Greasy Lake Community

The Official Letter to You album and documentary thread

Its so interesting to read the opinions of my fellow Bruce superfans because theyre all so varied! Overall as I have just about everything he's made, I love the entire album. Some songs may take a few more listens for me to come around to (Power of Prayer almost sounds like the song that preceded it--Last Man Standing) But some here love that 1...yet I happen to dig House of a Thousand Guitars yet many others rank this among the weakest on the album. Of the 'new' stuff Burnin Train, Ghosts, Ill See You In My Dreams all fantastic...of the older stuff, Ive never loved If I was the Priest & Song for Orphans as much as I do now with these polished versions..and the writing style from the Greetings era, love it. Looking forward to the documentary tonight but according to many of you, Ill need to put my sunglasses on during the Ill See You In My Dreams part! enjoy the new album everyone, we're all very lucky indeed!

• Like 2
  • Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I like the most about this album is that there is something for everyone on it. Depending on what era you prefer, what style of song you prefer, whether you like acoustic Bruce, rock Bruce, pop B

Received from a friend by WhatsApp 

The wife was out with friends last night, so as I was cooking and eating dinner. Listened to the album, after dinner Moma still wasn't home so I watched the movie again. I can honestly say I have neve

Posted Images

I know it's been mentioned elsewhere, but it's worth repeating. The lyric sheet names Ben E King as Benny King. Come on now, who proof reads this stuff?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, Frank said:

Well, you're certainly right, LTY has the spontaneous and traditional rock sound Steve has always pushed for.  

And even in his own production, we see how traditionalist Steve has always been. His latest 'Summer Of Sorcery' sounds as if it might have been recorded in the late fifties/early sixties.

This was not an approach a major artist like Springsteen could have followed. However, after having gone as far as possible from the E Street sound with both the Broadway show and WS, Bruce's probably realized that this is right time (and God-forbid the last possible time) to go as E Street as possible.  

This

Nice

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Somewhere in one of the other thirty threads!

Aw, only thirty?  Would have been  double if the rebellious rebels hadn't revelled in the idea of rebellion.

• Sad 1
15 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

I know it's been mentioned elsewhere, but it's worth repeating. The lyric sheet names Ben E King as Benny King. Come on now, who proof reads this stuff?

pug_in_glasses_postcard-r5f3ab2c300cf472db7138ba56be537bc_vgbaq_8byvr_540.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
41 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Not ready to make that call yet. I really do love Magic .....But time will tell.

Magic still tops for me in the modern era..though I do find myself liking Western Stars more & more..

• Like 1

First listen; I remember reading that Living Proof was inspired by Dylan's Series of Dreams, but thinking it sounded nothing like it. The drum beat, chord progression, of Burning Train does however, and it sounds great. Song for the Orphans manages to transcend Bruce's overly wordy 1973 writing style, and although I have no idea what the lyrics mean, they are very moving nonetheless.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

First listen; I remember reading that Living Proof was inspired by Dylan's Series of Dreams, but thinking it sounded nothing like it. The drum beat, chord progression, of Burning Train does however, and it sounds great. Song for the Orphans manages to transcend Bruce's overly wordy 1973 writing style, and although I have no idea what the lyrics mean, they are very moving nonetheless.

As I said in another thread, the album could have been called The E Street Thunder Revue or, alternatively, The ghost of Bob Dylan. Along with George Theiss and the E Streetters themselves, Bob is the life-long inspiration the album pays tribute to.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
2 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Shit, then I am definitely holding on to the CD copy and booklet.

Misprints are worth money

2 minutes ago, lilbud said:

Shit, then I am definitely holding on to the CD copy and booklet.

Misprints are worth money

I must have a mis-pressing as the CD doesn't have any of the lyrics reported in the alleged review from a Zoom listening party.

• Haha 1
35 minutes ago, cabbyian said:

So how do I get the movie without having to take a bite from the apple........

just askin....

Sign up for the weeks free trial, then make sure you cancel. Believe me, it's worth a watch

35 minutes ago, cabbyian said:

So how do I get the movie without having to take a bite from the apple........

just askin....

If all is true Apple TV+ has a free trial going on, so you watch for free, just make sure you cancel after the trial or you'll get hit with a full fee next month. 

I can wait for the film to come out on dvd etc.  The album stands on its own and, like the other records, doesn't need a movie.

• Like 1