Greasy Lake Community

The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I like the most about this album is that there is something for everyone on it. Depending on what era you prefer, what style of song you prefer, whether you like acoustic Bruce, rock Bruce, pop B

Received from a friend by WhatsApp 

The wife was out with friends last night, so as I was cooking and eating dinner. Listened to the album, after dinner Moma still wasn't home so I watched the movie again. I can honestly say I have neve

Posted Images

On 12/9/2020 at 4:37 PM, Eileen said:

I am so very sorry to read the sad news about your brother. We're all here for you, Ellen, and I'm glad you've got Bruce's music, too. x

Thank you so much Eileen. I don’t post here often, but when I do there are always kind people like yourself to lend support. 

• Like 2
  • Hug 1
On 12/9/2020 at 5:30 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

@diamondjacki im very sorry about the loss of your brother 

i hope the rest of your family are able  in some fashion (durring covid) to come together and support and love each other at this hardest of times 

Thank you Daisy. I really appreciate your kind words and reaching out. It means a lot. Looking forward to watching SNL tomorrow :)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, diamondjacki said:

Thank you Daisy. I really appreciate your kind words and reaching out. It means a lot. Looking forward to watching SNL tomorrow :)

We are all here for you if you need is 

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/11/2020 at 2:55 PM, Promise61 said:

The (three star) reviewer in Record Collector makes a good point, I think, when he says that LTY has the basis for two seperate albums.  One, a reflective, nostalgic, biographical record and the other an album full of rousing stadium rockers.

Much like The River!

• Like 2
On 11/12/2020 at 3:55 AM, Promise61 said:

The (three star) reviewer in Record Collector makes a good point, I think, when he says that LTY has the basis for two seperate albums.  One, a reflective, nostalgic, biographical record and the other an album full of rousing stadium rockers.

8 hours ago, thomam said:

Much like The River!

And that's what makes the river record perfect

It is brimming with ups and downs just like real life

Wouldn't you agree ?@Early North Jersey

1 minute ago, Early North Jersey said:

Tough question ...... Sort of like Cadillac Ranch .....absolutely rousing rock and roll .....but with overtones of death

Yip

Exactly

And while we're at it ill say again how fabulous that 2016 river tour was

He made all that frill and fill (aka the rockers :lol:) have dept and real thought provoking meaning that did keep me awake at night long after SLV had gone to bed

• Like 1
Just now, Daisey Jeep said:

Yip

Exactly

And while we're at it ill say again how fabulous that 2016 river tour was

He made all that frill and fill (aka the rockers :lol:) have dept and real thought provoking meaning that did keep me awake at night long after SLV had gone to bed

Dont want to be morbid ....but the year The River came out ..... I did indeed pack my pa and my aunt to the Cadillac Ranch....was a bad year made more bearable by Bruce and my Bruce girl .....

• Hug 1
5 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Dont want to be morbid ....but the year The River came out ..... I did indeed pack my pa and my aunt to the Cadillac Ranch....was a bad year made more bearable by Bruce and my Bruce girl .....

Oh Bob sorry to hear that

Its good Bruce is always there to help us through the shit times

You know my poor old mum hung on for ages in a pretty much vegativ state - (she didn't deserve that)

But if she had died any closer to my Bruce dates i was going to put her on ice 

She had the worst timings

She went into perminate care the day i flew to Moncton and we had had a telephone conference with the doctor just as i was going out the door to the airport 

By the time i got home less than a week latter - i, the first born was gone from her memory for ever 

But when Bruce played Mary's place in Chch i guess the healing from many years of hurt finally started 

The thing that most resonated with me from that '16 river  tour was the realisation that our struggles and dreams actually belonged to our parents before us.

When Bruce said born to run was really about his mum and dad

I guess its something that comes to us all eventually

Is that the point where we have finally grown up ?

• Hug 1
17 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Oh Bob sorry to hear that

Its good Bruce is always there to help us through the shit times

You know my poor old mum hung on for ages in a pretty much vegativ state - (she didn't deserve that)

But if she had died any closer to my Bruce dates i was going to put her on ice 

She had the worst timings

She went into perminate care the day i flew to Moncton and we had had a telephone conference with the doctor just as i was going out the door to the airport 

By the time i got home less than a week latter - i, the first born was gone from her memory for ever 

But when Bruce played Mary's place in Chch i guess the healing from many years of hurt finally started 

The thing that most resonated with me from that '16 river  tour was the realisation that our struggles and dreams actually belonged to our parents before us.

When Bruce said born to run was really about his mum and dad

I guess its something that comes to us all eventually

Is that the point where we have finally grown up ?

Sounds like Bruce was there for both of us at a tough time in our lives Daisey .....one of the reasons we love him so much.

• Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, Early North Jersey said:

Sounds like Bruce was there for both of us at a tough time in our lives Daisey .....one of the reasons we love him so much.

Despite the banjos and Commie Tommy we're pretty lucky to have him :)

As ive said before i would not swap him for every All Black that ever kicked the ball

But Imagine if our 'Bruce' was Bowie or Prince or Tom Petty :(

24 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Despite the banjos and Commie Tommy we're pretty lucky to have him :)

As ive said before i would not swap him for every All Black that ever kicked the ball

But Imagine if our 'Bruce' was Bowie or Prince or Tom Petty :(

Great point .....we are lucky to have him ..... I do think Bruce has stayed clean for the most part though ....I'm sure that helps !

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

Caddy will always be a party rocker to me, no death allowed! 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
4 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

Tough question ...... Sort of like Cadillac Ranch .....absolutely rousing rock and roll .....but with overtones of death

Caddy will always be a party rocker to me, no death needed.

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

I like your version better :)

Me too :D

We need to go hang out with Jimmy when all this covid bullshit is over :)

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Something weird happened to day as I was listening to ESR. The song Letter To You came on. When it first hit as a single, I said OMG, this is the best tune since Harry's Place. Now all the sudden it maybe my second least favorite on the album! Is that normal? Only ahead of Rainmaker. 

14 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Something weird happened to day as I was listening to ESR. The song Letter To You came on. When it first hit as a single, I said OMG, this is the best tune since Harry's Place. Now all the sudden it maybe my second least favorite on the album! Is that normal? Only ahead of Rainmaker. 

It hit me like a freight train after they continuously played it. Although it may just be my braining thinking I hate the album.

Unfortunately for me, when the album I was going through a, "I get so distracted by Bruce this or Bruce that (along w/ the g. lake)" phase that even my Dad (the og Springsteen fan in our family) noticed it and told me to stop lol.

I cut out all Bruce stuff including deleting my library, I think I have permanently scarred myself into disliking the album.

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Gez mate poor rainmaker (i love that one), whats it done to you ? :(:D

I think this is normal 

Its just that the album is so good, your ears have tunned in to all the songs and its an album overflowing with such great songs, your preferences have just changed

I bet if you heard LTY on a regular radio station you'd be so excitted the cops would want to breathalize you ! 

Sometimes i hear my neighbour's classic hits radio station and i get excitted when i hear DITD :lol:

1 hour ago, zzcoolness said:

It hit me like a freight train after they continuously played it. Although it may just be my braining thinking I hate the album.

Unfortunately for me, when the album I was going through a, "I get so distracted by Bruce this or Bruce that (along w/ the g. lake)" phase that even my Dad (the og Springsteen fan in our family) noticed it and told me to stop lol.

I cut out all Bruce stuff including deleting my library, I think I have permanently scarred myself into disliking the album.

Can you get your library back ?

Dont throw out the whole ice cream van because you had one feijoa and lime 

18 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Can you get your library back ?

Dont throw out the whole ice cream van because you had one feijoa and lime 

lol, I put it on a hard drive that I keep tucked away, just deleted it from my computer. On the flipside, it really helped me broaden my musical interests anddd stop using apple music for just that. The spotify prem is for the things I discovered and put in this big ass play list, and apple music contains my interesting but not enough for a rotation and LTY and other bruce stuff. 

• Bruuuuce! 1
2 hours ago, zzcoolness said:

lol, I put it on a hard drive that I keep tucked away, just deleted it from my computer. On the flipside, it really helped me broaden my musical interests anddd stop using apple music for just that. The spotify prem is for the things I discovered and put in this big ass play list, and apple music contains my interesting but not enough for a rotation and LTY and other bruce stuff. 

Sounds all  good then

Sometimes absence makes the heart (or ears) grow fonder

Ever now and then i listen to someone else just so i can post on the other mudic forum :D

• Haha 2