Greasy Lake Community

I despise Trump, but it's disappointing to me that Bruce would allow a song as important as this to be co-opted. It's forever known for other reasons, to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

You know what? If Covid doesn't hit, that video would be about useless. Because everything that video blames Trump for only happened because of Covid. 

im not even going to watch it

or try to watch it

but im happy Bruce is free to express his opinion, like we all should be able to

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

You know what? If Covid doesn't hit, that video would be about useless. Because everything that video blames Trump for only happened because of Covid. 

Did you watch the video? You’re mistaken. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

So calling vets ‘suckers’ and ‘losers’ happened because of COVID?

The trade war with China occurred because of COVID?

Go take your bad takes somewhere else.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Covid did hit, though.

Yes it did, so is it Trumps fault that all these states shut down and all these jobs were lost. Before Covid we had record low unemployment.   

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, MadamMarie said:

Did you watch the video? You’re mistaken. 

Yes I did watch that liberal propaganda. I'm only mistaken by not believing it all. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tim1218 said:

So calling vets ‘suckers’ and ‘losers’ happened because of COVID?

The trade war with China occurred because of COVID?

Go take your bad takes somewhere else.

Where should I go? 

I'm totally against tariffs. But what was in that propaganda video about the pork producer seems a bit overboard, as Missouri and Illinois farmers are doing fairly well.

9 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Where should I go? 

I'm totally against tariffs. But what was in that propaganda video about the pork producer seems a bit overboard, as Missouri and Illinois farmers are doing fairly well.

Is it not obvious to you that this ad is specifically targeted to Pennsylvania? PA is a crucial swing state. This ad is running solely in PA, eastern NJ, northern MD & the panhandle of WV. If the trend follows the last 4 elections, MO is red, IL is blue. Why use resources on states where you can already estimate how the vote will go? 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, JustDan said:

Is it not obvious to you that this ad is specifically targeted to Pennsylvania? PA is a crucial swing state. This ad is running solely in PA, but also being shown in western NJ, northern MD & the panhandle of WV. If the trend follows the last 4 elections, MO is red, IL is blue. Why use resources on states where you can already estimate how the vote will go? 

As for where you should go? Well, you have the power. That's the beautiful thing about democracy.

That's an extremely powerful ad, and as well as Bruce's lyrics applied to the AIDS crisis, they apply to other ways in which people are left to waste away.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

James Carville ('Democrat strategist')once said about PA politics: "Between Paoli and Penn Hills, Pennsylvania is Alabama without the blacks."  This video tries to address all three areas of PA in detail and is therefore unfocused.  (Paoli is near Philadelphia and Penn Hills is near Pittsburgh.)

3 hours ago, JustDan said:

Is it not obvious to you that this ad is specifically targeted to Pennsylvania? PA is a crucial swing state. This ad is running solely in PA, eastern NJ, northern MD & the panhandle of WV. If the trend follows the last 4 elections, MO is red, IL is blue. Why use resources on states where you can already estimate how the vote will go? 

Thank you for making my point. 

2 hours ago, misadventure said:

That's an extremely powerful ad, and as well as Bruce's lyrics applied to the AIDS crisis, they apply to other ways in which people are left to waste away.  

Hello Mis, glad to see you hear and there. 

• Like 1

There is no doubt that Street Of Philadelphia is connected to the movie for which it was written, and hence to AIDS as well as to civil rights issues. However - and trying to leave politics aside for a second - the song has always sounded universal. And this has probably been the main reason of its success. It could refer to any person struggling, being ill, or/and feeling forsaken (especially in Pennsylvania). This is even more true a quarter of century after the song's original release. 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Frank said:

It could refer to any person struggling, being ill, or/and feeling forsaken (especially in Pennsylvania).

I agree with your statement as a whole. But why "especially in Pennsylvania"? Isn't there people in California, Texas, Alabama and New York in the same boat? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Hello Mis, glad to see you hear and there. 

Thanks, Jimmy.  I suspect I'll be around more now that we're awaiting a new album!

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2
42 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I agree with your statement as a whole. But why "especially in Pennsylvania"? Isn't there people in California, Texas, Alabama and New York in the same boat? 

Well, indeed. I added "especially in Pennsylvania" only because of the city in the title. I can perfectly make "Streets of Philadelphia" mine here in Geneva, Switzerland, but if I were actually walking in Pennsylvania it would be easier, I guess.  

• Like 2