Greasy Lake Community

It's all good, apart from....

4 minutes ago, philipboyle said:

the truly beautiful House Of A Thousand Guitars. 

This really seems to be the "marmite track". I've just been reading another post from someone saying how bad it is.

For what its worth, Rainmaker is possibly my least favourite (although I don't dislike it by any means), and I do really like House Of a Thousand Guitars.

Rainmaker takes a few listens...but it is a cracking song in my view.

House of a thousand guitars is wonderful...my favourite song on the record, with The Power of Prayer a close second.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, *Janey* said:

I'm the different kid who really likes Rainmaker and dislikes HOATG. :lol:

I’m with you, though I don’t really dislike House of a Thousand Guitars. At least not yet. It’s definitely one of the weakest on the album though.

• Like 1

Agree that Rainmaker is rather plodding and that House of a Thousand Guitars is to my mind simply wonderful. Rainmaker reminds me of the parts of Into the Fire when the full band kicks in. The lyrics are great but the chorus doesn't quite work. I know Bruce mentioned this as being a song written some while back, probably around the Magic era - does the fact that Toby Scott is credited as engineering on this, Burnin' Train and One Minute You're Here mean all 3 are older songs? And no Soozie at all on the album, for the first time since - well, pre the Reunion era I guess.

I was playing songs on Youtube that I'd already heard then a song came on that I didn't know ... Rainmaker ... so I turned it off.

Can't wait to hear it tomorrow ... hopefully. Howay postie, get yer skates on, man!

• Bruuuuce! 1

A re-worked version of Rainmaker has the potential to be the best track on the album. I have a hunch they gave it a shot during the 4-day session but ultimately decided the mid-2000's version gave the track a different vibe to the remaining tracks. It is a nod to that era as I've read elsewhere there are nods within the album to various eras in Bruce's career. Pre E Street, Classic band sound, Solo acoustic shut-the-fuck-up tour and post reunion era's are all represented sonically

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, Old English Town said:

Agree that Rainmaker is rather plodding and that House of a Thousand Guitars is to my mind simply wonderful. Rainmaker reminds me of the parts of Into the Fire when the full band kicks in. The lyrics are great but the chorus doesn't quite work. I know Bruce mentioned this as being a song written some while back, probably around the Magic era - does the fact that Toby Scott is credited as engineering on this, Burnin' Train and One Minute You're Here mean all 3 are older songs? And no Soozie at all on the album, for the first time since - well, pre the Reunion era I guess.

Did i see Soozie for 2 seconds on the doco ?

15 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I was playing songs on Youtube that I'd already heard then a song came on that I didn't know ... Rainmaker ... so I turned it off.

Can't wait to hear it tomorrow ... hopefully. Howay postie, get yer skates on, man!

You are a lesson in self control :)

Rainmaker kind of sounds like The Rising album with the sample of WTCOOO spiced with American Beauty.. 

---

I hear those nods also that jukeblue mentioned. Actually the whole album sounds like his whole career.

For example One Minute You're here: Sometimes it takes me to Stolen Car (some sounds), sometimes Devils And Dust (singing), sometimes TOL album(sounds)..

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, biloxiparish said:

For example One Minute You're here: Sometimes it takes me to Stolen Car (some sounds), sometimes Devils And Dust (singing), sometimes TOL album(sounds)..

I only heard this on the film and, at the moment, that's the one I've not listened to again. I didn't buy D&D and didn't like Nebraska, always thinking the latter could have done with a bit of a melody. This song sounds like the others could have if he'd given them a tune. Looking forward to hearing it again when the cd finally arrives.

20 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I only heard this on the film and, at the moment, that's the one I've not listened to again. I didn't buy D&D and didn't like Nebraska, always thinking the latter could have done with a bit of a melody. This song sounds like the others could have if he'd given them a tune. Looking forward to hearing it again when the cd finally arrives.

...but you love Joad right ? ;)

Well, this may be an unpopular take right now, but when our intoxication and enthusiasm for the gorgeous E Street album sound fades a bit, I predict that Rainmaker will be re-evaluated as the song that "saves" Letter to You from its major weakness; that is, the fact of featuring several songs that are pretty simple, or very similar as far as intros, structure and arrangement are concerned. (Or, to paraphrase Neil Young, 'It's all one song'). In the long run, Rainmaker (and Burnin' Train, to some extent) will be seen as a heathy and welcome "pause" in track-list that at times may sound redundant, especially to non die-hards.

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Did i see Soozie for 2 seconds on the doco ?

Just at the beginning when he was talking about the musicians that back him. There's no suggestion that she was part of the sessions.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Old English Town said:

And no Soozie at all on the album, for the first time since - well, pre the Reunion era I guess.

And as Soozie was in the Sessions Band, she is also the one who was most on stage with Bruce from Rising Tour onwards.

About the topic: Rainmaker is now my least favourite track at the album also, but I guess this could change in time.

As said in previous post in this topic, the fact that it sounds different than the other songs seems now in its disadvantage, but might turn out an advantage in the longer term.

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

...but you love Joad right ? ;)

No. Apart from the title song.

I saw him during that Tour, in Belfast, and almost fell asleep. That's when I wasn't laughing at the falsetto.

• Haha 1

I'm definitely with the Rainmaker fan club here. On first listen, I was very disappointed with PoP and HOATG - most of his recent albums have had a lackluster song that sounded like filler to me, but two in a row? Rainmaker got me back on track. The different production and overall sound is a bit of a problem here, I agree, but lyrically I think it's one of his best this century. Love the way he sings the chorus, how he rolls the "r" at the end of "rainmakerrrrrr", and that chord change on the second "so bad" (as opposed to on the more obvious first one) pushes it over the top. I can see this working really well in concert, the build-ups to the chorus, the raw emotion. I think it sounds more real and heartfelt than for example his vocals at the end of HOATG. Compare that to the end of Janey or his singing on Back in Your Arms. Just a totally different world.

• Like 2