Greasy Lake Community

40 years anniversary The River

Today 40 years ago Bruce released his double album The River. A good reason to play The Ties That Bind boxset and watch the legendary Tempe dvd’s!!

Happy Anniversary!!

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

The first album i got when exploring the back catalog 

Listened to it every day for over a year 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

My favourite Bruce album.....nowhere near his best album, but my favourite album.

Also this is the one that made me a fan all those years ago.

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, davemunday said:

Maybe Bruce could tour the album playing it start to finish  every night...

Well most of us missed out

So yes !

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, Marnix said:

Today 40 years ago Bruce released his double album The River. A good reason to play The Ties That Bind boxset and watch the legendary Tempe dvd’s!!

Happy Anniversary!!

Thanks for the reminder Marnix. I can't even begin to express how much this album means to me.  A roller coaster of all of life's emotions good and bad crammed into 83 incredible minutes.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 2
Just now, Early North Jersey said:

Thanks for the reminder Marnix. I can't even begin to express how much this album means to me.  A roller coaster of all of life's emotions good and bad crammed into 83 incredible minutes.

For me it is possible to separate ENJ from the river record

Its like Welby and incident 

Your in that record Bob 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Not so sure 17th October is the official release/anniversary date, for a start albums in the UK were released on Monday's up till recently, albums in USA i thought were

released on Tuesday's but that may have changed.

THE RIVER is the true touchstone for me. It grabbed me when I was 14 years old and never let go. While not strictly nostalgia, these songs take me back to a time and place when they found their way into my head and into my heart, when the possibilities of the art form became real and tangible.

It's all there on the records: love, loss, beauty, dread, hope, isolation -- the human experience writ large through Rock & Roll. Maybe articulating that was beyond me in 1981 but I certainly felt it.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Well, I've always seen The River as the inevitable reaction to the sublime "straitjacket" that Darkness On the Edge of Town was in terms of thematic cohesion and maniac recording precision. The River is human nature (and the E Street Band) escaping from that. But being above all a Darkness album fan, I've always felt The River a little bit unfocused and lacking in narrative. Also, discovering it in the early Nineties (as a teenager), I've always found its sound much older that it actually is.  Like listening to something that might have been recorded in the Sixties. I later realized that this is what makes the album great, but I still have some hard time fully getting into it.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, The Chicken Man said:

Not so sure 17th October is the official release/anniversary date

According to Wikipedia 17 October 1980. According to the Blinded By The Light book, 17 October 1980 released in the U.K. According to the Backstreets book, 17 October 1980 released in the U.S.A. (and all this information in less than 5 minutes, ladies and gentlemen!)

On 10/17/2020 at 10:09 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

The first album i got when exploring the back catalog 

For me too. Except for me it was only the six albums pre-BUSA (and a few other things; B-Sides, No Nukes etc.).

35 years ago, around this time of year (a little bit earlier probably, September, but could be October too). As they say, and the rest was history (and an awful lot of money spend on vinyl bootlegs, cd bootlegs, cassette tapes, rare vinyl, books and fanzines etc. (compared to many others on this forum, not that much on concert tickets)).

For many years I've struggled with the album (better: with the weaker tracks on it, or the songs which are considered the weaker tracks on it); as a result -as I said before- I've listened to Side 1 more than the other 3 sides combined; combined a few times, even, probably. Over the years I've come to re-appreciate the album more (especially the much-maligned River Rockers), and also the River Tour. The Largo 1980 video was an important thing in this. Still 3 songs on the album I don't like, still don't like after all those years.

In the end, The River is -like said a few times by others in previous posts in this topic- an album about life, and more than the sum of its parts; like many vinyl double albums, removing the weaker tracks to create a very strong single album leads to less than the sum of its parts, not the complete picture.

Of course The River could have been a very strong double album too with a better song selection (i.e. if Steve would have won more discussions), but that is another topic, another story.

• Like 1

I remember feeling such excitement because it was to be the first new album release since I became a fan - and to get a double album seemed like the icing on the fandom cake:-)

Forty years - where has the time gone?

• Like 2

Even if we never get another archive release from 80/81 (though I really hope we do), it's been an incredible run:

NO NUKES
THE RIVER remastered
RIVER Outtakes disc
THE TIES THAT BIND album (The River: Single Album?  Revisionist pap.)
Tempe/Tour Rehearsal Blu-ray
Box set book
Tempe audio
Nassau (x2)
Wembley
Byrne

• Like 1