Greasy Lake Community

"Letter to you"-album has leaked

I like it -

It is such a treat to have this new music just months on from Western Stars.

The old tracks are new to me cos TBH I struggle with all Kittys Back lovefest  and some of the other early stuff.

For my penance I have Janey needs a shooter now ....... absolutely ear worm stuck and I   :wub:   it !

Roll on 23rd when I can get my mitts on it for proper .

• Like 7
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I think everyone just needs to chill out and be happy we have new music!

Perhaps viewing a thread titled 'letter to you album has leaked' isn't the right thing to be looking at if you don't want to read stuff about the album. 

I go back to my favourite line ever on GL. When Magic leaked two weeks before release there was a similar thread to this, and someone asked 'how are you having a discussion about the new album -

Posted Images

The reworked tracks are new to me too. ‘Janey’ is Bruce turned up to eleven, it’s so damn good. ‘Orphans’ sounds like an out-take off Highway 61 revisited and I mean that as a huge compliment. The closer made me do a little cry. Only problem now is I’m absolutely desperate for a E street fix.

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, risingaurora said:

Fair enough Steve. A sincere apology should be taken as such. (Even if you did block me on twitter with another blast of profanities a few weeks ago) 

Oh no, I'm sorry I blocked you - Twitter can get crazy, so sometimes I often just have a moment.  Please let me know your handle and I'll unblock you - if you want that is!

• Like 1

Totally love the album but if I was to have a go at re-sequencing it (which I kinda have on 4th listen) I would go for 10 tracks and 2 b-sides

Side 1

House of a Thousand Guitars

Last Man Standing

Burning Train

Janey Needs A Shooter

Ghosts

Side 2

If I Was The Priest

Letter To You

Power Of Prayer

Rainmaker

Song For Orphans

Singles

Janey Needs a Shooter b/w One Minute You're Here

Ghosts b/w I'll See You In My Dreams

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I love all these reviews, as I'll be looking for all these different comments when listening next week. Thanks! 

I will be with you.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Growin' Up said:

Same here. Which is a shame as it starts off good, but then just descends into Seegersessionsesque noise and clatter.  The violin / fiddle is unnecessary and only serves to mask what are probably the strongest lyrics of the 'new' songs. 

I'm drooling. I love Brucie with fiddles.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Elbow said:

7.5/10? Did he hear the fiddles? I guess not.

I did hear a fiddle, but didn't mention it in this write-up - not to worry though, I'll be talking about specific instrumentals in the documentary review. 

For what it's worth, 7.5 is a solid rating for me. It's .5 higher than what I gave Western Stars, and I really like that album... now.

• Like 2

First of all, thanks.  You know who you are. :)

To be honest, I haven't been able to just sit and listen to the album in it's entirety.  But if I had to pick the one song that stands out the most it would be Priest.  I played that one a few times already.  It sounds really really good.  Janey stands out too.  It doesn't surprise me that it's the old songs that I gravitate to the most.

I have to say though that it seems like a couple of these songs could have easily fit on Western Stars with more orchestration and less rock and roll.  Maybe a couple of leftovers with a little tweaking?

So far, until I get to listen more, on the whole I think the album is good.  It doesn't blow me away but I'm glad we get new music from E Street.

Also, I'll still be buying the album on release date.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, dreamoutlouder said:

It has not leaked yet because google does not say so and google is always right. Contact me if you think I am wrong ;-)

Welcome to the Lake.  Nice 1st post.

I won't be contacting you because I don't think you are wrong, I know you are wrong.

4 minutes ago, burghfan said:

Welcome to the Lake.  Nice 1st post.

I won't be contacting you because I don't think you are wrong, I know you are wrong.

Thanks joind in 2006 but was off a while. Im pretty sure I wrote some stupid lines a couple of years ago. Maybe that got lost with the database crash ... or was that on spl ... cant remember 

14 minutes ago, dreamoutlouder said:

Thanks joind in 2006 but was off a while. Im pretty sure I wrote some stupid lines a couple of years ago. Maybe that got lost with the database crash ... or was that on spl ... cant remember 

I didn't check out your profile before I posted so I didn't see that you joined in 2006.  But that doesn't mean that I don't know that you are wrong.  Now maybe if you had been around and posting I would explain how to find what you are looking for.

4 hours ago, Johan14Cruyff said:

The reworked tracks are new to me too. ‘Janey’ is Bruce turned up to eleven, it’s so damn good. ‘Orphans’ sounds like an out-take off Highway 61 revisited and I mean that as a huge compliment. The closer made me do a little cry. Only problem now is I’m absolutely desperate for a E street fix.

I have not heard the album yet, holding off till release date.

Interesting what you say about the old songs. As a bit of a Bruce junkie I have known these songs for a long time but I was intrigued by Bruce's decision to record them with the band and put them on a record nearly 50 years after they were written. If I was the Priest I have always loved as a song. It's incredibly intense...Bruce was rumoured to have said that he would never play it live. Song for Orphans is lyrically brilliant, very Dylan like as you say. Janey needs a shooter it took a long time for me to fully appreciate it but I am looking forward to hearing the up to date version

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Marnix said:

I am curious how long it takes the documentary is floating around 

I actually thought that it was going to be. Which is why I think that it wasn't a reviewer that leaked the album. They probably would have shared the doc somewhere without even thinking.

I think the leak was a CD copy shipped out early.

• Like 1