Greasy Lake Community

"Letter to you"-album has leaked

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I think everyone just needs to chill out and be happy we have new music!

Perhaps viewing a thread titled 'letter to you album has leaked' isn't the right thing to be looking at if you don't want to read stuff about the album. 

I go back to my favourite line ever on GL. When Magic leaked two weeks before release there was a similar thread to this, and someone asked 'how are you having a discussion about the new album -

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, Perisic said:

Gonna buy it anyway so I'm okay with the fact that I downloaded it. Think this goes for everyone on this board otherwise we wouldn't be here.

I saw that the big torrent sites have it too, now that's a different matter. Once it's leaked it's gonna end up on those sites and people will download it without buying the record next week. But you can't stop that. The album would've ended up there next week too. 

Anyway, they should learn from this and just drop the album when it's finished next time. 

Also, what did they expect after sending out copies for reviews? Bit harsh to call out the people who downloaded it - we're not the ones who leaked it.

I don't think Amy, Nils, and Steve are choosing their battles as wisely as they could be.  I may be wrong, but I haven't seen Bruce comment about the leak, maybe he is letting others fight that battle, or maybe he isn't that concerned since like others have mentioned those here that have been condemned by the band for getting it early are going to buy it anyway, and a lot are going to buy it in multiple formats.

If you send out copies for review before the release date you run the risk of it being leaked.

If there are physical CDs or records going out to distribution centers and stores before the release date you run the risk of a leak.

The best way to prevent a leak that I can think of is release it in digital format and allow reviews only from that point, not before, then release the physical formats a week or 2 later.

• Like 5
57 minutes ago, Nicholas said:

I mean Nils is right, whether we like it or not. It's a commodity, intended for sale on a certain date, and many people instead found ways to get their hands on it that the owner of that commodity does not condone. We do some moral gymnastics ("well I'm gonna buy it anyway") but we know that's just talking ourselves down.

I just don't understand those who would go after Nils, his wife, or any member of the E Street family for being upset at what they view to be theft. I guess there's just a meanness in this world.

The owner of the commodity isn't Nils, Amy, or Steve, they are the only ones who I have seen comment on the leak.  So until Bruce says it we don't know his opinion.

Would you include Steve in the meanness in this world since he told fans to Fuck off from his official Twitter account?  Just trying to see where you draw the line.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, jukeblue said:

I personally think this is a stronger album than Western Stars and is better than either The Rising or Magic. There's no throwaway like Sleepy Joe's Cafe or Waiting on a Sunny Day on this album. The only song that seems misplaced is the Rising era Rainmaker but the different tone and slight political edge is welcome on an overall gorgeous celebration of Springsteen's music life and the E Street Band. Song for Orphans is a track that will take me hundreds of listens to crack. A real nod to Dylan, as is the arrangement for several other tracks, and Bruce's vocal style "Priest" in particular which sounds like one of those Dylan tracks that went on for like 25 verses and is indeed stunning, (makes me wonder what the band would do with a studio version of Purple Rain) but there are 6/7 other stunning tracks here and 3/4 that I'd place in the "very good" category that would easily get on Magic or Rising.

It's a 9/10 for me so it's right up there with Born in the USA and not far off Darkness 9.5/10 (my favourite album despite the sound issues), The River 9.5/10 and Born To Run 10/10

Opinons opinions.....I would never regard SJC as a 'throwaway', or WOASD for that matter. There is a place in the world for sunny, bright, jaunty fun songs. Not everything has to be a morose introspective tear jerker. Bruce knows that very well, thankfully. 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, burghfan said:

I'm with @Jimmy James on being confused by what you need to do to be considered a thief.

What if you downloaded the files, didn't share them, but shared the link that you downloaded from?

What if you didn't download the files, didn't share them, didn't listen to it, but shared the link that you listened from?

I think this is exactly what/where the dilemma exists.

I have only spoken for Greasy Lake - we won't allow links here and don't want people to use this site to find and download unauthorized content.  However, we also aren't going to stick our fingers in our ears, close our eyes and pretend it doesn't happen.

That being said, who arbitrates "stealing" is subjective.  Obviously, Nils and Amy think possessing it in any form is stealing and if you share it in any form is the same.

We convince ourselves that "I will buy it anyway" makes it OK, but it still is getting artist's content in a manner different than they intended.  As someone "shares" or "steals" the music, they can't possibly know if the next user will actually buy the final product.  No question, some people are going to hear this download and decide "this isn't for me" and maybe not buy the music in any form.  To the original post's point - did they "steal" it if they listen for free and don't buy?

The first copy out of Sony's control is the first opportunity for it to be shared, and they DO get shared that way. 

I also think the artist themselves makes a difference.  Bruce has Sony's music operation behind him and he operates in a different financial position than most.  For someone like Nils (and Amy) much of their production is self funded and they won't anticipate selling tens of millions of copies.  For Nils, the "theft" of even a few copies of his new CD (which is great by the way) can make a difference.  I would say it's the same for Garry, Jake, Eddie Manion and others associated with the E Street band. 

I honestly doubt we will hear from Bruce on this topic at all

• Like 5

With the exception of a handful of people in here that I have have the privilege to interact with, I’ve noticed that there are some very toxic people on here. Not all but most. It’s honestly the reason I don’t come to the lake very often anymore. If anyone on here makes one single mistake, they are out to crucify them with their own demented idea of justice. Like this whole twitter deal. Should home boy have said what he said on an official twitter account? Absolutely not. But he apologized. Some say damage done and  he needs to step down and they are entitled to their opinions but Jesus Christ, all I ever seem to read on here is someone or some people shitting on someone else. Some of you people are cut throat. And honestly, I don’t even know that I want to be a part (even in the small capacity that I participate in) of this community anymore. There is already enough toxic bullshit in the world. Why add to it? I would hate to see the skeletons you keep in your closets. This was supposed to be a place where fans of Bruce Springsteen were able to come to together and celebrate him and his band. When did it turn into a place of such judgement? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

We convince ourselves that "I will buy it anyway" makes it OK, but it still is getting artist's content in a manner different than they intended.  As someone "shares" or "steals" the music, they can't possibly know if the next user will actually buy the final product.  No question, some people are going to hear this download and decide "this isn't for me" and maybe not buy the music in any form.  To the original post's point - did they "steal" it if they listen for free and don't buy?

It's not "stealing" to listen to an album early.   If I like it, I will buy it.  If I don't care for it so much, I won't .... but I wouldn't have bought it without listening to it first anyway.  So all it comes down to for me is an earlier opportunity to listen to it.

I haven't made any attempt to find a link to LTY.  I'm not that desperate to hear it.  All in good time.  But I agree with whoever said they should have just released it as soon as it was ready. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

I also think the artist themselves makes a difference.  Bruce has Sony's music operation behind him and he operates in a different financial position than most.  For someone like Nils (and Amy) much of their production is self funded and they won't anticipate selling tens of millions of copies.  For Nils, the "theft" of even a few copies of his new CD (which is great by the way) can make a difference.  I would say it's the same for Garry, Jake, Eddie Manion and others associated with the E Street band. 

I honestly doubt we will hear from Bruce on this topic at all

I agree with this. I didn't even know there was a leak and someone sent it to me, a first. I've listened to it multiple times but it isn't as smooth a listen as the actual recording will be which will be here when I get home next Saturday at which time I will record it on my computer and dump it into the player in my sewing room.

We have no outlets to purchase music here so I order from Amazon except for smaller artists who self publish. I always order a CD directly from them. I figure they earn more that way and I want to support them as I hope to be able to see them live at some point in the future. I have even purchased "tickets" to watch live shows on my phone. I have one to watch while I'm gone in Thursday and I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Junglelander said:

With the exception of a handful of people in here that I have have the privilege to interact with, I’ve noticed that there are some very toxic people on here. Not all but most. It’s honestly the reason I don’t come to the lake very often anymore. If anyone on here makes one single mistake, they are out to crucify them with their own demented idea of justice. Like this whole twitter deal. Should home boy have said what he said on an official twitter account? Absolutely not. But he apologized. Some say damage done and  he needs to step down and they are entitled to their opinions but Jesus Christ, all I ever seem to read on here is someone or some people shitting on someone else. Some of you people are cut throat. And honestly, I don’t even know that I want to be a part (even in the small capacity that I participate in) of this community anymore. There is already enough toxic bullshit in the world. Why add to it? I would hate to see the skeletons you keep in your closets. This was supposed to be a place where fans of Bruce Springsteen were able to come to together and celebrate him and his band. When did it turn into a place of such judgement? 

I feel yoy. That judgement always bubbles up whenever something newsworthy is going on, and then it will fizzle out as it tends to do when we are all enjoying the music together.

Perhaps it's the climate in 2020 (not just politics but the state of the world at the moment) that has some cynical and stern. Pent up frustration or anxiety brimming to the surface. It's a sad man, my friend, who's living in his own skin, and can't stand the company."

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, romasb said:

Anybody remember those stickers on LPs back in the eighties - "Home taping is killing music!"? :P

Those same LPs where we subsequently bought the CD, the remastered CD, the deluxe box set of the CD ....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Perisic said:

Gonna buy it anyway so I'm okay with the fact that I downloaded it. Think this goes for everyone on this board otherwise we wouldn't be here.

I saw that the big torrent sites have it too, now that's a different matter. Once it's leaked it's gonna end up on those sites and people will download it without buying the record next week. But you can't stop that. The album would've ended up there next week too. 

Anyway, they should learn from this and just drop the album when it's finished next time. 

Also, what did they expect after sending out copies for reviews? Bit harsh to call out the people who downloaded it - we're not the ones who leaked it.

This.

• Like 1

Still waiting for the official release. 

Luckily the first two singles have been a treat - especially Ghosts so the days have gone by nicely. 

Don't know yet how I'm going to listen this one and where for the first time but it needs to be well planned as it might be last or close to it anyways. 

11 hours ago, burghfan said:

I'm with @Jimmy James on being confused by what you need to do to be considered a thief.

What if you downloaded the files, didn't share them, but shared the link that you downloaded from?

What if you didn't download the files, didn't share them, didn't listen to it, but shared the link that you listened from?

What if you stole a song from Steve Earle and released it as your own composition?
What Bruce did seems a LOT worse to me than just having the music files early - hell, 99.9 percent of people who wanted to hear it early, hear it that badly, have either pre-ordered it, or will buy it when it comes out.

1 hour ago, romasb said:

Anybody remember those stickers on LPs back in the eighties - "Home taping is killing music!"? :P

The members of AC/DC (well, somebody in that band, or their organization), in the late '80s, wanted to SUE people who were taping their albums for friends, like Back In Black. Fucking insane.

Later on in 2015, a little after I'd seen them that year, I read of them hiring extra police to specifically bust the people selling the crappy bootleg t-shirts on corners! My God, don't RICH rock stars have anything better to do or care about? Aren't they rich enough as well?!? If someone buys a crappy shirt for 10 bucks or whatnot, they get the poor shirt they paid for - instead of the insanely priced ones at the venue, because they wanted to LEAVE when it was over.

Anyway, someone in the band was enough of an asshole to briefly think they could stop "home taping" by legal matters. I'm sure it clearly didn't take them long to realize how 1) this would be impossible to enact and 2) that it made them look like ASSHOLES.
Fucking rock stars.

2 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

The members of AC/DC (well, somebody in that band, or their organization), in the late '80s, wanted to SUE people who were taping their albums for friends, like Back In Black. Fucking insane.

Later on in 2015, a little after I'd seen them that year, I read of them hiring extra police to specifically bust the people selling the crappy bootleg t-shirts on corners! My God, don't RICH rock stars have anything better to do or care about? Aren't they rich enough as well?!? If someone buys a crappy shirt for 10 bucks or whatnot, they get the poor shirt they paid for - instead of the insanely priced ones at the venue, because they wanted to LEAVE when it was over.

Anyway, someone in the band was enough of an asshole to briefly think they could stop "home taping" by legal matters. I'm sure it clearly didn't take them long to realize how 1) this would be impossible to enact and 2) that it made them look like ASSHOLES.
Fucking rock stars.

I guess it was a pure copyright issue rather than an anti cheap t-shirt crusade. People selling non-authorized merchandise are making an illegal (and often considerable) profit out of an artist name/work. It doesn’t matter how wealthy such artist might be. Nobody doubts that selling clearly fake but cheaper Apple products outside an Apple store would be against the law, no matter how huge the company’s revenues are. I’m not saying AC/DC were right, but if you tolerate fake merchandise, why should you not accept the sale of illegal album recordings as well? Where do you draw the line?

11 hours ago, risingaurora said:

Opinons opinions.....I would never regard SJC as a 'throwaway', or WOASD for that matter. There is a place in the world for sunny, bright, jaunty fun songs. Not everything has to be a morose introspective tear jerker. Bruce knows that very well, thankfully. 

This isn't that either. It's just a fantastic album. So glad they pulled out those 3 songs from the 70's which saved them from having to put any "passable/so-so" tracks on the album. I guess that was my point. There's no "filler" on this album unlike pretty much all of his albums since The Ghost of Tom Joad. From one interview I read yesterday it appears they might have worked up a couple of other 70's tracks from the vault too - which is very promising!

• Like 1

By heck, not being on Twitter means this is all news to me. This has really escalated, eh?

I think the link was put on another board for all to see if they wanted to - I didn't - I can wait until, probably, next week.  I think I fluffed the ordering as, instead of braving the bus to go into the Toon, I chose the internet.

I've been sent links in the past, also copied/received tapes and CDs ... most if not all of us are in the mire ... we're all welcome on this train. He said so.

Just bring out the bloomin' record when it's ready, don't send copies/files, whatever, out to the 'chosen ones'. Just do what needs to be done in the studio and get the stuff out asap.

Or ... put up with the consequences cos most fans haven't had the opportunity to learn how to be patient. The amount of reviews is laughable ... whilst being interesting, should they really be plastered all over sites acknowledging and supporting those relying on sales of their work? Bruce is so rich it doesn't matter? Many more way down the pay scale do rely on sales.

Nils is standing up for his wife - good for him.  Steven's just being Steven - all good. Both might be in positions where they can stop the leaks happening in the first place. Allowing some people to listen early - people who are not able to stop themselves from passing it on - is where this began. Don't do it. Simple, really.

I can't wait to hear the album - if I'd listened early then the anticipation would have been knocked on the head. Then again, I'm old (ish) ... waiting's not so painful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I bought Western Stars the day of release and then as often happens with new music I didn't listen to it for weeks and then not much at all till a few weeks ago (discovered it's actually quite good). 

I think I can wait till Friday to put this album on my shelf. 

Just realised I still haven't listen to that Nick Cave album I bought that came out last year. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Demos said:

I bought Western Stars the day of release and then as often happens with new music I didn't listen to it for weeks and then not much at all till a few weeks ago.

I listened to it loads for the first couple of weeks then either had it in an old cd player that I chucked out or I put it somewhere safe. One of life's mysteries. I'll wait until I can buy it for next to nothing ... then the original will turn up. I'll attempt to put this new one somewhere even I'll find it again.

• Sad 1

Personally, as desperate as I am to hear the album, I’m rather enjoying the anticipation. It’s like the build up to Christmas Day when you were a kid!

lots of thoughts and opinions on here regarding the rights and wrongs of leaking and sharing the album. From my perspective, until it’s released officially, unless you have permission from the Springsteen camp to share it, you shouldn’t. Doesn’t matter if you’re going to buy it anyway, it’s not yours to share yet.

• Like 3