Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

Memorable first listens?


Recommended Posts

I remember this as if it was a few months ago;

About 30 years ago I was an avid Springsteen concert collector, at the time cassettes were the thing and some of the quality wasn't that great!  A friend of mine was raving about this new bootleg cd he'd got and kept on about going over to listen, on my way with a few beers in hand.  Upon arrival, mate is jumping around in delight, gets me sat in prime position to listen, amp set to almost max, plays just one song on repeat, oh my days.............. the quality, the clarity, the performance, the guitar....... the shivers, the goose-pimples, the smiles, the laughter.... the wonder and amazement................. the cd - Live in the Promised Land (Great Dane Records), the song - Prove it all night, the memories - endless....................    (and I'm still getting some goose-pimples whilst writing this, wow)

  • Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, This is The Way said:

I remember this as if it was a few months ago;

About 30 years ago I was an avid Springsteen concert collector, at the time cassettes were the thing and some of the quality wasn't that great!  A friend of mine was raving about this new bootleg cd he'd got and kept on about going over to listen, on my way with a few beers in hand.  Upon arrival, mate is jumping around in delight, gets me sat in prime position to listen, amp set to almost max, plays just one song on repeat, oh my days.............. the quality, the clarity, the performance, the guitar....... the shivers, the goose-pimples, the smiles, the laughter.... the wonder and amazement................. the cd - Live in the Promised Land (Great Dane Records), the song - Prove it all night, the memories - endless....................    (and I'm still getting some goose-pimples whilst writing this, wow)

Welcome, assume you're a Mandalorian fan ;) ! The feeling is awesome, when you can find something spine-tingling!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Backstreets/Sad Eyes from Atlanta 30.9.1978, without knowing there was such a thing as Sad Eyes, let alone a difference between the 1977 and 1978 versions.

So...I was really unware of it. Just checked but the Blinded By The Light book really does not mention it. At least not in the Cool Rockin' Daddy chapter under Backstreets. This while under Prove It All Night there is a short mention (sort of) of the 'scorching guitar introduction' and also some other noteworthy live variations of songs, like Point Blank 1978 version, Here She Comes introduction to I Wanna Marry You, Tenth Avenue the slow version from 1975, piano solo versions of For You from 1974-1975 and the acoustic live version of No Surrender from the BUSA Tour. But nothing about Sad Eyes.

Of course the whole Atlanta 1978 show (the first 1978 show I heard, obviously) was a memorable first listen. From cassette tapes I bought at a record fair, together with some other Bruce Springsteen & The ESB live tapes (which were also memorable first listens).

Also: the Rendez Vous double vinyl bootleg; finally hearing all those famous Darkness outtakes I had read about -in the Blinded By The Light book, indeed!- but never heard before. Until then. Bonus points for the superb gatefold sleeve and some Bruce pictures on front, back and inner sleeve worthy of inclusion in the Ladies Topic.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to say, hearing This Hard Land, the original version, on a bootleg, had to be in the mid to late 80s, on an LP no less, was quite a thrill. I think that boot had a few other unreleased BITUSA tracks on it, and knowing this was as yet unheard treasure was really cool. Made you feel like you were a real insider then, now with everything,even boots easy to find right here from the keyboard, it isnt so special anymore to hear anything- everyone can hear it now. 

The internet took the fun out of hunting for bootlegs and the cache of being a super fan that you held by tracking down boots the old way, illicit record shops, "record shows" and the like, all gone now. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

November ‘84 I started taping shows so as to have unique “trade bait”. With those resources I grew my boot collection rapidly, and got so many special shows. 

But fast forward to May ‘88. I met another Bruce fan they professional association, and took her to MSG 5/18/88. The next week I received by trade a show I had been seeking ever since I attended it - 8/20/84. We both played hooky from work one afternoon and ended up at my apartment so I could play Drift Away for her. We danced, oh so slow and oh so close. Her name was Sandy.

Yes, I remember that listen. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, StolenCar66 said:

I have to say, hearing This Hard Land, the original version, on a bootleg, had to be in the mid to late 80s, on an LP no less, was quite a thrill. I think that boot had a few other unreleased BITUSA tracks on it, and knowing this was as yet unheard treasure was really cool. Made you feel like you were a real insider then, now with everything,even boots easy to find right here from the keyboard, it isnt so special anymore to hear anything- everyone can hear it now. 

The internet took the fun out of hunting for bootlegs and the cache of being a super fan that you held by tracking down boots the old way, illicit record shops, "record shows" and the like, all gone now. 

Totally agree, the chase of the bootleg used to be so much fun, too easy now, but in a good way...........

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JimCT said:

November ‘84 I started taping shows so as to have unique “trade bait”. With those resources I grew my boot collection rapidly, and got so many special shows. 

But fast forward to May ‘88. I met another Bruce fan they professional association, and took her to MSG 5/18/88. The next week I received by trade a show I had been seeking ever since I attended it - 8/20/84. We both played hooky from work one afternoon and ended up at my apartment so I could play Drift Away for her. We danced, oh so slow and oh so close. Her name was Sandy.

Yes, I remember that listen. 

And the rest is history.................... sounds like a physical memory this one!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Hearing the River album back in the early 80's.

Also, Piece De Resistance bootleg from the Passaic show '78 tour.

You reminded me there of Piece de resistance another epic, think it came out not long after Winterland, but Winterland vividly sticks in my memories.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I need some kind of timeline because i remember a friend playing BTR for me and me saying i didn't like his voice ..... But sometime between then and June 1978 something had changed because i was at the record store buying Darkness on release day .... And The Badlands/Adam double cemented the conversion .... And the No Nukes performance of Quarter To Three where i realized i would hold up a bank to see the guy if I had to.

  • Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thunder Road - went in to my sis room 7 o clock saturday morning, woke her up, and said: "Listen to this". "Shut up! I do it later". 11 o clock she's been listening to it at least thrice. I knock on the door and theres a smile I wont forget. 





 

  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While growing my boot collection in 85-86 I was getting shows from 74-75, and 76-78, and 80-81, and the "current" tour. I remember getting the 11/4/76 show from the Palladium, and putting it in my cassette deck and hitting play. When it got to It's My Life, I swear I could feel the heat of bodies in a close room, see the curl of smoke and inhale the inevitable smell of cigarettes in that era. That track from that show is so, so powerful.

  • Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First time hearing the Roxy '78 bootleg... Those performances of Candy's Room... Point Blank... first time I'd ever heard that back-to-back transition from Racing to Thunder Road... and that version of Twist and Shout that felt like it went on forever and was still too short...

Haven't had that kind of visceral experience listening to a show for the first time since.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JimCT said:

While growing my boot collection in 85-86 I was getting shows from 74-75, and 76-78, and 80-81, and the "current" tour. I remember getting the 11/4/76 show from the Palladium, and putting it in my cassette deck and hitting play. When it got to It's My Life, I swear I could feel the heat of bodies in a close room, see the curl of smoke and inhale the inevitable smell of cigarettes in that era. That track from that show is so, so powerful.

It's my life, good shout, I remember tracking this song down and u r right, it didn't disappoint 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...