Greasy Lake Community

The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I like the most about this album is that there is something for everyone on it. Depending on what era you prefer, what style of song you prefer, whether you like acoustic Bruce, rock Bruce, pop B

Received from a friend by WhatsApp 

The wife was out with friends last night, so as I was cooking and eating dinner. Listened to the album, after dinner Moma still wasn't home so I watched the movie again. I can honestly say I have neve

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Don't think the posties work on Saturdays atm ... Monday probably.

At one point I read that Royal Mail was suspending Saturday deliveries, but I've never seen any evidence of it. I received mail last Saturday.

• Like 2

A few listens now. I'm blown away by the album. It's a masterpiece.

The writing and the thread throughout of age, loss, acceptance, recovery, regret, pride and memory is just magnificent. Touching without being morose, sadness tinged with the joy of the good memories. The feeling of a life achieved whilst something also slips away. I've come out of a miserable 2 months of loss and he's given me tears, smiles and nods of the head in appreciation of sentiments.

Above that though is the feel and the sound. The only other albums that come close to the energy and spontaneity of the playing are Born to Run and The River. This is the E-Street Band, the world's greatest live performers, bringing that towering ability to a studio like never before, performed, produced and arranged by a team absolutely at the top of their game.

There may be a couple of misfires (Thousand Guitars / Rainmaker) but honestly, forget The Rising, this is the best "E Street Band" album since The River. 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I listen the album three time this morning and I can confirm my yesterday thoughts about the album. I will not reviewed tracks by tracks because I think it's too much and not add anything because I consider this album as whole thing and not thinking track by track. 

Even if the majority of the tracks has been written very fast (as Bruce saids during the documentary) I think the musical part seems indescribable. As I mentioned yesterday in every song I felt it could be a B-side of another album.

This is why I love so much this album, because everything fit right and so different. And the whole album can be play live. We have some good rock songs, some quiet songs and the nostalgic part with Janey, If I Was A Priest and Song For Orphan. 

There is a lot of nostalgic vibe with the songs itself (from the 70's), a lot of gimmicks and riffing who reminds me a lot the 90's and also the first decade of 2000 with the manner of Bruce singing (The Rising, D&D, Magic).

But I am also agree with some people who listen the album about Rainmaker and Janey who seems not recorded during the 5 days studio. They have the sound of Letter to you production BUT we can all hear a little difference between these tow songs and the rest of the album. And maybe it could explain why the album was "delayed" and why Bruce nedeed to go in the studio frequently (as Patti mentioned in an interview for her record). In the beginning of the documentary, the band recorded the album during fall 2019.

Well, we all know what happen next : pandemic, "postponed" tour, etc ... I don't know why if the pandemic rescheduled the release or not.

But I am pretty convicted that Letter to you was postponed to concur with a tour. But it is not. Anyway I am very glad to hear new songs for giving us hope to see Bruce and The E Street Band next year or in 2022.

I think I am not the only one who would love to hear this album from start to finish (not in order) in live, add a majority of Western Stars songs and also classics "generic" songs. The setlist could be refreshing, powerful and also emotional. 

• Like 5

From "Land of a Thousand Guitars"'

Now that's a shot.....

The criminal clown has stolen the throne
He steals what he can never own
May the truth ring out from every small town bar
We'll light up the house of a thousand guitars

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, ncsprngstn said:

Now that's a shot.....

"I been knocking on the door that holds the throne"

Someone lost the key...

• Like 1

More thoughts on Burnin' Train (my favorite on the album)...

This last verse has a very "For You" feel to it...not to mention the call back to NYC Serenade  with ...."sheets stained with sweat".  From NYC Serenade..  "Janey sleeps in sheets damp with sweat..."

On your bed of thorns, I brought you shining gifts
Wiped the sweat from your brow and I touched your lips
Sheets stained with sweat, outside the endless rain
Darling I'm blessed in your blood and marked by Cain

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

The ONLY song that had not immediately grabbed me is I’ll See you in My Dreams. Don’t know about this one. A bit like a working on a Dream outtake. And, I really like Power of Prayer, but don’t LOVE IT.

THE OTHER TEN tracks though, they’re just top shelf Bruce material. And recorded so SO well. This is how Bruce and the Band MUST record, always, in the future. Please.

Bruce’s voice is just beautiful throughout too.  I knew it would be from my first hearings of Letter to You, the song. Just his Roy Orbison stylings on  “true” and “blue”...I knew he’d found a new voice. Wonderful. 

Outstanding, and a simply great companion and complement to Western Stars. Those two albums, added together, have bought a relatively recent wealth of beautiful  new Bruce material to us. 

Thanks Bruce. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ncsprngstn said:

Now that's a shot.....

Sounds like our “Wonderful” governor Cuomo here in NY

First listen or so, some thoughts.

Really impressed by the trio of older songs. The band sounds fantastic. What a statement to that prolific period of 1970-1985 in which even his outtakes and leftovers continue to enthrall us today.

Only song I'm not digging is "House of a Thousand Guitars." How can you have that title and not have a shredding rocker?

I'm undecided about "Rainmaker" at the moment. Its catchy, but something about it feels a bit off. As others have noted, his vocals sound like mid-2000s Bruce.

• Like 2

No CD for me in today's post :(

Consoled myself with the documentary . What a lovely companion to the new LP!

Watching the band breathe life into the music is just magic. Course I got teary in places.

Jake's solo with Bruce conducting him and clearly Clarence's spirit. Stevie's solo guitar riff in If I Were A Priest.

Just heartwarmingly wonderful and heartbreaking . How we all need that communion of a live show.

Bravo Bruce and the E Street Band.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, thomam said:

Is it me, or is there a touch of The Promise at the beginning?

No, it isn't you. I hear shades of The Promise throughout, not just at the beginning. Great song.

• Like 1

Fantastic record (B+/A-) It’s not gonna reach "Masterpiece” for me because I have issues with too many songs. However, for the eight songs I do like - I REALLY love them!! So, I think we all have some new classics on our hands that we’ll be excited to hear live over and over again. 

Issues:

1) While I like "One Minute You’re Here", it shouldn’t be opening an album. 

2) Burin Train - lousy tune.

3) "Janey” - Been listening to this for years but he over sings it here, especially on that last verse. 

4) “Rainmaker" - I don’t think I can recall a song this out of place musically (on a new album) since "Real Man”! It sounds like a distorted version of "American Beauty”. If anything, this deserves to be either a b-side or something to throw on the next "Tracks".

Every other song on the album just blows me away!! This is the way they should have been making music all along this Century. Also, Jake’s solos are terrific!! I’m so happy he included the horn for this album because that’s really the backbone of their sound ... I also think he’s using one of his Uncles actual instruments as well ?!?!

"Priest”; "Last Man”; "Power" & "Orphans" are all instant classics!

Great album! Congrats to the crew ..

Brad

I love power of prayer

It sounds like its off Magic like a cross between Girls, long walk home and I'll work for your love 

• Like 2

Really really really love one minute your here

The sound of the ESB echo out the loneliness

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Its 3.21am

Does my phone have enough charge for another listening...

Do you not have power cables in New Zealand?:ph34r:

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

At one point I read that Royal Mail was suspending Saturday deliveries, but I've never seen any evidence of it. I received mail last Saturday.

I think we only get snail mail 3 times a week now

The posties all had their hours cut and work load increase 

And its like $1.40 for a letter now 

2 minutes ago, thomam said:

Do you not have power cables in New Zealand?:ph34r:

:lol: good point ! 

Mid century state house

Only one plug in the bedroom and id have to pull the bed out to reach it 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BruceHistory said:

Fantastic record (B+/A-) It’s not gonna reach "Masterpiece” for me because I have issues with too many songs. However, for the eight songs I do like - I REALLY love them!! So, I think we all have some new classics on our hands that we’ll be excited to hear live over and over again. 

Fascinating. I have a pretty much exact overall reaction to the whole album, but about a different selection of songs. One reason I love Bruce fandom. For one, I love the use of "One Minute" as the opener specifically because it's such an unusual choice. I was frankly struggling to really get into "Letter to You" and "Ghosts" when they first appeared, but in the album as a whole, I like them a whole lot more. This album is a real ALBUM and works well as a whole (though I agree that "Rainmaker," though I think I like it a lot better than you do, is out of place).

For me, standouts are "One Minute," "Burnin'," "Janey," and the entire last half of the album (except "House"). But I really love parts of every song.

Something else that stands out for me is how different the singles sound as part of the album. In particular I’m hearing the title track in a different light. Love it.

Someone earlier called it a great companion piece to Western Stars and I think that’s a really nice view. Musically they’re so different but have that same feeling about them somehow. The same tone and empathy. 

• Like 2

Streamed it today; good album overall.

Janey Needs A Shooter is the best for me, and House Of A Thousand Guitars the worst.

It really loses momentum starting with The Power Of Prayer; I find it best to skip after Last Man Standing To If I Was The Priest; just listen to the good songs.