Greasy Lake Community

"Letter to you"-album has leaked

Well, who knows who leaked it, but let's face it, it doesn't do Bruce any harm. The leak builds anticipation for the release among fans, who are going to buy the official album anyway.  I'd take the 'fury' at the leak with a pinch of salt personally.

• Like 2
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I think everyone just needs to chill out and be happy we have new music!

Perhaps viewing a thread titled 'letter to you album has leaked' isn't the right thing to be looking at if you don't want to read stuff about the album. 

I go back to my favourite line ever on GL. When Magic leaked two weeks before release there was a similar thread to this, and someone asked 'how are you having a discussion about the new album -

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Eileen said:

I listened to it loads for the first couple of weeks then either had it in an old cd player that I chucked out or I put it somewhere safe. One of life's mysteries. I'll wait until I can buy it for next to nothing ... then the original will turn up. I'll attempt to put this new one somewhere even I'll find it again.

Bugga :(

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Someone sent me a link that I could just click and stream without downloading.

Oh, I guess I thought that was all the same thing.

I was searchin’ for a rhythm in the ether

In the shadows of the dark side of the net

Well, this town it’s got me pecking at my keyboard

Lookin’ for a secret I ain’t found just yet.

Well, they tell you there are laws against it, mister,

But with my baby in my lap I just don’t care.

So I'm breathin' chains of prayers tonight to Mary

For the mercy of the few willing to share.

And I’m listenin’ to a stolen song,

Oh, and I know it’s wrong.

But I can’t walk that line

When the wait’s so long.

Well, I’ve got a folder titled "graveyard boots"

Following a download on the edge of town.

Like Cain I pulled the trigger on my mouse, sir;

I chased the seeds that I saw runnin' round.

Now Mr. FBI man, please don't stop me,

Don't ask me how I feel 'bout what I've done.

I'm a thief in a house of guitars, so don't trust me;

I'm holdin' people up without a gun.

And I’m listenin’ to a stolen song,

Oh, and I know it’s wrong.

But I can’t walk that line

When the wait’s so long.

Letter to you

Rainmaker, make it rain.

Letter to you

Just like a burnin’ train.

Whhhhaaaaaooooooaaaaoooa

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1

I don’t mean to offend those lakers who have justified downloading/streaming album by stating you will still purchase the album , but this is like saying I’ll steal that book today but it’s ok cos I ll pay for it in a week . Plus many who download it (not nec on this site) will not purchase it . The leak was unnecessary , sneaky and wrong , and I don’t want to be part of that . All the comments alluding to fact Bruce has not commented etc only his band does not suggest he condones the leak. He rarely comments on social media ,thus  I do think the best source of opinion without hearing his are his band mates of 40-50 years.

I wouldn't worry too much about what Bruce thinks ... after all ...

“…all them bootleggers out there in radio-land, roll your tapes!” 

2 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I don’t mean to offend those lakers who have justified downloading/streaming album by stating you will still purchase the album , but this is like saying I’ll steal that book today but it’s ok cos I ll pay for it in a week .

No, it's really not. 

If I walked into a bookstore and walked out with a book without paying = theft under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act.

If I download the illegal music files, then it's breach of copyright and I could be pursued for damages. 

The simple way to stop such activities is not to distribute advance copies of the music rather than to plead to fans to act morally and to metaphorically cover their ears and sing la-la-la when such material is in open circulation. 

• Like 4
Just now, Growin' Up said:

No, it's really not. 

If I walked into a bookstore and walked out with a book without paying = theft under the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act.

If I download the illegal music files, then it's breach of copyright and I could be pursued for damages. 

The simple way to stop such activities is not to distribute advance copies of the music rather than to plead to fans to act morally and to metaphorically cover their ears and sing la-la-la when such material is in open circulation. 

27 minutes ago, Growin' Up said:

and people pre ordered have already paid for a product they dont have.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

and people pre ordered have already paid for a product they dont have.

Well, to be fair, that’s the definition of pre-ordering. You pay in advance for the privilege of getting the album in your mail (or on your pc) on release day instead of going out and buying it. But that’s all. 

3 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I don’t mean to offend those lakers who have justified downloading/streaming album by stating you will still purchase the album , but this is like saying I’ll steal that book today but it’s ok cos I ll pay for it in a week . Plus many who download it (not nec on this site) will not purchase it .

But listening to the album is not the same as having it in your possession.
I don't buy albums until I've listened to them.  And listening to an album doesn't mean I have to buy it.  If I don't like what I hear, I won't buy it.

Sure, downloading it and saving it and copying it on to your various media without ever paying for a copy, that's wrong.  But just listening to it early is not a crime in my opinion.

4 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I don’t mean to offend those lakers who have justified downloading/streaming album by stating you will still purchase the album , but this is like saying I’ll steal that book today but it’s ok cos I ll pay for it in a week . Plus many who download it (not nec on this site) will not purchase it . The leak was unnecessary , sneaky and wrong , and I don’t want to be part of that . All the comments alluding to fact Bruce has not commented etc only his band does not suggest he condones the leak. He rarely comments on social media ,thus  I do think the best source of opinion without hearing his are his band mates of 40-50 years.

Nonsense 

• Like 1

To everyone on this thread who says that listening to the album in advance of release is 'stealing' the album; have you ever listened to a bootleg? Bought one at a record fair (remember those?), or downloaded a bootleg? 

Was that stealing?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, risingaurora said:

To everyone on this thread who says that listening to the album in advance of release is 'stealing' the album; have you ever listened to a bootleg? Bought one at a record fair (remember those?), or downloaded a bootleg? 

Was that stealing?

I mentioned this yesterday. Don't we have a 690+ page thread going on right now on this forum? 

• Like 1

Proud downloader here.  We have a cracking album on our hands. Can't stop listening to it. The nostalgic aspect is huge. It's a goodbye in my view and it's beautiful. See you in my dreams will be at my funeral. The tour that follows this will be epic. So many songs that will grow live. 

So glad to have an e street album in the modern era that I adore. 

Brooocccceeeeee. I'll see you in my dreams.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, risingaurora said:

Was that stealing?

Let me first state that I don't judge those who listened/downloaded the new album so far. I'm sure they will all buy the album on release day (if they haven't preordered it yet). I myself may have listened to leaked tracks in the past and for sure I wouldn't consider that as theft. 

That being said, I don't think you can honestly compare buying/downloading bootlegs to downloading soon-to-be-released official albums for free. Both actions are technically illegal, but the first one doesn't harm the copyright owner directly, the second one does.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

It was no different years ago. Except that it was the sharing of cassettes. We had Nebraska, MWW and BITUSA a couple of weeks before release. The super spreader was a well known mega Bruce fan, B list celeb. Go figure.

Btw, do you own or have you heard ANY Bruce unreleased studio outtakes or live sets?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Frank said:

Let me first state that I don't judge those who listened/downloaded the new album so far. I'm sure they will all buy the album on release day (if they haven't preordered it yet). I myself may have listened to leaked tracks in the past and for sure I wouldn't consider that as theft. 

That being said, I don't think you can honestly compare buying/downloading bootlegs to downloading soon-to-be-released official albums for free. Both actions are technically illegal, but the first one doesn't harm the copyright owner directly, the second one does.

How does the second one harm the copyright holder if the downloader will be paying for the content in a few days? 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, risingaurora said:

How does the second one harm the copyright holder if the downloader will be paying for the content in a few days? 

I think the point is if you download said album and then send to a friend, who likes it but can't afford it (and it's a decent quality boot). They will keep the file without buying actual.

2 minutes ago, risingaurora said:

I'm talking about the two actions in general and in terms of copyright, not in the specific context of Letter to you downloaded by super-fans. You're taking for granted that the downloader will pay for what they already have (which would hardly be the norm among casual fans). That's why you can't compare bootlegs downloading to album downloading.  

31 minutes ago, Frank said:

I think owning unreleased studio outtakes is the worst thing of all because those songs were actually STOLEN from Bruce/Sony. It's chickenfeed compared to listening to a new album and then buying it later. 

• Like 3