Greasy Lake Community

"Letter to you"-album has leaked

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I think everyone just needs to chill out and be happy we have new music!

Perhaps viewing a thread titled 'letter to you album has leaked' isn't the right thing to be looking at if you don't want to read stuff about the album. 

I go back to my favourite line ever on GL. When Magic leaked two weeks before release there was a similar thread to this, and someone asked 'how are you having a discussion about the new album -

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sleepyjoe said:

Like I said, I consider "Western Stars" one of his best albums, and one of the most "Bruce" ones in his entire catalogue. It's just that, until that album, the 70s orchestral country western sound wasn't something I associated with him at all (which is what I feel the people who don't like Western Stars don't like about it). It's not an E Street record. And it's not the starkness of other solo records (Nebraska, GOTJ). It's a brilliant album, but I feel as though it stands apart from the rest of his catalogue. The "Western Stars" film is tied with Tempe as my favorite Bruce documentation of all time, but I can't picture any of the songs working on an E Street stage. 

Ive just watched rhinestone cowboy from the barn

I grew up listening to Glen Campbell 

I would love the ESB to do that as a cover 

• Like 3

So…after a couple of listens about a week early (:-P), here’s my take on LTY.
Generally, I think it’s a strong late-career album, though not on par with Western Stars. While there’s not a „bad song“ on the record and it’s sequenced very well, I believe there were some less-than-good-choices being made that actually deteriorated the album’s quality.

One Minute: Really good opener, particularly in conjunction with the closer – sets the frame of transitoriness of existence and the question of life and mortality in general.

LTY – solid first single, but far from being the best song on the record, as usual for Springsteen singles. Establishes the second theme of the album (his reflections on being a musician) quite effectively.

Burnin‘ Train – the first true rocker, nice guitars and rather emblematic lyrics typical of latter-day Bruce, though they’re pretty good. One of those songs that you could release on almost any Bruce record post Joad, but well done, played and sung.

Janey – sounds like the famously raucous rehearsal take from 1979 that I suppose everybody knows. I wonder if they re-recorded the entire song, as the guitars sound just as out-of-tune as on the bootleg. It’s a good song with E Street all over and actually pretty creepy lyrics, but it’s about a minute too long. That „knows her style thing“ at the end is too long and just drags…

Last Man – one of my highlights. This one is close to the man’s heart. Strong lyrics, catchy tune, once again, E Street all over on this. Strong lyrics, too – the line about „counting off the missing as you count off time“ is brilliant.

Power: Very similar to Last Man, classic Bruce inasmuch as it tries to find grandeur and even divinity in the mundane/everyday. Not so well-received on here, it seems, but I’m quite fond of. Very catchy, and superbly sung. If they truly cut this live, I’m not worried about his voice at all.

1000 Guitars:: Where are the guitars on this fucker? I like the sentiment, the lyrics, all that is fine with me. But goddamn it, in the words of the man himself, „turn that motherfucker up as loud as she’ll go“. Plods too much, though I understand its placement in the context of album and specifically the two preceding songs – reflection, motivation, action – I believe that is the narrative this three-pack tries to tell.

Rainmaker – strong, not too subtle lyrics, refreshingly different musical approach reminiscent of The Rising (the album). My only beef with this is the overly elongated „rainmakerrrrrrrr“. Not sure what he was going for here.

Priest – this is amazing. Lyrics are hilarious and the recording is just brilliant.

Ghosts - my favorite. Sounds like Stevie and Bruce told Aniello to go get fries from Mickey D’s and stay out of this song. This is so much fun and, apart from Janey, the most classic-sounding song on the record - it’s got everything a great Springsteen/ESB song needs – heartfelt lyrics, a rousing chorus, count-ins, sax, piano, guitar…and just lots of FUN! If this is not an instant classic, I don’t know what is.

Orphans: I’ve always loved this song and this version is great, but the 2005 acoustic version is the absolute gold standard to my ears. Lyrically, it sets up the end. He’s looking back on his bar-band, hand-to-mouth days and those left behind by the wayside before he closes with

Dreams – nice enough song, but a tad schmaltzy, sounds like it could have been on WOAD. Wonder if that last „I’ll see you in my dreams“ holds any special significance…however, I gotta say this doesn’t hit me emotionally, even though it is the perfectly logical closer.

All in all, I really do enjoy the record…it sounds like Bruce and the E Street Band sound today. When people refer to the „classic E Street sound“, they typically refer to BTR, Darkness and maybe The River, and there are elements of all them. We do have the Wall of Sound, there’s a certain rawness and also the live element that, for instance, defines The River. But, people, he has already written those three records. He’s not going to write them again. Lots of time has passed, and you can hear a lot of influences that have shaped Bruce and the reunion era ESB. So yeah, it does capture E Street – but not the imagined version of it that lots of people seem to want back, whatever that means.
As I said in the beginning, it is a strong late-career album, but I firmly believe his late-career masterpiece is Western Stars. That one will be hard to top.
I would give this one about 7.5 to 8 out of 10 points (for reference, Magic and WS are 9 out of 10)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I personally think this is a stronger album than Western Stars and is better than either The Rising or Magic. There's no throwaway like Sleepy Joe's Cafe or Waiting on a Sunny Day on this album. The only song that seems misplaced is the Rising era Rainmaker but the different tone and slight political edge is welcome on an overall gorgeous celebration of Springsteen's music life and the E Street Band. Song for Orphans is a track that will take me hundreds of listens to crack. A real nod to Dylan, as is the arrangement for several other tracks, and Bruce's vocal style "Priest" in particular which sounds like one of those Dylan tracks that went on for like 25 verses and is indeed stunning, (makes me wonder what the band would do with a studio version of Purple Rain) but there are 6/7 other stunning tracks here and 3/4 that I'd place in the "very good" category that would easily get on Magic or Rising.

It's a 9/10 for me so it's right up there with Born in the USA and not far off Darkness 9.5/10 (my favourite album despite the sound issues), The River 9.5/10 and Born To Run 10/10

• Like 1

So I went searching for this as soon as I heard about the leak ..all I could find were a cpl of songs that isolated the vocals. Not the full record. So now I just wait and read the official and the fan reviews. Overall, it sounds like it’s going to be just fine...

Wow ..... the only album of his I ever heard prior to release was "The Rising". One of the fellows (can’t remember his name) who I saw at every show on the 99/00 tour came over to my apartment in Hackensack with it (CD) and we jammed like never before! I was beyond impressed, still am - with that record.

Perhaps I’m getting old but for some reason nowadays - I don’t like when this shit happens. Oh well ..... hope everyone is happy with it.

Brad

• Like 1
On 10/15/2020 at 12:42 PM, CmonMrTrouble said:

The industry has changed a lot in the last 35 years.  I remember waiting outside the Tower Records store in my area in 1985 and when they opened, I actually had to help them cut open the boxes to get my vinyl and cassette copies the Live 75-85 box set.

Now a lot of artists aren't even creating physical product at all, "download from your favorite music service or from my website" and they save the hassles of the record company, the costs of production and marketing and hopefully sell enough digital content to make a career.

• Haha 1
On 10/16/2020 at 4:27 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

Between  you and me i would have liked some  cow bell 

Wait a sec ..... are you saying there are ZERO sax solos on this album? Not one that follows a quite riff? If that’s the case, there is no way it can sound E Street! Maybe a song can sound E Street, but it’s not about a song - it’s the record! 

Again, if there aren’t a few good sax solos then the album in its entirety can’t be the sound we’ve all come to love! While I love TOL (which the band plays on), "Be True" was needed to make it complete ESB.

Brad

6 minutes ago, BruceHistory said:

Wait a sec ..... are you saying there are ZERO sax solos on this album? Not one that follows a quite riff? If that’s the case, there is no way it can sound E Street! Maybe a song can sound E Street, but it’s not about a song - it’s the record! 

Again, if there aren’t a few good sax solos then the album in its entirety can’t be the sound we’ve all come to love! While I love TOL (which the band plays on), "Be True" was needed to make it complete ESB.

Brad

I have heard sax on the new album

Just no cowbell

MoreCowbellHydePark2009Screenshot.jpg

Had a couple listens to the album now, I love it. A few songs will take time to grow on me I think. I think I hyped up Rainmaker and House of a thousand guitars a bit 

Janey and Priest are absolutely fantastic! Huge fan of these

I was a little disappointed in House of a thousand guitars though

You can almost hear callbacks to past albums, Rainmaker has hints of DnD at the beginning, Power of Prayer sounds like a Magic song almost and the first track is very reminiscent of GoTJ IMO. The guitar in the last track makes me think of Lucky Town too

I really want to like Burnin' Train, it's good but I just can't really get into it

Is he saying you're a thief if you downloaded it, or if you downloaded and shared it, that you are a thief?

Boy there are a lot of crooks on this board, I'm glad I'm not one of you.

Why didn't he address the whole problem of who put it out there to be downloaded?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Is he saying you're a thief if you downloaded it, or if you downloaded and shared it, that you are a thief?

Boy there are a lot of crooks on this board, I'm glad I'm not one of you.

Why didn't he address the whole problem of who put it out there to be downloaded?

I'm with @Jimmy James on being confused by what you need to do to be considered a thief.

What if you downloaded the files, didn't share them, but shared the link that you downloaded from?

What if you didn't download the files, didn't share them, didn't listen to it, but shared the link that you listened from?

• Like 1

Gonna buy it anyway so I'm okay with the fact that I downloaded it. Think this goes for everyone on this board otherwise we wouldn't be here.

I saw that the big torrent sites have it too, now that's a different matter. Once it's leaked it's gonna end up on those sites and people will download it without buying the record next week. But you can't stop that. The album would've ended up there next week too. 

Anyway, they should learn from this and just drop the album when it's finished next time. 

Also, what did they expect after sending out copies for reviews? Bit harsh to call out the people who downloaded it - we're not the ones who leaked it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Agreed.

Also, if being a thief involves buying the three different vinyl options available in the UK and the CD version, then so be it. 

• Like 4

I mean Nils is right, whether we like it or not. It's a commodity, intended for sale on a certain date, and many people instead found ways to get their hands on it that the owner of that commodity does not condone. We do some moral gymnastics ("well I'm gonna buy it anyway") but we know that's just talking ourselves down.

I just don't understand those who would go after Nils, his wife, or any member of the E Street family for being upset at what they view to be theft. I guess there's just a meanness in this world.

• Like 5
31 minutes ago, Perisic said:

Gonna buy it anyway so I'm okay with the fact that I downloaded it. Think this goes for everyone on this board otherwise we wouldn't be here.

I would think and hope this to be true for all here.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1