Greasy Lake Community

"Letter to you"-album has leaked

So far i have not attempted to  download.For me it's not a question another 4 days as the online sites in India including Amazon have not yet listed this. Ordered through a UK website and last time it took almost 30 days and that was pre-covid. God knows how long it will take now.Am assuming like always it will be up on Amazon music and spotify on the day of release, if not may get tempted to look for other sources. Do i feel guilty.No. i have bought everything Bruce has ever put out, including multiple copies if there is a even slight defect. I bought the Tracks complete set as well as 18 tracks just because it had 4 songs which should have been on the 4 CD set but was intentionally kept out. While i can wait 5 years for a new album, its difficult to wait even for a month when i know that the album is out and i cant hear it.Just my personal opinion

• Like 1
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I think everyone just needs to chill out and be happy we have new music!

Perhaps viewing a thread titled 'letter to you album has leaked' isn't the right thing to be looking at if you don't want to read stuff about the album. 

I go back to my favourite line ever on GL. When Magic leaked two weeks before release there was a similar thread to this, and someone asked 'how are you having a discussion about the new album -

Posted Images

13 hours ago, burghfan said:

The owner of the commodity isn't Nils, Amy, or Steve, they are the only ones who I have seen comment on the leak.  So until Bruce says it we don't know his opinion.

Would you include Steve in the meanness in this world since he told fans to Fuck off from his official Twitter account?  Just trying to see where you draw the line.

Personally, I haven't followed the whole twitter battle (nor have I listened to the album yet). I don't want to comment on the specific issue, but it's worth reminding that over the last decade or so, the real breadwinner for musicians has been performing live. 

As we know, COVID-19 has put touring industry on an indefinite hiatus. Profit losses because of illegal album download might therefore be a touchier issue that it was ten months ago, especially for band members.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Eileen said:

I listened to it loads for the first couple of weeks then either had it in an old cd player that I chucked out or I put it somewhere safe. One of life's mysteries. I'll wait until I can buy it for next to nothing ... then the original will turn up. I'll attempt to put this new one somewhere even I'll find it again.

Western Stars is less than a fiver on Amazon now.

1 hour ago, walk like brando said:

Personally, as desperate as I am to hear the album, I’m rather enjoying the anticipation. It’s like the build up to Christmas Day when you were a kid!

lots of thoughts and opinions on here regarding the rights and wrongs of leaking and sharing the album. From my perspective, until it’s released officially, unless you have permission from the Springsteen camp to share it, you shouldn’t. Doesn’t matter if you’re going to buy it anyway, it’s not yours to share yet.

But surely there's no harm in downloading and listening to it?

Just now, Rizla said:

Western Stars is less than a fiver on Amazon now.

Wehey!  I'm tidying up in the house today ... well, I say that most days, I might do it today - or tomorrow ... so I'll have another check. Thank you!

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Wehey!  I'm tidying up in the house today ... well, I say that most days, I might do it today - or tomorrow ... so I'll have another check. Thank you!

£5.39 on base.com includes postage

https://www.base.com/buy/product/bruce-springsteen-western-stars/dgc-19075941972.htm

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, walk like brando said:

Doesn’t matter if you’re going to buy it anyway, it’s not yours to share yet.

Is it ever OK to share music? Isn't that the problem with album sales today, and why live performance is such a big part of the musicians income?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Is it ever OK to share music? Isn't that the problem with album sales today, and why live performance is such a big part of the musicians income?  

Well, that train left a quarter of century ago, I’m afraid. In the mid-Nineties, the music  industry dramatically failed  to realize the danger the mp3 format truely rapresented for its core business. Once the content was separated from its physical support, its intrinsic value plummeted, and any sort of property control over it was lost.

In more recent years, platforms such as iMusic or Spotyfy saized control of the music business by virtually “legalizing” filesharing their own way. However, under their conditions artists are paid a pittance of what they were paid before. Touring and peforming live, which were essentially a way of promoting album sales in the mid-to-late 20th century, turned  into the artist’s main source of income. Hence the incredible amount of comeback tours by often long forgotten acts - and the explosion of ticket prices - that we have witnessed over the last 15 to 20 years.

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Frank said:

Well, that train left a quarter of century ago, I’m afraid. In the mid-Nineties, the music  industry dramatically failed  to realize the danger the mp3 format truely rapresented for its core business. Once the content was separated from its physical support, its intrinsic value plummeted, and any sort of property control over it was lost.

In more recent years, platforms such as iMusic or Spotyfy saized control of the music business by virtually “legalizing” filesharing their own way. However, under their conditions artists are paid a pittance of what they were paid before. Touring and peforming live, which were essentially a way of promoting album sales in the mid-to-late 20th century, turned  into the artist’s main source of income. Hence the incredible amount of comeback tours by often long forgotten acts - and the explosion of ticket prices - that we have witnessed over the last 15 to 20 years.

Not to mention overpriced, poorly made merchandise.

Bruce is selling Letter To You baubles for your Christmas tree, fer chrissakes.   Incredible.

1 minute ago, Promise61 said:

Bruce is selling Letter To You baubles for your Christmas tree, fer chrissakes.   Incredible.

You're a collector! You will be getting one! :D

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Rizla said:

But surely there's no harm in downloading and listening to it?

But the point is, it’s not yours to do that with until it’s released officially. Might as well say that there’s no harm in taking somebodies car and going for a drive as long as you return it with fuel in. Or buying a bootleg DVD and justifying that by saying you’re going to pay to see the movie officially when it hits the cinemas....

7 hours ago, Promise61 said:

We'd need audio peeps like @doesthisbusstop to give us a definitive comparison, but someone said some time ago that the sound quality on review copies is always downgraded in anticipation of leaking to the great unwashed.

Someone sent me the mp3 of the album last week but I have not been tempted to play it. But I have pre-ordered the high resolution HD files from Qobuz.com and I know the listening experience will be worth waiting until Friday for. I’ve also pre-ordered the CD as I always like to have a physical format as well, mainly for the lyric book to read as I listen. Really excited for Friday, with repeat listens planned for the evening with a few beers. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I think that’s a very good point indeed.

i don’t profess to have all, or even any, of the answers. I think (maybe naively) that once the material is officially released the “crime” of sharing something that you have purchased pretty much evaporates. The material is out there on the date the artist intended. Once you’ve purchased the material, sharing it then almost makes you part of the Bruce Inc marketing team!

On the other hand, maybe I’m just talking nonsense.... wouldn’t be the first or last time!

22 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Well, exactly. And we’re taking about long-established artists with a solid fan base.

Just to make another example, Bon Jovi (who has kept a stellar profile during the pandemic, and to whom a raise my hat) half-jokingly admitted that the title of his (pretty good) 2020 album was originally meant as a way of promoting t-shirt sales at concerts in an election year. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Frank said:

Sometimes I wonder if we may be moving into an age where as established artists die out music isn't really a viable career move for all but a few so people just 'go local' and make their own more as a hobby. It takes hours to create a decent recording and prior that it takes years of effort to learn how to play and arrange. More effort than a lot of us apply in our daily jobs these days (I'm talking about the spreadsheet generation) Why bother if somone can just nick your creations for free and try to justify it with some half assed rationalisation like 'no one owns music'

• Like 2

I will not pursue a download of this album. I have my cd arriving this week, I’m not so desperate to hear it , I don’t come from the instant gratification generation  . And all this nastiness toward the.people we are here to celebrate does not sit well with me . I’m with Nils/Amy , you are wrong to download it .

47 minutes ago, Demos said:

Sometimes I wonder if we may be moving into an age where as established artists die out music isn't really a viable career move for all but a few so people just 'go local' and make their own more as a hobby. It takes hours to create a decent recording and prior that it takes years of effort to learn how to play and arrange. More effort than a lot of us apply in our daily jobs these days (I'm talking about the spreadsheet generation) Why bother if somone can just nick your creations for free and try to justify it with some half assed rationalisation like 'no one owns music'

Well, I agree with you, but I wonder if the future you describe has not often been the norm in the past. I mean, I’m no expert, but I guess very few artists (and I include painters, sculptors, writers etc, not just musicians) had the privilege of making a living out of their art before the second half of the Twentieth century. Most of the artistic geniuses of the past technically lived off the kindness of the tycoons of their times, and they couldn’t have done otherwise. And in this respect, I’m afraid the last 60 years have probably represented an extremely lucky exception rather than the new normal.

2 hours ago, walk like brando said:

But the point is, it’s not yours to do that with until it’s released officially. Might as well say that there’s no harm in taking somebodies car and going for a drive as long as you return it with fuel in. Or buying a bootleg DVD and justifying that by saying you’re going to pay to see the movie officially when it hits the cinemas....

No, I disagree. Just listening to it early isn't taking anything away from anyone.  It is not theft.
The car analogy doesn't work as you are talking about putting wear and tear on, and risking damage to a physical artefact.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

You're a collector! You will be getting one! :D

:D

Indeed I won't. Nothing beats the horse poster from WS.  Imagine THAT on the wall in your den. :o Unless you're nine years old.

I just prefer to wait for the official release.

Even if I had the knowledge to know how to obtain an album like this a week or so before official release, I wouldn't do it.

Guess I am just an old fashioned traditionalist when it comes to these sort of things.

• Like 1

It's 2020.  Is it really possible to release music anymore and not expect leaks and leaks that leak like a sieve?  

I heard the album.  I didn't download it but I listened.  Does that make me a thief?  Oh well.  Before I heard it I already decided I will buy it and I still intend to buy it.

I don't think anger should be directed at the fans who can't wait to hear Bruce's music.  It should be directed towards whoever leaked it.

Plus, why do the reviewers have to review it so far ahead of release date?  Kind of ridiculous.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Plus, why do the reviewers have to review it so far ahead of release date?  Kind of ridiculous

That struck me as a little weird as well. Usually review embargos are a few days out at most. Album release Friday, reviews come out Wednesday.

Having the album out there a whole week early is basically asking for it to be leaked

• Like 2