Greasy Lake Community

I heard and overall, I"m disappointed.

There's one song on there I swear sounds much like "incident on 57th street" the piano intro.

POWER OF PRAYER & HOUSE OF A THOUSAND GUITARS are pure clunkers and not worth a revisit.

"If I Was The Priest" is quite possibly the saving grace of the entire album that otherwise, "Letter To You" should be an apology for letting me down.

What was I thinking? That he'd make a statement lyrically and guitar solo wise?  Not here at all, this album is reminiscence, plain and simple and only Clearmountain gets the band sounding as if its not retreading old songs.

He could've done much much better

23 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Burnin train best rockin song he’s done  in 25 years! 

Wow!

now I really can’t wait! 

My review:

Good album! I enjoyed all the songs. Ghosts is still my favorite and Letter to you has grown quite a lot for me.

The other songs I liked the most on first listen: I'll see you in my dreams, If I was the priest, The Power of prayer, One minute you're here, Song for Orphans and Janey needs a shooter.
The song I liked the least: Last man standing.
House of a thousand guitars had a promising title and pre-album hype but it didn't live up to it. It's okay but it's my second least favorite on the album.

Overall the album is pretty even quality-wise, but the biggest problem I have with it, which has been present for a long time now in Bruce's career, is that there are more or less no memorable choruses on it. Ghosts has no doubt the best chorus on the album so it's not surprising to me that that song is my favorite on it.

• Like 2

Bought a copy of Uncut this morning, and the review of the album is superb. Gives it 9/10.

There is also an excellent article about the making of the album with several E Streeters.

• Like 1

I've been trying to work it out for days. Where have I heard the verse melody from Burnin' Train?

Got it. It's a straight lift from Dylan's Series Of Dreams. A song that Bruce once said inspired the writing process for the Lucky Town album.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Lampi said:

5 Star review in Rolling Stone.

Without doubt.

Believe it or not they only gave it four stars.

Still said it was a great album.

I don't think it's a 5* album, as that would put it on a par with greatness like Darkness and Nebraska and The River, and that clearly isn't the case. But I think it falls nicely into the next tier of 'very good' Bruce albums.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

I don't think it's a 5* album, as that would put it on a par with greatness like Darkness and Nebraska and The River, and that clearly isn't the case. But I think it falls nicely into the next tier of 'very good' Bruce albums.

3-4 for me.

The first two songs were a bit of a turn off for me, but once you get past those, it's solid.

• Like 1