Greasy Lake Community

The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

4 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Sounds all  good then

Sometimes absence makes the heart (or ears) grow fonder

Ever now and then i listen to someone else just so i can post on the other mudic forum :D

it's definitely made me appreciate 93-96 performances more, but I still can't wrap my head around GoTJ as much as I would like :blink:.

Side note lmao, I chose Drilliant Disguise for the final, when we analyzed music videos. That is totally the downside to basically only listening to Springsteen for 14 years, I didn't know any other music videos :lol:, (thanks again Mom and Dad ;)). 

• Bruuuuce! 1

3 hours ago, zzcoolness said:

it's definitely made me appreciate 93-96 performances more, but I still can't wrap my head around GoTJ as much as I would like :blink:.

Side note lmao, I chose Drilliant Disguise for the final, when we analyzed music videos. That is totally the downside to basically only listening to Springsteen for 14 years, I didn't know any other music videos :lol:, (thanks again Mom and Dad ;)). 

Your Mom and Dad did good ! 

Joad will come to you, its just waiting for its time

All Springsteen eventually reveals itself -(i listen to the banjos and wsshboards at least once a year because i know im missing something and one day I'll get it)

I started my acoustic Bruce journey with D&D - that bonus dvd was gold plus i grew up with country music

Then i found Nebraska - which is my favourite 2am listen

Then Joad

Some days Joad fights with Darkness as my favourite record

Although i now know its best for me not to do too much Joad it the winter when there isnt as much sun

I like to listen to the same album exclusively for weeks sometimes months at a time

Joad is the only record i don't listen to at full blast

(I despise Morello's electric Joad although i enjoy an electric Youngstown)

Joad is like poetry set to music

Very gentle quiet music because the characters in Joad havn't had much gentleness in their lives, not many people have taken the time to listen to their story 

They are the same people from Darkness, The River, from Nebraska, BITUSA 

The only difference between the people on Joad and all of us is one wrong turn in the road

I love the album

It made me read the grapes of wrath

Not being on the high school reading list in NZ its a very though proving read as an adult

Im a rightie, ive always been anti union until i read that book

I went to work the next day and joined the union

My favourite Joad tracks are straight time, highway 29 and dry lightening but i enjoy the whole albun

One day when it clicks with you come back and tell me all about it 

There are a couple of great books - the follow up is someplace like America - photographs and stories that fit the theme of Joad with the forward by Bruce Springsteen

Its  by Dale  Maharidge and photographer Michael S. Williamson -tales from the great new depression about ordinary people who feel through the cracks

Its a pretty sobering read

after the covid pandemic is over get it out of the library 

Some great pictures of Jeannette  the blast furnace from Youngstown that Bruce visited 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

My best to worst list now as some time has passed from the release, I think this is how it probably will stay. 

1. Ghosts
2. The Power Of Prayer 
3. Last Man Standing
4. Priest
5. Song For Orphans
6. Dreams
7. Burning Train
8. House Of
9. One Minute
10. Janey
11. Letter To You
12. Rainmaker

1-6 are gems. 7-11 great, and nowadays I don't skip Rainmaker. It is what it is but I can accept it as a part of the listening experience. 

Great songs and it tells something about how good this album is that a song like Janey is so low on my list. 

And I like to listen House of 1000 guitars after Jungleland sometimes as it feels like an outro to it. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

On 1/16/2021 at 7:21 PM, Captain Chaos said:

Listened to the album for the first time in ages today.

Such a warmth to it - really enjoyed hearing it again.

Same here just now. Can wash the dishes to this. You can't wash the dishes to Western Stars

Utterly fantastic set of songs and performances

• Like 1

Just came back to it for the first time since Thanksgiving or so. 1,000 Guitars and Power of Prayer have not taken the break well. They sound very similar and neither works for me. Boring and kind of hokey. They work like an emergency break in the middle of the album for me. Otherwise though, it’s really an enjoyable listen.

• Like 1

I just walked up to the shops to go to the chemist for Gary

Letter to you is sounding great 

The whole album just has this huge sound 

Classic E Street but also fresh 

The power of prayer is still my favourite

I just love its ebbs and flows like a lazy and contented  ocean 

Stands outs for me Ghosts, house of 1000 guitars and the 3 oldies - not that they sound old in the slightest

I can't help but wish the promise had had this full band treatment on 18 tracks but maybe some songs need to mature into a great vintage 

Max is my stand our today 

Not a dud on the album

• Like 3

Loved Ghosts and Letter To You at first listen... still do. Really like Janey, Burnin Train, Prayer, and Rainmaker. 1,000 Guitars and Last Man Standing are my weakest preferences. This is a really good album - my favorite since The Rising.

• Like 3

Still loving it. Many great songs. Rainmaker still not doing it for me though.

House of a thousand guitars, Power of prayer, Last Man Standing, Ghosts, See you in my dreams...all absolute gems in my opinion. All have the classic Springsteen magical combination of melody, power, cracking arrangement and great lyrics.

I was wary of the old songs being re-done with the band, but they all work superbly. 

I've actually been listening to the soundtrack from the Western Stars movie and it made me realise just what a bloody masterpiece WS was. Every song is fabulous. The big orchestra just adds to what were already wonderful songs.

Western Stars would be a five star album for me, with Letter to you probably a four star.

Both very different. Both latter career classics.

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've changed yet again my obsession with this album to Janey now. Fresh like it was written yesterday. 

Still stunned how great this album is, and has been since day one. Haven't felt like this about any one album in a long time.

• Love Love Love! 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I've changed yet again my obsession with this album to Janey now. Fresh like it was written yesterday. 

Still stunned how great this album is, and has been since day one. Haven't felt like this about any one album in a long time.

For me today its if i were the priest 

But power of prayer is still my go-to repeat !

6 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

For me today its if i were the priest 

But power of prayer is still my go-to repeat !

If I was the Priest is the only that has broken me of this inter hatred Ive talked about before lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Are you waiting for the Antonoff production? :P

No:lol: it's so hard to make my mind think the ablum is good, even though I love IIWTP, Ghosts, Burnin' Train, Rainmaker. and JNAS

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

I'll See You In My Dreams video new on YouTube

Gee when did this happen ?

Thanks Keith

On 1/16/2021 at 6:37 PM, zzcoolness said:

Oh the coolest thing about being a teen in the 80s (after big hair) was music videos

Some of the best ones were like short films

I only knew what the ESB looked like from the glory days video

• Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

I'll See You In My Dreams video new on YouTube

Oh wow thats so sad

Did you see C and Danny ?

That's nice of Bruce to delicate that to his promoter buddy

For me its Tibby's song now and i can't listen to it without crying

I'll love you for ever boy xxx

20200824_214058.jpg

16 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Oh the coolest thing about being a teen in the 80s (after big hair) was music videos

Some of the best ones were like short films

I only knew what the ESB looked like from the glory days video

Highway Patrolman really stands out....

When MTV still had music I think ;) 

• Bruuuuce! 1

1 minute ago, zzcoolness said:

Highway Patrolman really stands out....

When MTV still had music I think ;) 

I am the mtv veneration (except we never got mtv here)

Don't they play much music now ? :(

12 year old me is sad to hear this

It used to take 3 months for the music mags to get here on a slow boat out of the UK

The 80s were a bit of a wasteland here yet on the 60s the Beatles and the Stones had performed in my city 

My mum and dad were too old to be baby boomers so they liked slightly older more of the original rock and rock

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I am the mtv veneration (except we never got mtv here)

Don't they play much music now ? :(

12 year old me is sad to hear this

It used to take 3 months for the music mags to get here on a slow boat out of the UK

The 80s were a bit of a wasteland here yet on the 60s the Beatles and the Stones had performed in my city 

My mum and dad were too old to be baby boomers so they liked slightly older more of the original rock and rock

They might still, but it's a lot of reality tv with music playing in the middle of the night and some other assorted channels VH1/2, and some other stuff.

But I was quoting the song 1985 by SR-71, better known as that song Bowling for soup covered.

• Thanks 1