Greasy Lake Community

It's all good, apart from....

For me there is no complete clunker on this album. Maybe Ghosts, actually, is the track that comes closest with the slightly lame opening lyrics. Rainmaker isn't an exceptional song but I don't think it is bad either. House of a Thousand Guitars is one of the albums highlights on my first listens

The divergent views regarding certain songs is intriguing. Rainmaker is not my fave, but it has grown on me and I enjoy the lyrics very much. And I like the chorus lol. IMO there is not a true clunker on this album. They all work for me at some level, and I'm sure that will evolve. 30 years ago if you'd told me I'm Goin' Down would become my favorite tune from BITUSA I would have called you nuts. My current favorite from LTY is Priest followed closely by Ghosts. 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

7 hours ago, Eileen said:

No. Apart from the title song.

I saw him during that Tour, in Belfast, and almost fell asleep. That's when I wasn't laughing at the falsetto.

I think i can squeeze out a bit more love for Joad to counter balance you ;)

I just love those 3 acoustic records 

Which tour date did you get to ?

4 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Whenever the Belfast concert was. That's the one where I turned down his autograph. I have photos but don't think they're online.

Ill have to track down the bootleg and see if i can hear you snoring :lol:

I always like to imangine i can hear the people we know Bruuuucing but in this case zzzzzzzzzzzing ;)

• Haha 2

I didn’t like Rainmaker at first blush... the chorus comes in early and intense and just kind of bowls you over. Then I actually skipped it as I was cruising through the album the next few times. 

But it came on when I was doing the dishes and it played through and I actually really like it. And there’s lots of Bruce forays I’ll pass on... I like the lyrics and the imagery and his vocal affect. 

I think Ghosts is my least fav. Even though I really love that crisp chimney crunch on the guitar. It’s just a little *too much* :).

Was this unfinished so didn't make Magic ?

But now listening to it, it also has a rising kind of sound to it too 

I can definatly  hear it on the American beauty EP 

Or was it still sitting waiting around, waiting to be finished so was out of contention for that also ?

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Was this unfinished so didn't make Magic ?

Somewhere it was acknowledged that it was originally about the Bush administration, so Magic seems likely.

Whether or not it was fully recorded back then, we don't know. It certainly sounds different to the rest of the album, not least because it seems to have (uncredited) horns on it.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 3:38 PM, Early North Jersey said:

Rainmaker has that modern Soozie orchestration sound that i have never loved ( ok ....there are some exceptions before some on calls me out on GITSC which i love  ) ....But it doesn't sound like the E Street Band from the classic era ..... The rest of the album screams classic era ESB.

You’ve nailed it!‘ Soozie orchestration’ Exactly what I think , it’s just an annoying part of his 21stcentury releases . I’ll add that having listened to that wonderful early rendition of Thundercrack on the lake this morning  I would add that Jakes sax playing is just nowhere near Clarences ... maybe explains why it’s not so prominent on the new album . 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 8:27 AM, romasb said:

I'm definitely with the Rainmaker fan club here. On first listen, I was very disappointed with PoP and HOATG - most of his recent albums have had a lackluster song that sounded like filler to me, but two in a row? Rainmaker got me back on track. The different production and overall sound is a bit of a problem here, I agree, but lyrically I think it's one of his best this century. Love the way he sings the chorus, how he rolls the "r" at the end of "rainmakerrrrrr", and that chord change on the second "so bad" (as opposed to on the more obvious first one) pushes it over the top. I can see this working really well in concert, the build-ups to the chorus, the raw emotion. I think it sounds more real and heartfelt than for example his vocals at the end of HOATG. Compare that to the end of Janey or his singing on Back in Your Arms. Just a totally different world.

Yes, Rainmaker is so bad....... so so bad. I dont are what Bruce says, The production in this screams Wrecking Ball. Its so obvious. I guess they were too lazy to re cut this or re mix it.

33 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

You’ve nailed it!‘ Soozie orchestration’ Exactly what I think , it’s just an annoying part of his 21stcentury releases . I’ll add that having listened to that wonderful early rendition of Thundercrack on the lake this morning  I would add that Jakes sax playing is just nowhere near Clarences ... maybe explains why it’s not so prominent on the new album . 

But Charlie on the other hand is awsome

(No disrespect to Danny)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I am not sure what to say about Jake .... I mean i am sure he can play ....Maybe Bruce has just lost interest in writing for the Sax ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

I am not sure what to say about Jake .... I mean i am sure he can play ....Maybe Bruce has just lost interest in writing for the Sax ?

Yes, I would like to have heard more sax breaks on the record.

However Jake still has some stellar saxophone moments on LTY. I particularly like the one on The Power of Prayer.

• Like 4

The weakest song on this album is Last Man Standing. It’s just a plodder , a forgetful one I’m afraid . It’s weird that the power of prayer is an improved version of LMS . I’m going to give Rainmaker a bit more time but it seems a plodder too at moment . The rest of the album is superb.