Greasy Lake Community

Bruce on cover of Uncut - and First Review?

54 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I don’t think he can hit the bar he set unless he does it solo. 

But he set the bar for that very high too with the 2005 tour. (Again, different for those who never saw the solo tours and seeing a solo show is on top of their bucket list).

Could be different -maybe- for a solo show more focused on the new album than the 2005 tour was; or a semi-acoustic show with a small band (ESB-light or other musicians). Maybe a tour with (semi) acoustic first half and playing electric second half. At least something different. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 8:52 AM, Growin' Up said:

Just arrived this morning. 

Reviewer gave it 9/10

IMG_5351.thumb.jpeg.3c24a68d6b3ecfae7495aa924f53d1ca.jpeg

Cheesy peeps its the December issue? I was watching this and must have overslept!

Merry Christmas everyone.  Are the pubs open yet?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Lampi said:

A VERY UNPOPULAR OPINION WARNING:

Personally I would not mind if Bruce never tours again and instead spends the time that is left to make new albums, with or without the ESB, with or without other musicians, or indeed solo. Fear of Bruce & The ESB being a caricature of theirselves, making a joke of theirselves, on what is expected now really to be the last ESB tour (even if that was previously said about every ESB tour in the Reunion Era), is also a reason for that.

I also realize that is -of course- very different for those who feel they did not see enough shows yet, or only one show, or no show at all; and for @Daisey Jeep who wants her Prove It All Night 1978 and REAL LONG Kitty. (Edit: and maybe Daisey wants this too!:): '' For the second encore he played "Raise Your Hand" and an extremely high energy "Quarter To Three" that ended with Bruce standing on Roy's piano and ripping his shirt off before leaping off and dancing off stage as Miami Steve directed the band to the finish'".)

Joke? Caricature?  I don't understand what you mean.

What I want from a live show is to hear the songs played.  I don't need people jumping off pianos or doing acrobatics on stage.   We can do the dancing ourselves.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lampi said:

This indeed. What puzzles me it is supposed to be either ESB or 'solo acoustic'; like there was never Seeger, 1992-1993 and Western Stars. Tunnel and Wrecking Ball are not 'real' ESB albums; Joad and -especially- Devils & Dust are not 'real' solo album like Nebraska was.

Personally I would not mind if Bruce never tours again and instead spends the time that is left to make new albums, with or without the ESB, with or without other musicians, or indeed solo. Fear of Bruce & The ESB being a caricature of theirselves, making a joke of theirselves, on what is expected now really to be the last ESB tour (even if that was previously said about every ESB tour in the Reunion Era), is also a reason for that.

I also realize that is -of course- very different for those who feel they did not see enough shows yet, or only one show, or no show at all; and for @Daisey Jeep who wants her Prove It All Night 1978 and REAL LONG Kitty. (Edit: and maybe Daisey wants this too!:): '' For the second encore he played "Raise Your Hand" and an extremely high energy "Quarter To Three" that ended with Bruce standing on Roy's piano and ripping his shirt off before leaping off and dancing off stage as Miami Steve directed the band to the finish'".)

Completely agree with this and from what i have heard so far the new album feels like a caricature album, which is a shame after the beautifully crafted (and It was clear that it was really crafted) western stars album. If it is a signing off ESB album it would have been nice if it was a well crafted one.

I also agree on the new music front. We are constantly hearing that Springsteen is in the studio. Just release the damn stuff like other artists do as EPs on spotify. Be experimental, create and release what you like.

I always thought that Springsteen had one last masterpiece in him. It may have been western stars but I have always felt it would be a stripped back acoustic album (similar to Cash's final releases). Lord knows there is plenty in the world for him to observe and critique at the moment. In fact, this new album feels like it could be contextually misplaced like  working on a dream... which was then followed up with Wrecking ball which was more context appropriate but probably too late.

13 hours ago, Lampi said:

This indeed. What puzzles me it is supposed to be either ESB or 'solo acoustic'; like there was never Seeger, 1992-1993 and Western Stars. Tunnel and Wrecking Ball are not 'real' ESB albums; Joad and -especially- Devils & Dust are not 'real' solo album like Nebraska was.

Sometimes you gotta look at your half drunk cool aid as being a glass half full 

We are getting a new album and a band album at that at a time when just about everything about our world has been turned upside down

Its time to be thankful for what we have when so many people have lost their actual lives

And many many peope have lost their jobs 

Sometimes too much thinking is not a good thing 

Just live in the moment and be happy

I have no idea what a caricature is and im not wasting any time googerling it !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Sometimes you gotta look at your half drunk cool aid as being a glass half full 

We are getting a new album and a band album at that at a time when just about everything about our world has been turned upside down

Its time to be thankful for what we have when so many people have lost their actual lives

And many many peope have lost their jobs 

Sometimes too much thinking is not a good thing 

Just live in the moment and be happy

I have no idea what a caricature is and im not wasting any time googerling it !

A caricature is my father apparently... .my mother would always say he had become a caricature of himself:lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The_Magic Rat said:

I always thought that Springsteen had one last masterpiece in him. It may have been western stars but I have always felt it would be a stripped back acoustic album (similar to Cash's final releases). 

Why should it be a 'masterpiece'?

Cash' situation was different, more of a come-back after his career had been in decline for many years and even no recording contract. The reason The Wanderer was on U2's Zooropa album was Cash could not put the song on an album of his own because he did not have a record contract at the time. So U2 decided to put the song on their own album instead.

Bruce holding his guitar above his head at the end of the show in Nijmegen 2013 and screaming 'I am just a prisoner of rock and roll!!!!!'  comes close to self-caricature.

Maybe this explains a bit what I meant; and what is only an opinion, not a fact.

I have approached every E Street tour for many years as being (possibly) the last time I would see them all together on stage. One day it will be and I'm fine with that, I have had lots of bonus shows to what I expected. Certainly after 1989 none of us knew whether E Street would reunite. I've been watching the Stones' Steel Wheels tour DVD recently from 1989 and the accompanying book emphasises that back in 1989 people were wondering if rock stars could still go on touring when they were into their 40s and seemingly ancient. No one was expecting them then to still be now doing it in their 70s. 

4 hours ago, The_Magic Rat said:

Completely agree with this and from what i have heard so far the new album feels like a caricature album, which is a shame after the beautifully crafted (and It was clear that it was really crafted) western stars album. If it is a signing off ESB album it would have been nice if it was a well crafted one.

I also agree on the new music front. We are constantly hearing that Springsteen is in the studio. Just release the damn stuff like other artists do as EPs on spotify. Be experimental, create and release what you like.

I always thought that Springsteen had one last masterpiece in him. It may have been western stars but I have always felt it would be a stripped back acoustic album (similar to Cash's final releases). Lord knows there is plenty in the world for him to observe and critique at the moment. In fact, this new album feels like it could be contextually misplaced like  working on a dream... which was then followed up with Wrecking ball which was more context appropriate but probably too late.

Every Springsteen album is pretty carefully “crafted”. Some to the point that they are legendary (Born to Run, Darkness) works. The last one was crafted for 8 years and is by far the biggest miss of his career. At the same time that you want him to “just release stuff like other artists” he is about to put out an album that he recorded in 4 or 5 days which isabout as close to “just releasing stuff” as I think he can get. If Letter to You is a caricature of himself I’ll take it as trying sound like Bruce Springsteen will be a massive leap over trying to sound like Glenn Campbell from 40 years ago.

As for the Johnny Cash late career sound, I love it. And I think Springsteen could pull off the same type of thing. The reason I love the American Recordings stuff from Cash was because it had a certain authenticity to it. It sounds like you think this new album will be lacking that and that is exactly how I feel about Western Stars. 

49 minutes ago, Old English Town said:

I have approached every E Street tour for many years as being (possibly) the last time I would see them all together on stage. One day it will be and I'm fine with that, I have had lots of bonus shows to what I expected. Certainly after 1989 none of us knew whether E Street would reunite. I've been watching the Stones' Steel Wheels tour DVD recently from 1989 and the accompanying book emphasises that back in 1989 people were wondering if rock stars could still go on touring when they were into their 40s and seemingly ancient. No one was expecting them then to still be now doing it in their 70s. 

I left the River revisited shows feeling, for the first time, something was missing.

They we’re still great fun and had some great moments but they it definitely felt like a step down. 

He still does it better than most but it will only get harder to deliver unless the live show changes to accept they’re getting older. 

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

I left the River revisited shows feeling, for the first time, something was missing.

They we’re still great fun and had some great moments but they it definitely felt like a step down. 

He still does it better than most but it will only get harder to deliver unless the live show changes to accept they’re getting older. 

I am sure if and when Bruce and the ESB play/tour again (probably 2022) for no doubt the last time, we will see a different kind of show for the reasons you have given. It will definitely be shorter, and I think there will be more songs with Bruce solo at the piano. There will still be an intensity for the time they are onstage, and we will still get the crowd pleasers like Born to Run, Badlands, The Promised Land, Dancing in the Dark etc, but I also think we will get songs which are less taxing on his voice.

It's his voice which is for me the most concerning thing regarding any potential new ESB tour. It is still great for his age, but it is definitely not up the demands of a big tour any more. He doesn't have the vocal power he once had, and any future live material would have to take that into account.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

I am sure if and when Brice and the ESB play/tour again (probably 2022) for no doubt the last time, we will see a different kind of show for the reasons you have given. It will definitely be shorter, and I think there will be more songs with Bruce solo at the piano. There will still be an intensity for the time they are onstage, and we will still get the crowd pleasers like Born to Run, Badlands, The Promised Land, Dancing in the Dark etc, but I also think we will get songs which are less taxing on his voice.

It's his voice which is for me the most concerning thing regarding any potential new ESB tour. It is still great for his age, but it is definitely not up the demands of a big tour any more. He doesn't have the vocal power he once had, and any future live material would have to take that into account.

Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if Badlands gets less playtime.

12 hours ago, The_Magic Rat said:

Good man. Dismiss this album before you have heard it. #eejit

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lampi said:

Bruce holding his guitar above his head at the end of the show in Nijmegen 2013 and screaming 'I am just a prisoner of rock and roll!!!!!'  comes close to self-caricature.

Maybe this explains a bit what I meant; and what is only an opinion, not a fact.

Bullshit post alert. 

12 hours ago, The_Magic Rat said:

Good man. Dismiss this album before you have heard it. #eejit

• Like 1

Hi there!

I’m the editor of Uncut.

I’m very pleased that our cover story and review has been so well received on this board.  For the record, yes — that is THE Richard Williams.

I’d be grateful though if the article and review weren’t posted here, please.  This is our livelihood (it’s also our copyright!). We depend on people buying it so we can pay our writers — without that this wouldn’t exist.

The issue goes on sale in the UK this Thursday, though you can buy a copy from our online shop (free P&P, too) here: https://magazines.bandlabtechnologies.com/store/products,issue-283-december-2020_264.htm

Thanks for your understanding!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Michael_Bonner said:

Hi there!

I’m the editor of Uncut.

I’m very pleased that our cover story and review has been so well received on this board.  For the record, yes — that is THE Richard Williams.

I’d be grateful though if the article and review weren’t posted here, please.  This is our livelihood (it’s also our copyright!). We depend on people buying it so we can pay our writers — without that this wouldn’t exist.

The issue goes on sale in the UK this Thursday, though you can buy a copy from our online shop (free P&P, too) here: https://magazines.bandlabtechnologies.com/store/products,issue-283-december-2020_264.htm

Fair enough :)

Ill buy your magazine when it gets to NZ in about 3 months 

I have enjoyed all the editions i have brought (when Bruce is featured)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Michael_Bonner said:

Hi there!

I’m the editor of Uncut.

I would still buy it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I listened to the album a couple of times today.  Overall it's a lovely record.  Very commercial, lots of hooks and melodies.  Not a loud record, and Bob Clearmountain's mix allows the whole band to be heard.  They're not trying to reinvent the wheel here. It is indeed an E Street Band record in sound and texture, with echoes of The River album, Magic and even Human Touch.  For anyone interested, he reveals itself thus,

POWER OF PRAYER - Very poppy.  Gorgeous sax and piano outro.  Reminds me of Save My Love.

I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS - Lovely piano/organ axis like days  of yore.  Max gives it some serious wellie.  Roy!!

BURNIN' TRAIN - Medium paced rocker.  Could be a Magic outtake by its sound.  Guitar solo sounds like the solo from I Wish I Were Blind.  Again, MAX!!

IF I WERE THE PRIEST - Virtually same lyrics from the original version, a little editing here and there.  Slow intro, band kick in with force.  Woohoo.  CHARLIE !!  Great update from a long slow acoustic song.  Gorgeous group 'choir' at the end,stunning. Lovely harp outro into what sounds like a Steven guitar solo.

JANEY NEEDS A SHOOTER - Kick ass snare and organ intro.  Harp solo. Was hoping for a heavier version, but this is great.  Charlie shines again.  Lyrics pretty much the same from eons ago.

HOUSE OF A THOUSAND GUITARS - Not the crashing rocker that I thought it might be.  A medium paced trip down memory lane. "It's alright, it's alright" Lovely band 'choir'.  Potential as the third single.

LETTER TO YOU - you already know.

RAINMAKER - Quiet narrative verses slam into gig shouty chorus.  Sounds like a violin in the right channel, so maybe Soozie is on the record.  Angry words, rocks very nicely.

GHOSTS - you already know. 

LAST MAN STANDING - As we know, this is the story of George and the Castiles.  Very moving, beautifully observed.  Beautiful guitar melody a la Duane Eddy.  Might be my favourite track.

ONE MINUTE YOU'RE HERE - Sounds like a first cousin to Brothers Under The Bridges (the slow one).  Bruce sings it in the same voice he employed on the GOTJ album.  Very serene track marred by an abrupt ending, which may be the whole point.

SONGS FOR ORPHANS -  Harp intro into a louder version of the song that we already know.  Could be a Dylan song.  Pedal steel from Nils. If Bruce's voice was stronger he could have given this a really good seeing to.  He tries, but he doesn't the voice for it nowadays.  Great upgrade of the song, though.  Again, no real change in the lyrics from the slow version we already know.

And that's it folks.  They're back.  A wholly pleasing album.  A worthy addition to his catalogue. No great surprises.  But it's so great to hear that classic E Street Sound of piano/organ/crashing drums and a splash of sax here and there.  I presume Patti is on there but I couldn't make out a noticeable contribution.

• Like 3