Greasy Lake Community

Bruce’s Sequels

I think a lot of western stars songs are sequels.  The one that stands out the most is Chasing Wild horses being a sequel to highway patrolman; following frankies brother after he slipped away from him on that fateful night.

Guess it was somethin' I shouldn't have done
Guess I regret it now
Ever since I was a kid
Tryin' to keep my temper down is like
Chasin' wild horses, chasin' wild horses
Chasin' wild horses

Left my home, left my friends
I didn't say goodbye
I contract out to the BLM
Up on the Montana line
Chasin' wild horses, chasin' wild horses

• Like 4

I never thought of 'Moonlight Motel' as a sequel to 'Thunder Road' and 'The Promise', I don't quite see how it connects.

Anyway, I know they're on the same album, one after the other, but I always saw 'Two Faces' as a precursor to 'Brilliant Disguise', that one led directly into the other, story-wise.

Also 'Shut Out The Light' - 'Born In The U.S.A' - 'Brothers Under The Bridge'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Magic Rat said:

I think a lot of western stars songs are sequels.  The one that stands out the most is Chasing Wild horses being a sequel to highway patrolman; following frankies brother after he slipped away from him on that fateful night.

I thought Chasing Wild Horses was a sequel to Pony Boy 

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, Beautiful Loser said:

I never thought of 'Moonlight Motel' as a sequel to 'Thunder Road' and 'The Promise', I don't quite see how it connects.

Thunder Road is the guy convincing the girl to take his hand and ride those two lanes.

The Promise is a few years later when the illusion of young love slips away and they realize how difficult life is. He even laments for the days when their lives were Thunder Road, nice and easy with no worries

Moonlight Motel is once again the same couple, describing their life after they figure it out and grow old together. They have gotten married and start a family, but go away to the titular motel to emulate how their lives were before kids and have a taste of the old life. But that is only a temporary escape. Eventually the woman dies and the husband makes one last trip to the motel, now dilapidated and run down, indicating the passage of time. Sitting in the parking lot downing a shot of jack and pouring one out not just for his lost love, but to the days when their love was young and they were both just innocent and free.

• Like 6

The "Chasin' Wild Horses" intro from the Western Stars movie says: "In the past, putting yourself on the line, putting your heart on the line, has bred nothing but pain and failure, so you run. I've done a lot of that kind of running. You lose control of your desires, your appetites, your temper, and you reap what you sow. You run until you've left everything that you've loved and loves you behind."

With that leading into the song, it jumps out to me as a very emotional and powerful sequel to "Born to Run."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

The "Chasin' Wild Horses" intro from the Western Stars movie says: "In the past, putting yourself on the line, putting your heart on the line, has bred nothing but pain and failure, so you run. I've done a lot of that kind of running. You lose control of your desires, your appetites, your temper, and you reap what you sow. You run until you've left everything that you've loved and loves you behind."

With that leading into the song, it jumps out to me as a very emotional and powerful sequel to "Born to Run."

He is talking about marital infidelity with that I assume?

I can’t listen to that song without laughing at the missing “h” in horses but you make a pretty good link. 

• Like 1

Incident On 57th Street and Jungleland (and of course also Meeting Across The River and Jungleland).

As was mentioned on this forum before: Spare Parts-War-BUSA -as played in 1988- the son of Bobby and Janey goes to war and comes home in BUSA (and then Shut Out The Light and Brothers Under The Bridge).

4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) and Jersey Girl (like Bruce said: 'he got that Jersey Girl!').

• Like 2

Brothers Under the Bridges - Brothers Under the Bridge

1. Well me and my brother'd hitched a ride in Joey's pickup to the edge of town
And we watched from the tall grass as the challenges were made and the duels went down
We'd hitchhike back home, sneak in, get in bed before our mom'd come
And we'd lay there in the night talkin' about how we might someday be one
Yeah someday run with the brothers under the bridges

Well now I hear a cry in the distance and the sound of marching feet come and gone
Well I'm stittin' down here by this highway figuring, figuring just where I belong

2. Campsite's an hour's walk from the nearest road to town
Up here there's too much brush and canyon
For the CHP choppers to touch down
Ain't lookin' for nothin', just wanna live
Me and the brothers under the bridge

• Like 3

Another type of connection is the one I hear between Patti's "Loves Glory" and Bruce's "This depression" (although many years apart):

Patti:
Oh, if I could, I'd play out my part
I'd cup my hands and
I'd collect the rain that falls inside your heart

But I can't stop the rain
I can't hold back the thunder
Oh but I can make one vow
And promise you my heart right now

Bruce:
Baby, I've been down
But never this down
I’ve been lost