Greasy Lake Community

im sorry this is ridiculous - Bruce says he'll move to 'Oz if ..

46 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

Fine by me.  If the past four years is any indicator of Bruce’s current creative output, we wouldn't be missing much.

Why would you be missing anything? 

• Like 2

The power of the American dream has been abandoned, he says. That was where I stopped reading. It’s such nonsense. The citizens roll through everyday in pursuit of their dream. The president doesn’t create it or stop it from occurring. He’s just throwing out party line hyperbolic rhetoric and it’s embarrassing to read from such an insightful, thoughtful man who has written countless songs about the gray areas of life. In politics now he is black or white and that doesn’t work for me.

• Like 8

He can join his buddy Jon Stewart and Streisand (who also vowed to move from the US in 2016 if Trump won) also and enjoy life without the liberty and freedom he has accumulated on the backs of the working class he will leave behind. No worry, none of these empty "boo hoo, the other guy won, I am moving" threats ever happen. Life is too good and comfortable for these extremely wealthy people, when you have tons of money and plenty of time to comment on those you think need saving from their own independent thought and political choices. (like supporting anything other than Democratic causes)

It's too easy to say things like that and not take action, throw away lines- just mouthing the political machine he follows and supports. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rizla said:

Why would you be missing anything? 

He's angry because an artist who's music he (for the most part) admires doesn't hold the same political beliefs he does. Hence, the snide response, as is the case with all the belittling responses here. It's fairly easy to deduce, no?

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, StolenCar66 said:

He can join his buddy Jon Stewart and Streisand (who also vowed to move from the US in 2016 if Trump won) also and enjoy life without the liberty and freedom he has accumulated on the backs of the working class he will leave behind.

How has he "accumulated his wealth" on the backs of working class Americans? Did he force them to buy his records? Did he force them to buy tickets to multiple shows? Did Mr. Springsteen in any way dictate how others should earn or spend their money?

People will expound such nonsense just to jab someone who doesn't subscribe to the same political views as they do... :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

I mean seriously, the power of the American dream has been abandoned? If so, it’s been abandoned by him because everyday I see my family and everybody I know living it. My life (which is by no means a life of luxury) hasn’t changed in any noticeable way no matter who has been in office over the last 20 years. My dreams and realities don’t ebb and flow depending upon who is in the White House. 

22 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Has everyone lost the ability, and the will, to actually read??!!

In a "virtual press conference" including folks from Australia, literally on the other side of the world from the US, Bruce "JOKED" about leaving for Australia if Trump wins. 

What part of "JOKED" escaped you?

Was the abandonment of the American dream a joke? If that was joking around I will apologize for misreading his intent. Otherwise, I will stand by what I’ve said. 

6 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

you know we can't  talk politics but Bruce sbould look into some of Australia's policies regarding rights of non- citizens 

https://tonedeaf.thebrag.com/bruce-springsteen-if-trump-wins-im-moving-to-australia/

You took this seriously Daisey? This entire piece was in jest.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Has everyone lost the ability, and the will, to actually read??!!

In a "virtual press conference" including folks from Australia, literally on the other side of the world from the US, Bruce "JOKED" about leaving for Australia if Trump wins. 

What part of "JOKED" escaped you?

I blame it on Daisey then :D, she should have put "JOKED" in here sentence, as I didn't read the article. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy James said:

I blame it on Daisey then :D, she should have put "JOKED" in here sentence, as I didn't read the article. 

Why would you pretend to comment seriously on ANYTHING without reading it? This behavior of "Ready, Fire, Aim", and never getting to "Aim", aka actually knowing something about what you're writing about, has to stop. People hop on various social media and amplify it without doing any checking, reading, understanding, or thinking. STOP IT!

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Just now, JimCT said:

Why would you pretend to comment seriously on ANYTHING without reading it? This behavior of "Ready, Fire, Aim", and never getting to "Aim", aka actually knowing something about what you're writing about, has to stop. People hop on various social media and amplify it without doing any checking, reading, understanding, or thinking. STOP IT!

Likewise, Bruce should get out of his house on the hill and live the life of the average citizen if he wants to talk about the abandonment of the American dream. The average person is living it every day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Thanks for the lecture Jim! Were you talking directing at me? Or the board in general? What about my post here was Ready, Fire, Aim? See the word "if"? 

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Half of Hollywood says that every election. None do it. And if Bruce happen to do it, would be hypocritical to what a lot of his music says. Badlands. Darkness. 

So what Daisey and Ross shouldn't have posted those articles at all? Because there not true? 

8 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

What the abandonment of the American dream a joke? If that was joking around I will apologize for misreading his intent. Otherwise, I will stand by what I’ve said. 

The actual words in the article are, “The power of the American idea has been abandoned.” You can look it up.

America was founded on ideas, such as "All men are created equal," rather than on the tribalism that had preceded it. I commend to your reading the Declaration of Independence, the best ~1,300 word mission statement you will ever encounter.   https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/declaration-transcript

In the 75 years post-WWII America championed international engagement, built global alliances, encouraged free trade, and spread other similar ideas. Domestically, America has moved over the last 75 years to better embody its founding ideals re people of color, women, and LBGTQ - Brown v Board of Ed, 1964 Civil Rights Act, 1965 Voting Rights Act, Obergefell v. Hodges (same-sex marriage), and others. We are nowhere near perfect, but we aspire to be better - that has been an enduring American value for my lifetime.

No one that I know, either Trump opposer or even Trump supporter, believes the last 4 years have moved us further towards those ideas of equality. Trump supporters seem opposed to those ideas, and Trump opposers take them at their word (with respect to that, but little else ;))

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JimCT said:

The actual words in the article are, “The power of the American idea has been abandoned.” You can look it up.

America was founded on ideas, such as "All men are created equal," rather than on the tribalism that had preceded it. I commend to your reading the Declaration of Independence, the best ~1,300 word mission statement you will ever encounter.   https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/declaration-transcript

In the 75 years post-WWII America championed international engagement, built global alliances, encouraged free trade, and spread other similar ideas. Domestically, America has moved over the last 75 years to better embody its founding ideals re people of color, women, and LBGTQ - Brown v Board of Ed, 1964 Civil Rights Act, 1965 Voting Rights Act, Obergefell v. Hodges (same-sex marriage), and others. We are nowhere near perfect, but we aspire to be better - that has been an enduring American value for my lifetime.

No one that I know, either Trump opposer or even Trump supporter, believes the last 4 years have moved us further towards those ideas of equality. Trump supporters seem opposed to those ideas, and Trump opposers take them at their word (with respect to that, but little else ;))

Good catch. The American idea. America was indeed founded on ideas such as all men are created equal. Except for the black ones, whom many of the signers of the Declaration of Independence owned as slaves. Ideas are great. Reality is another thing altogether. It’s great to say all men are created equal. It’s empty when it is not enacted by those that say it. Be careful lumping Trump supporters and Trump opposers in as making up the entirety of the population. People are out there everyday living their lives, working and interacting with a broad range of people from entirely diverse backgrounds. Clinton and Obama didn’t create that, Bush and Trump haven’t killed it. You don’t hear it because it doesn’t make much of a splash on the news channels but it’s going on. 

• CmonMrTrouble changed the title to im sorry this is ridiculous - Bruce says he'll move to 'Oz if ..