Greasy Lake Community

The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

4 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

If vaccine roll out goes as well as hoped, we might yet see the LTY tour begin before the end of 2021. I’m not expecting a tour to come to Europe before summer 2022 but a Magic ‘07 style arena run from November 2021 might, just might, be possible. I guess we will see how rescheduled 2020 tours from other artists go next summer before any provisional tour plans are considered. You would expect economic factors to keep a lid on concert ticket prices too. 

Venue availability will be an issue, as I would imagine most will be booked up with postponed 2020 gigs.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I like the most about this album is that there is something for everyone on it. Depending on what era you prefer, what style of song you prefer, whether you like acoustic Bruce, rock Bruce, pop B

Received from a friend by WhatsApp 

The wife was out with friends last night, so as I was cooking and eating dinner. Listened to the album, after dinner Moma still wasn't home so I watched the movie again. I can honestly say I have neve

Posted Images

Plenty of venues in NZ, Australia, South Africa 

You know i have always admired Pink because years ago now she came to Dunedin because she found out no one did 

And she liked it and has been back

American and Europe is overflowing with venues, the promoter just has to look at a  town or two away from the booked up venues 

10 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Plenty of venues in NZ, Australia, South Africa 

You know i have always admired Pink because years ago now she came to Dunedin because she found out no one did 

And she liked it and has been back

American and Europe is overflowing with venues, the promoter just has to look at a  town or two away from the booked up venues 

It wouldn’t surprise me if the first leg of the LTY tour covered Australia and NZ from Jan/Feb 2022 with Europe in summer 2022. I’m sure the tour promoters will be watching with interest how things develop through 2021. As for venues, sports stadiums need the money so I would expect no shortage of availability. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
On 11/9/2020 at 11:52 AM, baertb said:

Agree!

And I noticed that Greetings, the first album is a postcard, the last one is a letter, full circle.

Which makes perfect artistic sense if it turns out to be his final studio statement. A bit like Three Steps To Heaven and That'll Be The Day, etc.

Finally got a chance to watch the documentary, and it was very moving. It got me to thinking: why is Bruce my favourite musical artist?  I like a lot of stuff and listen to a number of different genres regularly, yet I always come back to Bruce as my #1.  After reflecting on the documentary, I came to two main reasons:

1. His lyrics speak to me like no one else's. There are other great songwriters, but no one brings it home to me like Bruce. 

2.  I often find myself wanting to hear a particular instrument emphasized. That likely comes from the customary electric guitar solo in a lot of songs. When it comes to the ESB, I often want to hear a sax solo. I finally realized that what makes Bruce so special to me is how he brings all these instruments together in a way that makes the sum greater than the individual parts. He is both the arranger and conductor of a rock symphony unlike any other. 

Thank you, Bruce, for the wonderful humanity in your lyrics and for the amazing treasure trove of music you have gifted us all.    :)

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 3

The (three star) reviewer in Record Collector makes a good point, I think, when he says that LTY has the basis for two seperate albums.  One, a reflective, nostalgic, biographical record and the other an album full of rousing stadium rockers.

Listened to other things for a few days so my latest listen to LTY was particularly enjoyable

Still living Janny

But everything is fresh and the sound is just sooooo good

I think this is the first album that i love all the tracks from the 2nd listen and don't have to work at anything 

• Like 1

Just watched the film through again and I love how I notice something different every time. It’s just so good. 

It’s Friday night in lockdown in the UK, again. But I feel optimistic. And it’s not just because of the beers I’ve been sipping. I believe I will see this band live again in concert. The time will come, I feel sure. Zero’s my number. Time is my hunter. 

• Like 3

I've watched the film twice and I think it's a missed opportunity.  We don't get much of the band interaction - despite so much emphasis on how the album was recorded collectively - aside from a brief snippet at the start when they try and work out the chords / timing.  Indeed his cousin gets as much -if not more - air time. 

Bruce's faux intellectual schtick worked far better on the Western Stars film and there's only so much drone footage of a snowy New Jersey farmstead that you can look at. 

The Blood Brothers documentary is superior despite the band's obvious discomfort in the dynamic of their relationship. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Growin' Up said:

I've watched the film twice and I think it's a missed opportunity.  We don't get much of the band interaction - despite so much emphasis on how the album was recorded collectively - aside from a brief snippet at the start when they try and work out the chords / timing.  Indeed his cousin gets as much -if not more - air time. 

The Blood Brothers documentary is superior despite the band's obvious discomfort in the dynamic of their relationship. 

You’re right about the LTY doc. Blood Brothers is awkward as hell but that’s the beauty of it. It’s clear that the whole band hasn’t forgotten nor forgiven Bruce for the 1989 phone calls. It also makes me appreciate songs like Secret Garden more, knowing the mood in the room. 

Also, BB gives the audience a great insight into Bruce’s creative process. The Darkness box documentary isn’t half bad at that either (STICK!), either. 

Given Roy told Bruce not to demo the LTY songs in advance of the band getting together, I learned next to nothing from the film as to how the album was put together. It felt sanitised. It felt... predictable. Mix in those drone shots (loved that comment) with the band playing over the studio tracks and I’ll admit I got a little bored. 

Still not seen the movie yet.

Not really fussed to be honest. I've seen enough things like this. I love the album but i'm not really into all the stuff behind it.

Certainly seems to be mixed opinions on it here.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

A Comment:

I just wanted to share that I had been listening to Letter to You album for about a week when I received news that my older brother had suddenly passed away. My brother Ron introduced me to Springsteen when I visited him at college and he continuously played  Born to Run in his little record player. I remember it like it was yesterday. 

Letter to You has brought me great comfort during this difficult time, particularly I’ll See You In My Dreams. By the way, I now have by brothers guitar sitting by my bed. I’m not sure where I am going with this, but I am just so sad and wanted to share.

If by slim chance this message ever gets to you Bruce, all I would like to say is “thank you”. And thank you To all you Lakers for reading this. If anyone would understand I know you will. 
Ellen

• Hug 9
12 hours ago, diamondjacki said:

A Comment:

I just wanted to share that I had been listening to Letter to You album for about a week when I received news that my older brother had suddenly passed away. My brother Ron introduced me to Springsteen when I visited him at college and he continuously played  Born to Run in his little record player. I remember it like it was yesterday. 

Letter to You has brought me great comfort during this difficult time, particularly I’ll See You In My Dreams. By the way, I now have by brothers guitar sitting by my bed. I’m not sure where I am going with this, but I am just so sad and wanted to share.

If by slim chance this message ever gets to you Bruce, all I would like to say is “thank you”. And thank you To all you Lakers for reading this. If anyone would understand I know you will. 
Ellen

Ellen...I'm so very sorry to hear about the loss of your brother.  Hugs for you.