Greasy Lake Community

"Letter to you"-album has leaked

5 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

True, but musically Western Stars was not Bruce. Letter to You is the most Bruce that Bruce has sounded since... Lucky Town? I anticipate a lot of "good but not as good as _____" comments but nothing too negative. Has its high and low points but overall a truly epic album, his best in years.

I thought Western Stars was musically 100% Bruce...he just added a lot of orchestration to enhance the great songs on it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I think everyone just needs to chill out and be happy we have new music!

Perhaps viewing a thread titled 'letter to you album has leaked' isn't the right thing to be looking at if you don't want to read stuff about the album. 

I go back to my favourite line ever on GL. When Magic leaked two weeks before release there was a similar thread to this, and someone asked 'how are you having a discussion about the new album -

Posted Images

7 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

True, but musically Western Stars was not Bruce. Letter to You is the most Bruce that Bruce has sounded since... Lucky Town? I anticipate a lot of "good but not as good as _____" comments but nothing too negative. Has its high and low points but overall a truly epic album, his best in years.

See, I thought Western Stars was musically 100% Bruce...he just added some stunning orchestration arrangements to what were already wonderful songs. It certainly was a different type of album to his usual, but for me was still Springsteen in every way.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, MacBruce said:

See, I thought Western Stars was musically 100% Bruce...he just added some stunning orchestration arrangements to what were already wonderful songs. It certainly was a different type of album to his usual, but for me was still Springsteen in every way.

Lyrically yes, and it's honestly one of my favorite Springsteen albums. The song arrangements don't sound like Bruce to me though, and is definitely different than his usual style like you said. I could go on and on though about how the songs themselves (lyrically and thematically) are the most Bruce songs out there.

13 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

Well, I would let Bruce decide what is "Bruce" and what is not, unless we define "Bruce" as the unfiltered sound of the live E Street Band brought into a recording studio. And in this respect, I would be hard pressed to find a truly "Bruce" album in his whole cataloge, except maybe for The River and part of Born in the USA.  For sure albums like Greetings, TWIESSDarknessNebraska, TOL, and none of his solo projects would fit this "Bruce" definition, which would makes little sense to me. Or, is it the "three chord, verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus" rocker that makes it "Bruce"? Either way, it is a pretty reductive take on Bruces's music, IMHO.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

Agree wholeheartedly, Frank. People have the sound of BTR and Darkness/River in mind when they hear "Bruce". IMO this is a terrible mistake because he's never going to write those records again. He has already written them.

IMO, there are no two Springsteen albums that sound alike, so "Bruce" is really what Bruce Springsteen thinks/shoots for/aims at.

• Like 5
43 minutes ago, NoneButTheBrave said:

Agree wholeheartedly, Frank. People have the sound of BTR and Darkness/River in mind when they hear "Bruce". IMO this is a terrible mistake because he's never going to write those records again. He has already written them.

IMO, there are no two Springsteen albums that sound alike, so "Bruce" is really what Bruce Springsteen thinks/shoots for/aims at.

I think the only two Bruce records that sound very similar are Darkness and The River, probably because many of the songs for both were written or rehearsed around the same time. 

As we know, a lot of casual listeners think of Bruce as his 1985 bandana and white shirt caricature. I think the "Bruce" sound people associate with him and heartland rock comes from artists like him and Mellencamp around that era. So casual fans are looking for pounding drums and wide-open guitars that evoke the 80s, while hardcore fans are looking for that wall-of-sound, poetic 70s Bruce that, in hindsight, was only a brief 5 year flash in his long career. Sets a lot of people up for disappointment for each release that is not either of those two things.

• Like 3

5th listen today and I've gone back to listening to it in it's correct order - it's fricking brilliant. It's the kind of album you can lose your entire self inside for an hour.

That to me is the essence of a great Springsteen album

Can't wait to get my hands on a physical copy

10 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

It’s like cleaning up the visuals on some old 80s horror movie.

Part of the joy was in the dirt. 

Classic !

Unfortunately I'll never remember it when i have the opportunity to quote you 

8 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Its like every new album sounds like Bruce Springsteen just usually in a way we havn't heard before 

• Like 2

I'm off work on Friday, loads of holiday days left thanks to you-know-what.

So, it'll be Bruce day.

Vinyl is going to a mate who had a deal so might not get it on Friday, so ordered cd from Amazon to arrive on the day.

Happened to change my iphone recently so have A+ free - downloaded app on firestick so good to go there.

bring it on.

• Like 2

Just through  my old Samsung galaxy 6 i have found the sound exceptionally pleasing so i would think no one will be dissapointed when they get the offical product 

Max and Charlie are stand outs but also Garry 

These days there's not the same worry about whether the CD will turn up on time. If it doesn't, its still possible to listen to the album on YouTube, Spotify etc.

I ordered from base.com as Amazon deliver to the wrong street (not just the wrong house, but the actual wrong street. They get the house number right though), and base are pretty good at getting new releases sent out to arrive on time.

• Like 1
Just now, Born To Walk said:

These days there's not the same worry about whether the CD will turn up on time. If it doesn't, its still possible to listen to the album on YouTube, Spotify etc.

I ordered from base.com as Amazon deliver to the wrong street (not just the wrong house, but the actual wrong street. They get the house number right though), and base are pretty good at getting new releases sent out to arrive on time.

Maybe in the land of sticky buns and lashings of ginger beer but not here in the dominions 

2 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Remember the days of cdwow? Early disruptors, bought loads from them back in the day

1 minute ago, slane85 said:

Remember the days of cdwow? Early disruptors, bought loads from them back in the day

They used to be really good but it got nasty. The site was sold and the new owners refused to honour any orders placed before they took over.

There also used to be Play.com, who were also good. The choice is so much more limited now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
10 hours ago, MacBruce said:

I thought Western Stars was musically 100% Bruce...he just added a lot of orchestration to enhance the great songs on it.

Yes. Western Stars was totally  Bruce. 

It was not Bruce and the ESB, but absolutely Bruce. And beautiful.

• Like 4
  • Hug 1
8 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

They used to be really good but it got nasty. The site was sold and the new owners refused to honour any orders placed before they took over.

There also used to be Play.com, who were also good. The choice is so much more limited now.

Yes remember that now. And play.com. Mid 2000s

There was also a lad who I got blank cds from, really cheap compared to the shops. He had a cottage industry in them, great for the bootlegs.....how times have changed so quickly

3 minutes ago, NorthSideJimmy said:

Yes. Western Stars was totally  Bruce. 

It was not Bruce and the ESB, but absolutely Bruce. And beautiful.

Wow - there's a handle I haven't seen for some time! How are things Jim? Meath scored 19 points against you lads tonight and still lost!

Great win for the minors earlier tho

Song for Orphans:

I've not heard the original/boots so maybe it always sounded like this/this is how people thought it would sound if properly worked up in the studio but hearing this is like, 50 years later, he's finally out-Dylaned Dylan. Maybe Bruce got tired of waiting for Bob to quit?  I have no idea what the lyrics are about but the whole thing is magnificent nonsense. The sound is extraordinary in the best possible way. Brilliant 

Ghosts:

Fantastic - I really like the radio edit but the longer version is better.

One quibble, almost all the album acknowledges friends, family, band members who have died but who are still there with him every step. Remember - "He didn't leave the band when he died, he leaves the band when we all die"

Maybe it's the front man ego that compelled him to write/sing,

I'm alive and I'm out here on my own

Wouldn't, "I'm alive, but I'm not here on my own" better reflect the idea that the Ghosts of all those that helped him to where he is are up there on stage every night/in the studio?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Maybe in the land of sticky buns and lashings of ginger beer but not here in the dominions 

Nah Amazon sucks here too in the U.S. They're terrible and best avoided at all costs.

No need to make the richest man in the world richer (Jeff Bezos could actually end world hunger, since it's 11 billion a year to end that, and he has over 175 billion dollars. He's evil, has no heart. All the smaller businesses went out of business while Amazon stole what would have been their money basically. He's gotten 74 BILLION dollars richer while people lost their businesses and got poorer.)

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Frank said:

Well, I would let Bruce decide what is "Bruce" and what is not, unless we define "Bruce" as the unfiltered sound of the live E Street Band brought into a recording studio. And in this respect, I would be hard pressed to find a truly "Bruce" album in his whole cataloge, except maybe for The River and part of Born in the USA.  For sure albums like Greetings, TWIESSDarknessNebraska, TOL, and none of his solo projects would fit this "Bruce" definition, which would makes little sense to me. Or, is it the "three chord, verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus" rocker that makes it "Bruce"? Either way, it is a pretty reductive take on Bruces's music, IMHO.

Like I said, I consider "Western Stars" one of his best albums, and one of the most "Bruce" ones in his entire catalogue. It's just that, until that album, the 70s orchestral country western sound wasn't something I associated with him at all (which is what I feel the people who don't like Western Stars don't like about it). It's not an E Street record. And it's not the starkness of other solo records (Nebraska, GOTJ). It's a brilliant album, but I feel as though it stands apart from the rest of his catalogue. The "Western Stars" film is tied with Tempe as my favorite Bruce documentation of all time, but I can't picture any of the songs working on an E Street stage. 

• Love Love Love! 1