Greasy Lake Community

The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I like the most about this album is that there is something for everyone on it. Depending on what era you prefer, what style of song you prefer, whether you like acoustic Bruce, rock Bruce, pop B

Received from a friend by WhatsApp 

The wife was out with friends last night, so as I was cooking and eating dinner. Listened to the album, after dinner Moma still wasn't home so I watched the movie again. I can honestly say I have neve

Posted Images

If my ears are not deceiving me, that gorgeous version of SYIM Dreams in the film is a different version to the album version. There's more Patti in the film version.

51 minutes ago, Bullett said:

7 songs in... I'm in my room with a Thousand Guitars... where the music never ends.

And as for... Janey Needs A Shooter... 

I enjoyed the film very much

I felt kinda warm and fuzzy seeing them all together and i look forward to a world where it is going to be safe to hug each other again

With the exception of Jon i thought everyone looked in good health

I don't care how old Bruce is he still looks hot 

My favourite part of the movie was the end where he was talking over all that gorgouse snow and also Baby I

I think the old songs fit right in

Ive havn't listened to any of them for quite a few years 

And i think we have not seen the end of the ESB just yet

Bruce still has some worlds left that he hasn't used yet from the English language 

Why all the coats - i hate winter clothes

Why not just turn the heat up 

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Bullett said:

And as for... Janey Needs A Shooter... 

Is it me, or is there a touch of The Promise at the beginning?

• Like 1

Wauw! What an amazing movie. It really moved me. Some parts remind me to Blood Brothers movie. 
Zimny did a really great job with this documentary!!

35 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I felt kinda warm and fuzzy seeing them all together and i look forward to a world where it is going to be safe to hug each other again

My favourite part of the movie was the end where he was talking over all that gorgouse snow and also Baby I

Bruce still has some worlds left that he hasn't used yet from the English language 

I was just about to ask if you got to watch the documentary or do you need assistance. Glad you enjoyed it.

I'll watch it later tonight.

• Bruuuuce! 1
51 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

If my ears are not deceiving me, that gorgeous version of SYIM Dreams in the film is a different version to the album version. There's more Patti in the film version.

That’s also my impression. And it’s a pity. Patti did a splendid job on the video. 

• Like 4

Just finished my first listen. It’s magnificent. Easily the best thing he’s done since The Rising. Maybe the best the band has ever sounded on a studio album.
My favorites: damn near all of them. This is an album I will listen to beginning to end many times. Thousand Guitars and Janey Needs a Shooter are probably the weakest and my least favorites.

I was a little unsure how the older songs would work but they sound great. If I Was Priest is so catchy especially the chorus. Amazing what he did with song. So different than the early demo boot but it works. Orphans sounds good too but I think I do prefer a slower version of that song. All the instruments step on the lyrics a little. It’s still a great song though. 

Overall, it’s 5 stars from me. Best he’s done in a long, long time. I just hope we get to hear these songs live 

• Like 8

Just finished listening to the entire album. Thank you Bruce and band. Once again a tonic in trying times. 

Love the album sound. Hearing the band play live in the studio makes such a difference. Bruce sings beautifully throughout. The first true ESB album in a long while. 

• Like 2

Loving the whole album. Just what we needed right now. Has made my year and lovely to see him in good health during interviews. Have not seen Apple documentary but a big Thanks to Bruce for still giving his all to us. 

• Bruuuuce! 1

Any favourite lyrics?

Outside of the 3 older, lyric filled songs I love that segment in HOATG about the bitter and the bored waking to search for the lost chord. 

Also the bit in SYIMD about keeping the guitars and records by the bed. 

The line in Last Man Standing about counting off the names of the missing as you count off time is genius. 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Glad you got it to work.

• Thanks 1

First listen opinion (which is never my final verdict) is that it’s got a solid flow to it. Easy to listen to from beginning to end. House of a Thousand Guitars sounded a bit hokey to me but maybe I just need to listen more intently. I’m looking forward to having this album grow on me.

• Like 2

Why didn't I just go to Morrisons to buy it? It never crossed my mind, that's why.

Don't think the posties work on Saturdays atm ... Monday probably.

• Sad 3

Favorite track for me, by far on this album.   Appropriate emoji's added on my favorite lines.  Some of the best lyrics he's written in years...

"Burnin' Train"

Zero's my number, time is my hunter
I wanted you to heal me but instead you set me on fire
We were out over the borders, I washed you in holy water:P
We whispered our black prayers and rose up in flames

Take me on your burnin' train

White sun burnin', black wings beatin'
I ran my fingers 'cross the hollow of your stomach as you lay breathing:D
With our shared faith
Rising dark and decayed
Take me and shake me from this mortal cage:) (2020 feelings summed up in 9 words...)

Something's shining in the light 'neath your breast
The thick smell of you on my chest

On your bed of thorns, I brought you shining gifts
Wiped the sweat from your brow and I touched your lips
Sheets stained with sweat, outside the endless rain
Darlin', I'm blessed in your blood and marked by Cain:D (always love his Catholic imagery call-backs)

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

This is Bruce Springsteen's 70th birthday party, he celebrated with his closest musical compatriots but invited us all along as well.

The three old songs are the old photos / videos being displayed.

Tremendous stuff. Burnin' Train may be the hardest rocking studio capture of E Street there is.

The last 10 seconds of I'll See You In My Dreams where everything drops away and it's just Bruce has slayed me three times in a row now. Roy's notorious flies have made it down under.

I can't stop listening to Burnin' Train ..... Between that incredible intro and what i am assuming is Bruce harmonizing with himself on this line

"I wanted you to heal me but instead you set me on fire"

I am completely blown away

I'll See You In My Dreams left me a complete pile of blubbering mush the first time i heard it.

Hey i liked the Banjos .... and i know a lot of you love acoustic Bruce .....

But this is the kind of music that made him a superstar...The reason we are all here.

• Like 6
  • Bruuuuce! 3

At last, Bruce really is back. What an awesome album, 3 listens walking the dog - who is now knackered - and time to set up the movie.

I'm pleased to see that the criticism of most other recent albums has been vindicated by this cracking album. Age really is just a number. 

If only we could get a tour...but no complaints, very happy with what we've got.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 3