Greasy Lake Community

The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I like the most about this album is that there is something for everyone on it. Depending on what era you prefer, what style of song you prefer, whether you like acoustic Bruce, rock Bruce, pop B

Received from a friend by WhatsApp 

The wife was out with friends last night, so as I was cooking and eating dinner. Listened to the album, after dinner Moma still wasn't home so I watched the movie again. I can honestly say I have neve

Posted Images

Wow just finished watching the film. What a treat to see the E Street Band in the studio in such an intimate setting. When they were listening back to I'll See You In My Dreams and it was visible that Landau was struggling to hold back tears I started to lose it myself. Pretty powerful stuff. We're so lucky to have Bruce still putting out incredibly inspired work well into the 5th decade of his career.

• Like 8
  • Love Love Love! 1
7 minutes ago, Incident_95 said:

When they were listening back to I'll See You In My Dreams and it was visible that Landau was struggling to hold back tears I started to lose it myself. Pretty powerful stuff.

There is an interview I saw earlier today to Thom Zimny, and he describes that particular scene as his favorite moment of the movie. 

• Like 2

Just finished to watch too and I didn't heard the album yet. Wait tomorrow to listen from start to finish. 

It's great to see the band together back in studio. So many smiles, emotion, tears... 

It seems the album is kind of sentimental/nostalgic and Bruce knows that he is more close to death than life (I talk about the real amount of time he have before he will pass). And I feel the songs are like B-side of the whole carrer of Bruce... And I'm so happy what I have heard during the movie, a lot of 90's vibe (gimmick, solos). 

PS : I loved the San Siro discussion between Bruce, Nils and Steve... Pretty crazy and for sure I will go to San Siro for the next tour (if we have a tour...)

• Like 1

I've haven't heard the album yet, but I'm very intrigued by the songs whose recording don't feature directly on the documentary.

"One minute you're here" sounds as a possible WS outtake, and the "Brilliant Disguise" kind of video performance might betray that it wasn't recorded during the LTY sessions after all. I'm curious to read the song credits here.

"Rainmaker" is a Magic (or G.W. Bush) era outtake, maybe slightly reworked in 2019.

Even more interesting in this respect is the absence of "Janey needs a shooter". Referring to the old songs in the documentary, Bruce mentions having demoed them acoustically 50 years before, and they go through "Priest" and "Orphans" only. Those who have heard it, say "Janey" sound "suspiciously" similar to the 1979 full band incarnation.  Is it possible that it actually belongs to old recordings-with-new-vocals in the vein of much of The Promise / The Ties That Bind material?

Anyway, from what I've heard in the documentary, the album seems extremely solid. 

• Like 1

The film is a very enjoyable watch.

I got the impression that Jake wasn't there most of the time and just came in to record his parts separately. I also notice that in both the film credits and album credits, Charlie and Jake come under the heading of 'Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band' rather than the usual credit of 'additional musicians' 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Frank said:

"One moment you're there" sounds as a possible WS outtake, and the "Brilliant Disguise" kind of video performance might betray that it wasn't recorded during the LTY sessions after all. I'm curious to read the song credits here

In the CD booklet it lists that 'One Minute You're Here' was mixed by someone different from the rest of the album, but its not the same person who mixed Western Stars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

In the CD booklet it lists that 'One Minute You're Here' was mixed by someone different from the rest of the album, but its not the same person who mixed Western Stars.

Thank you. That’s really interesting. Do the credits list something different for ‘Rainmaker’ or ‘Janey’ with respect to the other tracks?

1 minute ago, Frank said:

Thank you. That’s really interesting. Do the credits list something different for ‘Rainmaker’ or ‘Janey’ with respect to the other tracks?

The only other thing is a credit for 'additional engineering' on One Minute, Burnin' Train and Rainmaker by Toby Scott, which doesn't quite fit due to the inclusion of Burnin' Train.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

The only other thing is a credit for 'additional engineering' on One Minute, Burnin' Train and Rainmaker by Toby Scott, which doesn't quite fit due to the inclusion of Burnin' Train.

Thank you very much!

I have been blown away. What an album! Great songs and nice that this album really breathes the live vibe of a concert. It sounds so fresh and not over produced. 
After hearing this album a couple of times I really hope after the Covid-19 we can hear these songs live. I have a hunger for an ESB concert and sing out loud these songs!

The Boss is back!!

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 3
4 hours ago, Perisic said:

Just bought the album at the local record store. Is there any interest to open a thread per song tomorrow? Or is that too much? Lots to discuss.

Do it ! 

But ill have to listen to my leeked copy intil next week 

Steve and Nils have already have already made me feel quilty enough 

44 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Is the printing in the booklet big enough for a generation Xer to be able to actually read it ?

....asking for a freind 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Is the printing in the booklet big enough for a generation Xer to be able to actually read it ?

....asking for a freind 

You, er I mean your friend, will need these:

68d4ac18-4deb-4b3f-b4d5-79a0c91538f8.JPG

• Haha 3

Hmm...

The documentary didn’t quite do it for me. Personally I wanted to get more of a feel for the recording process as opposed to seeing the band play to the studio tracks. Bits like the intro sequence (with Bruce guiding Roy through the LTY verse sequence) and then the band trying to figure out the structure of Ghosts was genuinely insightful. Also, the snippet where an early (inferior) take of Ghosts was interesting. 

As somebody else has mentioned, the shots of Landau getting emotional are actually quite hard hitting. 

Once again, as per the videos accompanying the single releases, the revelation was the No Nukes footage. My god that is truly stunning film. 

Having played the album 20+ times in the past week, it has grown on me significantly. It is truly stunning, although I can do without Power of Prayer (outro aside) and Thousand Guitars.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Incident_95 said:

Wow just finished watching the film. What a treat to see the E Street Band in the studio in such an intimate setting. When they were listening back to I'll See You In My Dreams and it was visible that Landau was struggling to hold back tears I started to lose it myself. Pretty powerful stuff. We're so lucky to have Bruce still putting out incredibly inspired work well into the 5th decade of his career.

I lost it.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Ok im off to work out apple tv free trial ...

Wish me luck

Ill need it 

Daisey, I did it, after mucking up my password and Id. Have the tissues ready.

• Thanks 1