Greasy Lake Community

"Letter to you"-album has leaked

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I think everyone just needs to chill out and be happy we have new music!

Perhaps viewing a thread titled 'letter to you album has leaked' isn't the right thing to be looking at if you don't want to read stuff about the album. 

I go back to my favourite line ever on GL. When Magic leaked two weeks before release there was a similar thread to this, and someone asked 'how are you having a discussion about the new album -

Posted Images

You know what would put an end to these leak's? Release the album when it's finished, no announcement! 

Only hardcore Bruce's fans will be buying this, so no need for a big time promotion. 

Album will be #1 for a week or two then off the charts, like the last few! 

• Like 7
10 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

You know what would put an end to these leak's? Release the album when it's finished, no announcement! 

Only hardcore Bruce's fans will be buying this, so no need for a big time promotion. 

Album will be #1 for a week or two then off the charts, like the last few! 

The industry has changed a lot in the last 35 years.  I remember waiting outside the Tower Records store in my area in 1985 and when they opened, I actually had to help them cut open the boxes to get my vinyl and cassette copies the Live 75-85 box set.

Now a lot of artists aren't even creating physical product at all, "download from your favorite music service or from my website" and they save the hassles of the record company, the costs of production and marketing and hopefully sell enough digital content to make a career.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

First impressions:

Not quite as good I was hoping for but still a decent record.  Ghosts is the best song on the album.  Burnin' Train very good. Quite like I'll see you in my dreams. 

One Minute You're Here is a bit meh - D&D outtake.   Too much going on in Rainmaker. 

The old songs all work well in my opinion. Arguably they save the record.

Nothing wrong with Bruce's vocals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So to recap:

Album reveal: Leaked one day before announcement

Album itself: Leaked a week and a day before release

Documentary review: out there a week before

I wonder if the album is actually dropping tomorrow. Never heard of a review embargo going up a week out, a few days out maybe. At the earliest the Monday before release.

• Like 1

Heading into lockdown #2 tomorrow, feeling pretty shit about it all, I was actually wishing the album was coming out this weekend. So, I’m taking the leak, turning it up loud. 

I’ll buy the album on release, so no harm done 

51 minutes ago, Growin' Up said:

First impressions:

Not quite as good I was hoping for but still a decent record.  Ghosts is the best song on the album.  Burnin' Train very good. Quite like I'll see you in my dreams. 

One Minute You're Here is a bit meh - D&D outtake.   Too much going on in Rainmaker. 

The old songs all work well in my opinion. Arguably they save the record.

Nothing wrong with Bruce's vocals.

Agree with this. 

28 minutes ago, the highway is alive said:

rainmaker doesn't sound like it was recorded in 2019. Probably 00s

That is probably correct, I want to guess they may have just made minor changes to the track, I haven't heard it, so who knows :) 

5 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

Absolutely - and the "full album" has been shared before this morning, but it does seem as if the dam has broken and it is flooding the neighborhoods ;)

As a newsworthy item, this thread is fine, and if people want it they can find it - (please be safe and don't download without virus checks)

But we (obviously) will not allow any linking to places where it can be downloaded until there is an official way to get this music

And please no posts saying "PLEASE SEND IT TO ME" either, if you want it, it is easily found

Thanks everyone, for understanding that

And please no posts saying "PLEASE SEND IT TO ME" either, if you want it, it is easily found

24 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I remember when the tinny mp3 of Magic released a week or so before release. Really wished I hadn’t heard it as the CD sounded so much better. 

That's why some don't like Magic as that was the first and only time they've listened to it and refuse to again based on that

I have very rarely if ever been disappointed with whatever he's put out as a whole, maybe some songs here & there--as most on this site probably havent either. In the past Id have jumped at the chance for an early listen but now Id rather wait for that day, have the package in my hands & listen with the lyrics the way it was meant. I think I can come to appreciate the album quicker this way. 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Rainmaker my least favourite so far. Can’t quite get into that one.

Opener is a nice little intro although it’s very Joad like in the vocal. 

Don’t think I can pick a fault with Burnin’ Train through to House of A Thousand Guitars. Really like them all.

Some great lyrics in 1000 Guiitars, particularly the one about the bitter and the bored searching for the lost chord. 

Janey is another level of good. 

Priest is just mind blowing.

Orphans - least favourite of the older songs but fun to hear it with the band. 

I’ll See You In My Dreams is a really nice closer. 

Some album this.

• Like 3

A friend of mine got his hands on it and invited me over this morning and surprised me with it. Here are my thoughts:

One Minute You’re here:

The song starts off with a picking acoustic reminiscent of “Blood Brothers”. Bruce’s vocals are soft and finishes off each phrase with “One minute you’re here. Next minute you’re gone”. The song sounds like it would have fit on “Devils and Dust”. Pretty short song. I’m not sure I would have had it as an opening track but hey, it’s not my album.

Letter to You:

We’ve all heard it. Moving on

Burnin’ Train:

A very quick whirl of the organ to an overdriven/distorted guitar. Not in your face but it’s there. Quick repeating bass drum. This one reminds me of “Real World” melody and music wise but still, there is something different to it. The song showcases a little bit of Bruce’s vocal range in the way “Frankie fell in Love” did. The guitar solo has Little Steven written all of it. Solid tune. 

Janey needs a Shooter:

Admittedly, I’ve never listen to the three older songs until I finally looked them up on YouTube. From what I can tell, this version is slightly faster. It has “Darkness” era written all over it which is when I believe is when he wrote recorded it? The song reminds me of “The Promise” with parts of the melody reminds me of “Candy’s Boy” from “The Promise” box set. I really dig the harmonica solo. 

Last Man Standing:

This is the song featured on the trailer for Letter to You.  Again, this song is reminiscent of the “Darkness” era. The low end guitar lead is what does it along with a sax solo. Rhythm has a “Prove it all Night” feel. It’s cool to hear Bruce shouting cues to the band in the mix. Another excellent song.

The Power of Prayer:

Starting off with a nice piano intro before the band slams in with Bruce’s vocals. The melody is great. The song could have been on “Working on a Dream”. Low end guitar solo matches the sax solo. A very nice love song with a mid tempo. One of my favorites.

House of a Thousand guitars:

The piano intro and melody reminds me of a song that I can’t quite remember. Once again, a low end guitar solo plays the melody. Bruce references the house of a thousand guitars as a church of Rock n Roll. The outro is written to be played for an infinite amount of time live. It ends with Bruce singing quietly and repeating “House of a thousand guitars” over and over. It’s an ok song in my opinion but far from his best. 

Rainmaker:

Starts with a slide on acoustic guitar with the piano playing the same two chords ringing out.  The music in the chorus reminds me of the instrumental part of “Into the Fire” the lyrics remind me of “Sugarland”. I absolutely love the growl in Bruce’s voice as he holds on the end of the lyric “Rainmakerrrrrrrr”. This is probably my 2nd favorite song.

If I was the Priest:

Upon YouTubing the original, this version is a little faster and Bruce’s vocals soar. It has the same chord progression you’d find on so many pop songs. Think “I’m goin Down” but slower. I really like it. 

Ghosts:

Again, we’ve all heard it. Probably the hardest rocking song on the album.

Song for Orphans:

The intro remind me of the intro from “”My City of Ruins” but with the harmonica from “The Promise” version of “Racing in the Street”. I really like it. Another callback to the “Darkness” era with a tinge of the “Born to Run” era. Very nice song! 

I’ll see you in my Dreams:

I hear the “Working in a Dream” album all over this while it still brings something I can’t place my thumb on. I hear very small traces of “Book of Dreams” in the melody. A nice song about looking back. While he sings about having someone’s guitar by his bed, I also can’t help but think Bruce is realizing his own mortality and singing to us as well. I love the line “For death is not the end. I’ll see you in my dreams.”. The song ends but for a barely audible piano and Bruce singing “I’ll see you in my Dreams” slowly and the piano hitting one last high note. A very nice closing song to the album. 

Overall, I love it. Please bare in mind, these are just my opinions as I’m sure people will either agree or disagree with me. It’s classic E Street.  Even if this is the last E Street album we get, it’s a fitting send off. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

MY REVIEW:

One Minute You’re Here - Don't be fooled by the quiet start, as soon as it fades out, Max pounds the drums leading us into...

Letter to You - we've all heard it, but it's much better in the context of the album, and serving as a true opener after the short acoustic OMYH

Burnin’ Train - holy shit! I literally broke my headphones cranking this one up. This ROCKS. 

Janey Needs a Shooter - Burnin' Train into Janey is my favorite part of the entire album. Perhaps I'm biased because this is my favorite of all previously unreleased outtakes, but this just made my day. Smiling ear to ear. Max and Charlie steal the show with an epic drum and organ intro... but as the song progresses, all E Street members shine, from the guitar and harmonica solos in the bridge to Bruce's vocals on the "I know her style" refrain

Last Man Standing - nice mid-tempo song about the Castilles, as we know from the countless other reviews. As someone previously mentioned, the sax is awesome and my favorite part of the song.

The Power of Prayer - reminds me a bit of I'll Work for Your Love. Starts with a beautiful Roy intro before the band kicks in and it becomes a strong mid-tempo rock song.

House of a Thousand Guitars - surprised that a song about "1000 guitars" starts with an extended piano intro... but the song isn't bad. Just not expected. As the Rolling Stones article mentioned, nice lyrical callbacks to Jungleland, and with DITD

Rainmaker - LOVE IT

If I Was the Priest - after an almost false ending, Max rolls the drums and the entire band kicks in, harmonies and all, for an epic ending to an epic song. One of the highlights of the album. Holy shit.

Ghosts - we all know it. Every time I hear it I just get more and more excited about hearing this one live. Made for the stage.

Song for Orphans - probably the weakest of the old songs, but still great. Will be listening to this one more than the D&D archive release version, which is saying something because that version is jaw dropping.

I’ll See You in my Dreams - best and most powerful album closer since... I don't know... maybe The Rising?

Overall: EPIC album!

• Like 2

Holy Shit!!!!

”If I Was the Priest” Is amazing.  The vocals are pure Bruce, just awesome.  Best recording of his in a while, in my opinion.  Wow.  Blown away!

Album is full of good songs, not a bad one in the bunch.  He sounds great.  Tons of rocking band music, lots of melody, and plenty of growers once we learn the tune and words.  

Very nice album.  

Thank you again, Bruce!!!!

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1