGIC etc but this is a different level in my view. Magestic. 

Brooooooocccccccceeeeeeeeee!!

Eeeeeeee  sttttttrrrrrreeeeetttttt bannnnnnnnnnnnnnd!

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Hay ! Easy on St Louis, D&D is a masterpiece 

;)

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

I'm loving this album very much, but has Bruce got too much of a thing about buckskin jackets and boots? :P

Yes

And

No 

6 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

@Rizla, aren't we moving the goal post a bit? So as long as we explain how terrible WS is, it's OK?

No, it isn't "moving the goal post".  Try reading my posts again.
For one thing, did you notice that I was very complimentary about several of the songs on LTY?

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Rizla said:

No, it isn't "moving the goal post".  Try reading my posts again.
For one thing, did you notice that I was very complimentary about several of the songs on LTY?

Complimentary, embarrassing, pretentious nonsense. It’s got it all!!!

I'm a little envious of people who think Bruce put out two masterpieces in less than a year ...

I think Western Stars is an interesting cohesive piece of art by Bruce ....But its not the Bruce i love.

In fact at this point i really couldn't be sure i would ever get the Bruce that i love again ......Tracks Disc 2 might have been the last time i got this much E Street Band sound.

It feels like a bit of a gift. :)

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 2

What I also said in another topic yesterday.

I think it is ridiculous to compare Western Stars to Letter To You, because both albums are so different from each other.

Comparing Letter To You to other Reunion-Era ESB albums makes much more sense to me.

And comparing Letter To You to other albums a little bit early anyway.

All-just an opinion.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Hay ! Easy on St Louis, D&D is a masterpiece 

;)

The truly last great all out original masterpiece with never a dull moment was "The Rising" and that includes "Nothing Man" ever release after has been full of great songs and filler

6 minutes ago, Lampi said:

What I also said in another topic yesterday.

I think it is ridiculous to compare Western Stars to Letter To You, because both albums are so different from each other.

Comparing Letter To You to other Reunion-Era ESB albums makes much more sense to me.

And comparing Letter To You to other albums a little bit early anyway.

All-just an opinion.

I agree its too early ....hoping it holds up ..... Magic has for me .....so i am hopeful .....

• Bruuuuce! 1