Greasy Lake Community

"Letter to you"-album has leaked

There are some versions on a video sharing website where someone has isolated the vocals, presumably to stop automatic systems picking up the use of copyrighted material. I can't even be bothered to listen to versions that have been butchered like that. I'll wait a week.

• Like 2
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I think everyone just needs to chill out and be happy we have new music!

Perhaps viewing a thread titled 'letter to you album has leaked' isn't the right thing to be looking at if you don't want to read stuff about the album. 

I go back to my favourite line ever on GL. When Magic leaked two weeks before release there was a similar thread to this, and someone asked 'how are you having a discussion about the new album -

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Idiot'sDelight said:

I can’t find it and I’m supposed to be the age that knows how to use the internet. 

I can find it, but not anywhere I'm confident is safe to download from.

Waiting one more week won't hurt.

• Like 2

On my fourth spin. The title track (a grower since its release), "Burnin' Train" and "Rainmaker" are my current standouts. "Prayer" (despite the sax solo) and "Thousand Guitars" could easily be dropped. It's nice to have the old songs but I'm not blown away by them yet.

13 hours ago, Moegreene1 said:

I have very rarely if ever been disappointed with whatever he's put out as a whole, maybe some songs here & there--as most on this site probably havent either. In the past Id have jumped at the chance for an early listen but now Id rather wait for that day, have the package in my hands & listen with the lyrics the way it was meant. I think I can come to appreciate the album quicker this way. 

You're too busy straightening out Fredo anyways

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nick21 said:

On my fourth spin. The title track (a grower since its release), "Burnin' Train" and "Rainmaker" are my current standouts. "Prayer" (despite the sax solo) and "Thousand Guitars" could easily be dropped. It's nice to have the old songs but I'm not blown away by them yet.

Can not get into Rainmaker at all.

The rest I think are pretty great. Even LTY works better as part of it although I’d have both the singles down at the bottom of the pile. 

Janey could be amongst my favourite ever studio pieces. Vocal is spellbinding on it. Same goes for Priest.

That little trio of Last Man, Prayer and Guitars are great modern day Bruce tracks that really work. Sax on Prayer is Bobby Jean like.

Having been a bit mixed on his studio work since Joad (Magic apart) I’m delighted by how much I rate this and Western Stars.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

Can not get into Rainmaker at all.

Same here. Which is a shame as it starts off good, but then just descends into Seegersessionsesque noise and clatter.  The violin / fiddle is unnecessary and only serves to mask what are probably the strongest lyrics of the 'new' songs. 

18 minutes ago, the highway is alive said:

last man standing > power of prayer > thousand guitars is a snooze fest

Not as good as  Tooth and Nail > Between Heaven and Earth > Nancy's Bar?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

top: janey needs, burnin' train, power of prayer, ghosts, letter to you, if I was the priest

not bad: last man standing, rainmaker, i'll see you in my dreams, songs for orphans

bad: one minute here to you, house of thouosand guitars

great sound! great drums and guitars... not so good melody

some songs was certainly recorded years ago (janey, burnin', priest)

6 minutes ago, Nicola said:

top: janey needs, burnin' train, power of prayer, ghosts, letter to you, if I was the priest

not bad: last man standing, rainmaker, i'll see you in my dreams, songs for orphans

bad: one minute here to you, house of thouosand guitars

great sound! great drums and guitars... not so good melody

some songs was certainly recorded years ago (janey, burnin', priest)

I only thought One Minute and Rainmaker sounded like older recordings. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Not as good as  Tooth and Nail > Between Heaven and Earth > Nancy's Bar?

as we all know bruce has many albums in flux at once.....he does not work linerarly. the tracklist i reported on is accurate BUT Likely 4 anther album.

u can sit and whine about it or beleve me...i dont give a F**K!!!!!

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

I can find it, but not anywhere I'm confident is safe to download from.

Waiting one more week won't hurt.

We've lost nearly a year of our lives, but it has been a cracking year for albums to see us through. I'm glad that I have this lovely album a week ahead of time. I always buy two vinyl copies so it keeps my conscience clear.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1
4 hours ago, Karembu said:

Going to wait until next week but love reading the reviews!  2 questions if I may:

Anyone able to post The Times album review?  Needs a copy and paste a snap behind a paywall.

Janey is literally the outtake I have been waiting for above all others... is it really as close to the 78/79 arrangement as Rolling Stone suggests?  There is talk of a harp solo where the bootleg outtake circulating has a guitar solo for example...

Ta

It's nowhere near as heavy and grungey as the 78 version, but it is loud and it is great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, the highway is alive said:

as we all know bruce has many albums in flux at once.....he does not work linerarly. the tracklist i reported on is accurate BUT Likely 4 anther album.

u can sit and whine about it or beleve me...i dont give a F**K!!!!!

What about that lyric that suggested he was goddamn proud to be an american or something?

Tracks 4??

Just now, Promise61 said:

Oh, and after further listens, I feel that the sax has been shoehorned in. Not really required.

I wish there were a couple of epic sax solos .... But lately all the sax does is completely copy the melody .... There are no original brilliant sax solos....so in that case i agree its not needed :(   ....But i wish there were one or two solos that raised the song to another level the way the crowd blew up when Clarence came out front for The Ties That Bind. 

I feel like the Harmonica comes closest to that spirit on this record.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Early North Jersey said:

I wish there were a couple of epic sax solos .... But lately all the sax does is completely copy the melody .... There are no original brilliant sax solos....so in that case i agree its not needed :(   ....But i wish there were one or two solos that raised the song to another level the way the crowd blew up when Clarence came out front for The Ties That Bind. 

I feel like the Harmonica comes closest to that spirit on this record.

The harmonica solo in Janey might be his best in the studio since The River 

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1
5 hours ago, Lambkin said:

Hi - It's Steve - I run the GreasyLake twitter account. I reposting this on this channel as I can see it's dropping down the forum list....

I just want to apologise to the community for getting into a Twitter spat last night with Amy, which some of you may have seen. Things - as they can do on Twitter - get a little heated, and I regret that.

I've said sorry to Amy publicly and privately, and I've deleted two tweets that I'm not proud of... I'm also sorry if I embarrassed the Greasy Lake community, and I've apologised this morning to Karsten.

Twitter on most days is lovely, but on some days it can get a little toxic. I should have known better, but I hope we can get back to what's important, which is focusing on the music.

Thank you.

Fair enough Steve. A sincere apology should be taken as such. (Even if you did block me on twitter with another blast of profanities a few weeks ago) 

4 hours ago, Karembu said:

Going to wait until next week but love reading the reviews!  2 questions if I may:

Anyone able to post The Times album review?  Needs a copy and paste a snap behind a paywall.

Janey is literally the outtake I have been waiting for above all others... is it really as close to the 78/79 arrangement as Rolling Stone suggests?  There is talk of a harp solo where the bootleg outtake circulating has a guitar solo for example...

Ta

The best line from the Times Review: 

To mislay not one but three masterpieces for almost 50 years does seem careless, but 1971’s loss is 2020’s gain.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 3
  • Bruuuuce! 2