Greasy Lake Community

The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

That was a pretty fantastic film.

When Landau started to lose it during the playback of SYIM Dreams, I went with him. A very powerful moment. George Theiss is prominent throughout this film. His passing clearly has impacted Bruce a great deal.

• Like 8
  • Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I like the most about this album is that there is something for everyone on it. Depending on what era you prefer, what style of song you prefer, whether you like acoustic Bruce, rock Bruce, pop B

Received from a friend by WhatsApp 

The wife was out with friends last night, so as I was cooking and eating dinner. Listened to the album, after dinner Moma still wasn't home so I watched the movie again. I can honestly say I have neve

Posted Images

That was one emotional watch. To see the themes of each song play out in front of your eyes was one thing, to add the narrative just pushed it over the limit. Beautifully filmed and some rather dark overtones throughout which JL showed in the end and  George Thiess does throughout.

Simply beautiful to watch a band of blood brothers make such a remarkable album. 

• Like 1

"Old buckskin jacket you always wore
Hangs on the back of my bedroom door
Boots and the spurs you used to ride
Click down the hall but never arrive"

ONE TRACK after "If I Was The Priest"!

I love it!!!

There's a TON of other things along the way I've taken as possible references, too. But that one is undeniable!!

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Loved the doc much more than Western Stars. Generally, i am not very emotional but parts of the documentary gets to you. These guys have been such an integral part of all our lives for so many years and to see Bruce talk about mortality got to me at some point. It was sad to see Landau losing it during I'll see you in my dreams.

Downloaded the album from Apple Music and initial impressions...Burnin Train is my current favourite, love One minute you're here. The three old songs are my least favorites at the moment but repeated listens may make me change my mind. Overall a solid album. The band sounds great. Ron Aniello's production is wonderful as is Bob Clearmountain's mixes.

Haven't checked out the documentary yet but this album is an instant classic, almost definitely a least my #8, might end up even higher, at this point ranking it or even saying it's my favorite album I've listened to on launch day by any artist feels trite because I mean this is just amazing, it is such a gift to devoted fans, it is specifically for those of us who have been on this train for however many years, at times a very very direct message to us(/letter to us), it's a reflection on mortality but in such a beautiful beautiful uplifting hopeful optimistic way - I love it. I love this. This has gotta be how people felt when some of the all-time greats came out because this is an instant classic. It's a lot of what I love about Blackstar by Bowie but this time it's MY GUY doing it. Overwhelming. Excellent. It made a great first impression even on a tired night after a rough day and will only, surely, grow more and more and more over time with more attentive listens in a better vibe at better times, but like right away I already L OVE it.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 and 1 makes 3.

Death may take Bruce, one of those two original parties may be gone...

...but that still leaves 2.

That still leaves the magical intangible SOMETHING that is the result of human connection.

And that is this album.

1 and 1 makes 3.

• Like 3

This is Bruce Springsteen's 70th birthday party, he celebrated with his closest musical compatriots but invited us all along as well.

The three old songs are the old photos / videos being displayed.

Tremendous stuff. Burnin' Train may be the hardest rocking studio capture of E Street there is.

The last 10 seconds of I'll See You In My Dreams where everything drops away and it's just Bruce has slayed me three times in a row now. Roy's notorious flies have made it down under.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

So this is my release day so far. 

CD and Amazon MP3 Downloads ordered as post here is so bad, it could be next week before the CD arrives. Gets email with link to Amazon download. Clicks excitedly. Downloads album. Very quick. Opens folder. Sees.... "Letter to You" and "Ghosts". Aaaarrggh, it's the bloody single, not the album.

Opens chat with Amazon. Sorted in 5 minutes. Now has full album. 3 songs in. Wow.....

Burning Train blowing my socks off (although given the "Long Walk Home" undertones, that's hardly surprising. 

Now have to go on the daily standup videoconference and interrupt my listening pleasure :angry:

• Bruuuuce! 1

So far so good 

But now i have no idea if im on the right thread

Have got apple tv working 

Gary is in bed so no ear phones 

But Tibby has gone out and Borris just ran out the front door i hope not to get away from Bruce 

1603439948112185217061.jpg

1 hour ago, biloxiparish said:

First take: I thought I'd hate The Power Of Prayer. No. It brought the tears instantly. It was absolutely stunning. And the lyrics give space to interpret them the way you want - to forget about the religion. 

I absolutely love that song. 

It’s one I keep coming back to. Love the vibe of it.

Reminds me of every John Hughes teen based 80s movie I ever saw. And I mean that as a really great thing. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, thomam said:

So this is my release day so far. 

CD and Amazon MP3 Downloads ordered as post here is so bad, it could be next week before the CD arrives. Gets email with link to Amazon download. Clicks excitedly. Downloads album. Very quick. Opens folder. Sees.... "Letter to You" and "Ghosts". Aaaarrggh, it's the bloody single, not the album.

Opens chat with Amazon. Sorted in 5 minutes. Now has full album. 3 songs in. Wow.....

Burning Train blowing my socks off (although given the "Long Walk Home" undertones, that's hardly surprising. 

Now have to go on the daily standup videoconference and interrupt my listening pleasure :angry:

Very similar to my start to the day. Up at 5am as i couldn't wait any longer only to find that only the the 2 previously released songs were the only ones that would download. Reckon Amazon chat was busy this morning as there was obviously an issue with their download of the album.

• Like 1

Just Two words: AMAZING ALBUM. 

I didn't know the old songs so to me they are three gorgeous gifts from the past that makes this album even better. But the other songs are very good too. Ghosts, burning train and last man standing are my favorite at the moment. House of thousand guitarss Is the only that i don't like very much. 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1