The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

2 hours ago, ncsprngstn said:

From "Land of a Thousand Guitars"'

Now that's a shot.....

The criminal clown has stolen the throne
He steals what he can never own
May the truth ring out from every small town bar
We'll light up the house of a thousand guitars

WHAT A SoNG! This one touched me immediately in my soul. I just keep it on repeat. And again it spins...

The lines above make me think about certain politicans in a many countries. But how jubilant the wrinting and the melody rises above actual circumstances. Such a joy to listen!

Funny enough, many reviewers seem to like this song less...

• Like 1
  • Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I like the most about this album is that there is something for everyone on it. Depending on what era you prefer, what style of song you prefer, whether you like acoustic Bruce, rock Bruce, pop B

Received from a friend by WhatsApp 

The wife was out with friends last night, so as I was cooking and eating dinner. Listened to the album, after dinner Moma still wasn't home so I watched the movie again. I can honestly say I have neve

Posted Images

Wow, just wow. What an album this is. Another masterpiece. Listened to the HD version once through at lunchtime. They are all brilliant, but this new version of If I Was The Priest is just off the scale sublime. Ridiculously epic. 

So looking forward to sipping beers tonight during my second and third straight run throughs. Bruuuuce! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
9 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

if and its a big IF Western stars was a masterpice this should replace  the Mona Lisa in the Louvre

No. It’s simply a fantastic album in a completely different way. And this should be no surprise for a Springsteen fan.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong y'all, but I have already listened to it enough, and will not be listening to it anymore (along with any other music for the foreseeable future :().

It may be possible to love the music too much. So much so, that the Lake and music has been interfering and for someone that has shitty focus it hurts.

One day soon LtY will get another listen from me :)

2 hours ago, ncsprngstn said:

I want all future ESB albums recorded live like this one.....agree its the best sounding band album in years....

It's the way Steven always wanted the band to be recorded. Landau and Bruce were far too studious to allow that.

So, maybe, this is the record that Steven always wanted to make.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 4

What is very interesting is that the producer Ron Aleoli has virtually no contribution to this film. Whatsoever. In image only.  

I'm thinking that he's toast.

2 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

What is very interesting is that the producer Ron Aleoli has virtually no contribution to this film. Whatsoever. In image only.  

I'm thinking that he's toast.

I mean, I think Ron's fb page says otherwise, he seems to like the LtY film, maybe he has a beef with Thom?

6 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I enjoyed the film very much

I felt kinda warm and fuzzy seeing them all together and i look forward to a world where it is going to be safe to hug each other again

With the exception of Jon i thought everyone looked in good health

I don't care how old Bruce is he still looks hot 

My favourite part of the movie was the end where he was talking over all that gorgouse snow and also Baby I

I think the old songs fit right in

Ive havn't listened to any of them for quite a few years 

And i think we have not seen the end of the ESB just yet

Bruce still has some worlds left that he hasn't used yet from the English language 

Why all the coats - i hate winter clothes

Why not just turn the heat up 

Maybe part of the reason Jon has been inducted to HoF, and the album is being put out when it is?

For a man that is 71, the magic is still there.  You can tell that "Janey Needs A Shooter" was written in the 70s.  It has that raw power from a man 40 plus years younger.  It hits you like a freight train.  "Letter to You" is the staple for me.  It sums up nicely how he feels about the band and his fans.  It's like the greatest gift to give at a time we need it.  I wish people could just take a moment, separate politics and music and enjoy musicians and songwriters for the gift they have and give to us.  This album was just what I needed, a smile.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, zzcoolness said:

I mean, I think Ron's fb page says otherwise, he seems to like the LtY film, maybe he has a beef with Thom?

Well, I think we shouldn't take what's on the documentary as everything that happened in those five days. 

I mean, the album and the documentary are a celebration of the E Street Band. The sound is the unfiltered sound of the band arranging themselves, finally brought into a recording studio. The "virtual" album producer is the E Street Band rather than Aniello, Landau or even Springsteen himself. 

And the documentary focuses exactly on that: the band members discussing arrangements and playing their way, the video footage (and the songs) from a long forgotten past, the tribute to the person who made Bruce a band-member, and even to the cousin who taught him his first chords. 

In such a narrative, the screen time for Bruce's 2010s producer would've been extremely limited even if he had planned and decided everything about Letter to You.  

22 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

maybe its just me but the film seemed to have better sound than the cd through same sound system

I'd put that down to the film using different mixes. Things like the handclaps in Ghosts and backing vocals throughout (particularly Patti) were much more audible - seemingly to compliment the on-screen footage.

I mean, Zimny has got to justify all those clips of Patti's endless waving of her hands while she performs her parts, right?

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

It's the way Steven always wanted the band to be recorded. Landau and Bruce were far too studious to allow that.

Maybe Miami will have more of a say in the setlists this time. Assuming there is a this time of course.

46 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Well, you're certainly right, LTY has the spontaneous and traditional rock sound Steve has always pushed for.  

And even in his own production, we see how traditionalist Steve has always been. His latest 'Summer Of Sorcery' sounds as if it might have been recorded in the late fifties/early sixties.

This was not an approach a major artist like Springsteen could have followed. However, after having gone as far as possible from the E Street sound with both the Broadway show and WS, Bruce's probably realized that this is right time (and God-forbid the last possible time) to go as E Street as possible.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BruceHistory said:

Fantastic record (B+/A-) It’s not gonna reach "Masterpiece” for me because I have issues with too many songs. However, for the eight songs I do like - I REALLY love them!! So, I think we all have some new classics on our hands that we’ll be excited to hear live over and over again. 

Issues:

1) While I like "One Minute You’re Here", it shouldn’t be opening an album. 

2) Burin Train - lousy tune.

3) "Janey” - Been listening to this for years but he over sings it here, especially on that last verse. 

4) “Rainmaker" - I don’t think I can recall a song this out of place musically (on a new album) since "Real Man”! It sounds like a distorted version of "American Beauty”. If anything, this deserves to be either a b-side or something to throw on the next "Tracks".

Every other song on the album just blows me away!! This is the way they should have been making music all along this Century. Also, Jake’s solos are terrific!! I’m so happy he included the horn for this album because that’s really the backbone of their sound ... I also think he’s using one of his Uncles actual instruments as well ?!?!

"Priest”; "Last Man”; "Power" & "Orphans" are all instant classics!

Great album! Congrats to the crew ..

Brad

'Burnin' Train', lousy tune? Really? Opinions tho eh?

Man, that intro!! It stuns me that this band, this guy can do this to me after all these years. Would be a dream to hear it live. Pure rock! 

'Ghosts'...instant classic.

'I'll See You in my Dreams' an emotional rollercoaster. 

A brilliant record. Best in years.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Nick21 said:

I'd put that down to the film using different mixes. Things like the handclaps in Ghosts and backing vocals throughout (particularly Patti) were much more audible - seemingly to compliment the on-screen footage.

I mean, Zimny has got to justify all those clips of Patti's endless waving of her hands while she performs her parts, right?

Agree, it was only 5 days of actual recording who knows how many takes he was able to get or the time frame he had.

1 minute ago, Sean McNeill said:

'Burnin' Train', lousy tune? Really? Opinions tho eh?

Man, that intro!! It stuns me that this band, this guy can do this to me after all these years. Would be a dream to hear it live. Pure rock! 

'Ghosts'...instant classic.

'I'll See You in my Dreams' an emotional rollercoaster. 

A brilliant record. Best in years.

Burin' Train had me reminded of LWH Live intro

2 minutes ago, E Street nation said:

Hi all

Listened 3 times to the album and wow it's superb the band is in great form and the old songs sound great, personal faves janey and rainmaker 

Best band album since magic 

Welcome ESN!