Greasy Lake Community

"Letter to you"-album has leaked

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I think everyone just needs to chill out and be happy we have new music!

Perhaps viewing a thread titled 'letter to you album has leaked' isn't the right thing to be looking at if you don't want to read stuff about the album. 

I go back to my favourite line ever on GL. When Magic leaked two weeks before release there was a similar thread to this, and someone asked 'how are you having a discussion about the new album -

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Eileen said:

I wouldn't worry too much about what Bruce thinks ... after all ...

“…all them bootleggers out there in radio-land, roll your tapes!” 

But bootlegging live shows is different in that it is by its nature in the public domain , stealing unreleased output is altogether different

10 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Like people have said , bootlegging is not the same as pinching an official release for free. Bruce even told us to get our tape recorders ready in the radio broadcasts in the 70s 

Then sued their asses off big stylee.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Well that’s your opinion and you are entitled to it . Mine is that it’s theft and all the excuses presented to claim otherwise are nonsense too :D

Best dump all your live boots and studio outtakes then, just to be on the safe side. Keep your conscience clear that way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
20 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Just got this through! So I should get it before the 23td ! :D

0A2DA482-C95C-4800-9B40-8E8B7652B3A2.jpeg

I have had one of those too....excited now!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, zzcoolness said:

I think the point is if you download said album and then send to a friend, who likes it but can't afford it (and it's a decent quality boot). They will keep the file without buying actual.

If the friend can't afford it he/she was never going to buy it.  How is the artist losing out in this case?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Just got this through! So I should get it before the 23td ! :D

0A2DA482-C95C-4800-9B40-8E8B7652B3A2.jpeg

If you get it one or two days before the release date, will you wait until the "proper time?"  ;)

Seriously though, to everyone, this IS an interesting discussion and as I mentioned a few pages ago, I doubt we will hear from Bruce about this topic.  That being said, some folks feel passionately on both sides of the topic, and we appreciate the discussion staying civil and calm.  Either way you feel, we are all BIG fans and are excited to get new music (and some really old) from our favorite singer and his band.   All the other stuff is details.

And for now, let's get on to bitching about no concerts in the time of COVID!!!!!!!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, burghfan said:

If the friend can't afford it he/she was never going to buy it.  How is the artist losing out in this case?

Fair point, but theoretically say the guy can afford it at some point in the future, if he already has a limited means of money and has the choice between buying an album he already has or eating dinner out, why would you buy it again, if it's already in high quality?

Short/current run- Artist aren't losing money from people distributing this. Long run maybe?

Unlike bootlegs, especially radio broadcasts, which are public domain, hence "bootleggers in radioland roll your tapes". Albums are protected under copyright laws, while the producers and artist may have sent reviewers copies of the album, (whether they signed agreement saying they wouldn't illegally release it who knows :)). But the artist/record companies own the copyrights to the songs/albums and provide Spotify, Apple, etc. MLA's to sell said music and the original owners receive some proceeds and royalties for each download.

With leaking albums, some people (not people on the Lake I don't think), especially if it's high quality, and may not have money to splurge (esp. now) will choose to find a copy, and not buy the album.

For people like Bruce, it doesn't really affect their bottom lines. For people like Nils, who are smaller artists with niche following, losing more than a few of those sales can hurt their future income. Even if they aren't hurting for money, many people like to have more than they need to do whatever they want.

• Like 2

Let me throw this into the ring for those who love to debate finer legal / moral points

I have heard, from a friend who's mate works on the Deli counter  at ASDA who has it first hand,  that there  are  groups of people some of whom frequent the lake who collaborate to share the costs of the Nugs releases.

Yay or Nay 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, davemunday said:

Let me throw this into the ring for those who love to debate finer legal / moral points

I have heard, from a friend who's mate works on the Deli counter  at ASDA who has it first hand,  that there  are  groups of people some of whom frequent the lake who collaborate to share the costs of the Nugs releases.

Yay or Nay 

It wouldn't surprise me if they factored that into the price. At least that's what checkout girl at Sainsbury's told me.

• Haha 2
53 minutes ago, risingaurora said:

If you pre order CD from amazon or whomever, and it arrives a day early (Thursday), are you stealing if you listen to it?

Yes.  The T&C's state you need to wait until the charge appears on your credit card statement.

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, jukebox said:

Yes.  The T&C's state you need to wait until the charge appears on your credit card statement.

What are the rules if it shows up a day early and you used a debit card to pay?

• Haha 1
57 minutes ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

Will there be a new thread for when the album drops? I didn't know it leaked and at this point won't listen to it til it comes out 

Absolutely there will be. Friday will be mega for most folks who haven't heard it yet (and still pretty exciting for those of us who have already)

• Bruuuuce! 4