Greasy Lake Community

"Letter to you"-album has leaked

11 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

Yes. Multiple formats. If a leaked mp3 is this good I can only imagine what the hq official release will sound like.

This is why I haven’t listened to it. I want my first hearing to be the high resolution 24 bit download in better than cd quality. I’m sure the mp3 is ok, but it just doesn’t feel right yet. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I think everyone just needs to chill out and be happy we have new music!

Perhaps viewing a thread titled 'letter to you album has leaked' isn't the right thing to be looking at if you don't want to read stuff about the album. 

I go back to my favourite line ever on GL. When Magic leaked two weeks before release there was a similar thread to this, and someone asked 'how are you having a discussion about the new album -

Posted Images

I go back to my favourite line ever on GL.

When Magic leaked two weeks before release there was a similar thread to this, and someone asked 'how are you having a discussion about the new album - it's not out yet!'

To which some wag (who were you??) replied - 'We're livin in the Future, none of this has happened yet'

:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
1 hour ago, jmw said:

Will all those of you who have heard it, still be buying it?

Hopefully Sainsbury' s will have it early next Friday morning.

It was a surprise send to me last night and the hubby was gone overnight so perfect timing. I have the CD on order and it's arriving next Friday but I'll be out of town so I've been enjoying listening to it early. I am old fashioned, I want a physical format even if I listen online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

I wish there were a couple of epic sax solos .... But lately all the sax does is completely copy the melody .... There are no original brilliant sax solos....so in that case i agree its not needed :(   ....But i wish there were one or two solos that raised the song to another level the way the crowd blew up when Clarence came out front for The Ties That Bind. 

I feel like the Harmonica comes closest to that spirit on this record.

Between  you and me i would have liked some  cow bell 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jmw said:

Will all those of you who have heard it, still be buying it?

Hopefully Sainsbury' s will have it early next Friday morning.

Yes !

Dedinatly

I need a physical copy

Ill also by the vinyl in time

But now i don't have to worry about working out how to get a cd into my phone 

Despite my best and often frustrating efforts and best laid plans i never mamage to get new music on its release day and this year was shaping up the be similar with courier deliveries being pathetically slow due to covid

So im happy and greatful to know have the albun to listen to 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Lambkin said:

Hi - It's Steve - I run the GreasyLake twitter account. I reposting this on this channel as I can see it's dropping down the forum list....

I just want to apologise to the community for getting into a Twitter spat last night with Amy, which some of you may have seen. Things - as they can do on Twitter - get a little heated, and I regret that.

I've said sorry to Amy publicly and privately, and I've deleted two tweets that I'm not proud of... I'm also sorry if I embarrassed the Greasy Lake community, and I've apologised this morning to Karsten.

Twitter on most days is lovely, but on some days it can get a little toxic. I should have known better, but I hope we can get back to what's important, which is focusing on the music.

Thank you.

I'm joining Twitter right fuckin now! 

If you guys want me to take over the account, I'm willing to do so. 

• Haha 7
5 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I'm joining Twitter right fuckin now! 

If you guys want me to take over the account, I'm willing to do so. 

Go for it Jimmy

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

This is why I haven’t listened to it. I want my first hearing to be the high resolution 24 bit download in better than cd quality. I’m sure the mp3 is ok, but it just doesn’t feel right yet. 

I'm reminded of all those magical Phil Spector singles from the 60s. Foggy wall of sound, but just about the greatest music ever made. Sometimes a great song is great just because it's great.

If Agadoo was remastered in the best HD HQ mega bit sound quality ever, it would still be Agadoo ;)

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

If Agadoo was remastered in the best HD HQ mega bit sound quality ever, it would still be Agadoo ;)

You mean it hasn't been? :o

Good album! I enjoyed all the songs. Ghosts is still my favorite and Letter to you has grown quite a lot for me.

The other songs I liked the most on first listen: I'll see you in my dreams, If I was the priest, The Power of prayer, One minute you're here, Song for Orphans and Janey needs a shooter.
The song I liked the least: Last man standing.
House of a thousand guitars had a promising title and pre-album hype but it didn't live up to it. It's okay but it's my second least favorite on the album.

Overall the album is pretty even quality-wise, but the biggest problem I have with it, which has been present for a long time now in Bruce's career, is that there are more or less no memorable choruses on it. Ghosts has no doubt the best chorus on the album so it's not surprising to me that that song is my favorite on it.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

I'm reminded of all those magical Phil Spector singles from the 60s. Foggy wall of sound, but just about the greatest music ever made. Sometimes a great song is great just because it's great.

Fair point, but by the same token if those Spector singles were available in far better quality a week later 60 years ago, a lot of people would have waited to hear them as well. 

• Like 1

I don't know how any of you navigate the web and find legitimate sites to trust.
All I keep finding are just seeds blowing up the highway in the south wind...

Nevertheless, these reviews are getting me beyond excited to listen. Seems to be unanimous praise.

5 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

There's also a FLAC leak out there somewhere :ph34r:

5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Is that a negative or positive review? :P 

I think that if somebody said Letter to You was as good as Western Stars I would have the same question.

1 hour ago, burghfan said:

I think that if somebody said Letter to You was as good as Western Stars I would have the same question.

True, but musically Western Stars was not Bruce. Letter to You is the most Bruce that Bruce has sounded since... Lucky Town? I anticipate a lot of "good but not as good as _____" comments but nothing too negative. Has its high and low points but overall a truly epic album, his best in years.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I don't mind listening early to a leaked album. Bottom line, I am a lifelong, loyal fan of Bruce and Band and I have purchased the physical media(s) every time. This one is no different. I have mine on pre order and I patiently await my official copy. But given the chance to hear it early, I took it

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
9 hours ago, Promise61 said:

That's because you haven't listened to it in 88 bit sound quality streamed over the QRTY2000 you philistine.

If you do, it's like the sound of golden honey trickling into your ears. 

11 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Fair point, but by the same token if those Spector singles were available in far better quality a week later 60 years ago, a lot of people would have waited to hear them as well. 

Funnily enough, some boffin has somehow put HQ versions of some of those songs on YT, in stereo. They sound strange in upgraded sound quality.

2 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Funnily enough, some boffin has somehow put HQ versions of some of those songs on YT, in stereo. They sound strange in upgraded sound quality.

It’s like cleaning up the visuals on some old 80s horror movie.

Part of the joy was in the dirt. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1